Factory Navigation vs portable GPS or phone GPS? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Factory Navigation vs portable GPS or phone GPS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Left Front, Right Front , Center, Left Rear, Right Rear. Independent sound coming from each of those speakers. That's 5.1 ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Left Front, Right Front , Center, Left Rear, Right Rear. Independent sound coming from each of those speakers.

That's 5.1 surround sound. The .1 is the Subwoofer.

They are called channels. Stereo is 2 channels regardless of how many speakers carry the sound. There are only 2 discrete sound sources.

True surround sound (there are fake kinds) offers more independent sources of sound, some from behind the listener.

In your car that will be the speakers in the seat. Also anyone in the back seat gets there own surround sound. The center speaker is at the back of the center console below the vents.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Factory Navigation vs portable GPS or phone GPS?

So in stereo (as opposed to mono) there are no more than 2 sound sources? Are they left/right? Also, is this known as 2.1, the .1 being a woofer? And I guess 2.0 would be sans the woofer.

Just did a little research and 7.1 exists. Cool.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I now get what you mean by your comment about there not being a clear distinction between the channels.

So you can mess with the settings and make it so there is a clearer distinction between the channels when using DVD-A in our car?

With the native DVD-A format it is 5.1 surround with very little loss of quality from digital compression. When you play a disc in the Nav/Stereo in our cars you'll see PPCM at the top of the screen.

That should be the best sound possible, but I've noticed that our units don't handle it right. The clarity is there, but it's almost like they mix it back down to 2 channels. So you don't hear what the sound engineer intended with 5 discrete channels.

Most of the DVD-A discs have other tracks (other sections on the disc) that you can select for compatibility with regular DVD players. They will be encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (this one is a little better....less compression than Dolby Digital).

I play most of mine in these modes because you can really hear the surround mix the way it was intended. The downside is more compression than PPCM and some loss of fidelity, but they sound really good. Just try it different ways and see what you like.

Also, I have several DVD Video discs. Not to watch, but they are live music concerts that sound great in surround sound. So I have 3 types of discs that work for true surround.

The reason I miss my lockpick is that the buttons you need to press to get to those other tracks get greyed out while moving. So I have to stop to do that. But luckily it does remember if I shut off the car and still want to play the same disc. It's just when I change discs and want to change modes.

My lockpick has a problem so I had to take it out.

Nice thanks for the info. I do love that the car saves audio settings for different audio sources. So that's good.

Got a couple of DVD-A albums and I compared tracks off these albums to the same tracks only on my iPod, off of iTunes.

First off, much more crisp, clear sound. Less of a muffled sound relatively speaking.

As for the surround sound, here's an example of what I noticed. On the iPod, there was a certain song where you had the constant pat pat pat from the hi-hat throughout the song. It sounded like the hi-hat was coming from the speaker on the passenger's side, at the base of the windshield.

Same song, but in surround sound, It was coming from the center speaker at the base of the windshield. Then i moved to the passenger's seat, and it was coming from the passenger side speaker at the base of the windshield.

So no matter where I sat, the sound was coming from directly to my front right with the surround sound whereas with the iPod, no matter where I sat, the sound was coming from the passenger side speaker at the base of the windshield. Interesting.

That being said, if I was in my car and I played the song on the iPod and then again with the DVD-A with passengers in the car, I doubt anyone would notice the difference. I only think I even noticed because I was listening for the difference honestly. But I do appreciate the clarity of the sound and I would buy more DVD-A discs if some of the prices weren't so ridiculous.

I definitely recommend checking out the (not so vast) selection of DVD-A discs available online and picking a reasonably priced one you think you'll enjoy based on the type of music you like.

Have you tried the different modes via different sections of the disc using the search button and/or the audio button?

I usually put mine in Dolby Digital or DTS mode to hear the full multi channel sound. You also have to make sure the Multi Channel button is pressed.

PPCM mode sounds great. Really clear, but in our cars it doesn't decode the 5.1 mix correctly. The cool thing about DTS CDs is that they only decode one way, in surround mode.

A lot does depend on the quality of the master recording and how good the engineer was, but when I listen in surround mode it's like night and day compared to an MP3 recording.

I have some discs where sounds rotate around your head, behind you and side to side. You should hear Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.......crazy. Another great one is a best of The Police disc, but I have several.

Wish they still made them.

I'll see if I can access different section of the disc. And yes I was in PPCM mode. Saw that up top. I can do the police for sure. Might have to pick that one up.

Not saying to spend this much. You can probably do better, but this is the one I was talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-POLICE-E...item1c3eeb1d8c

It has a really cool slower version of De Do Do Do De Da Da Da.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.