high beam gets stuck?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KRSTS
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, high beam gets stuck? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Some times when I turn my right turn signal on the high beam comes on and doesn't go off until ...
    B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd

high beam gets stuck?

Some times when I turn my right turn signal on the high beam comes on and doesn't go off until I turn off the turn signal. First time I thought I accidentally hit it but I didn't. And if the right turn signal on then I hit the high beam it doesn't go off until I turn off the turn signal. Could it be the switch messing up and if so is it a job that I would be able to undertake myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MCNE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gold 2007 STS4 V8 1SG

Re: high beam gets stuck?

The switch being messed up is what it sounds like. Search the forum because I've seen this somewhere else before looking to solve my Hi-Beam issue.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

mine does the exact same thing but only when the headlights are on. Coincidence I think not. must be a common defect.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

If the problem is the switch the question becomes one of your comfort level. When I installed my rear fog lights I had to replace it. I didn't find it difficult but there are a few items that must come apart. Probably the biggest risk I saw was removing the plastic cover around the steering column. The two halves snap together in a way that unless you manipulate it correctly, you could scratch it. A dealership did this when they replaced my HUD projector.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by B1n2fra View Post
    Some times when I turn my right turn signal on the high beam comes on and doesn't go off until I turn off the turn signal. First time I thought I accidentally hit it but I didn't. And if the right turn signal on then I hit the high beam it doesn't go off until I turn off the turn signal. Could it be the switch messing up and if so is it a job that I would be able to undertake myself?
    Hello B1n2fra,

I am sorry to hear that your high beams aren’t turning off until you turn off the turn signal. I do see that you are reaching out to the community about doing this yourself. If you do plan on taking your vehicle into a Cadillac dealership to have them look further into this, please feel free to private message me and I would be happy to assist you in setting up an appointment. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I will be sure to be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    mine does the exact same thing but only when the headlights are on. Coincidence I think not. must be a common defect.
    Hello KRSTS,

I apologize that your vehicle is experiencing the same concern. Are you planning on taking your vehicle into a Cadillac dealership to look further into this concern?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello B1n2fra,

I apologize that your vehicle is experiencing the same concern. Are you planning on taking your vehicle into a Cadillac dealership to look further into this concern?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    No because it is just a minor annoyance and the dealer's so called "technicians" will just screw something else up.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The signal lever is in the $60 range from a dealer, I'd bet Chris @ Rippy Cadillac could get you a good price on a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    No because it is just a minor annoyance and the dealer's so called "technicians" will just screw something else up.
    Hello KRSTS,

I am sorry to hear that you feel as though the technicians at the dealership will create a new concern on your vehicle. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and if you do change your mind, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message in the future.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello KRSTS,

I am sorry to hear that you feel as though the technicians at the dealership will create a new concern on your vehicle. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and if you do change your mind, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message in the future.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Meanwhile, feel free to bring this up to the powers that be. Cadillac owners have a lack of confidence in the abilities of the technicians at the dealer service stations. Maybe GM should have a better grip on their dealers and how qualified their techs are instead of letting dealers run wild and do whatever they want. I've seaid this before; even though GM has very limited control over its dealers, in the end, the dealer's screw ups reflect poorly on GM, not just the dealer. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Meanwhile, feel free to bring this up to the powers that be. Cadillac owners have a lack of confidence in the abilities of the technicians at the dealer service stations. Maybe GM should have a better grip on their dealers and how qualified their techs are instead of letting dealers run wild and do whatever they want. I've seaid this before; even though GM has very limited control over its dealers, in the end, the dealer's screw ups reflect poorly on GM, not just the dealer. Thanks.
    Hello Guy.Seminerio,

I have definitely documented this feedback and passed it along in the past and I would be more than happy to document your feedback at this time as well. If KRSTS would like to participate in filling out a dealership complaint as to why he has these feelings, I would be more than happy to document this for the specific dealership that can be reviewed by other groups within our organization. Please feel free to private message me if you have any experiences you would like to document as well. Thanks for responding to my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    Meanwhile, feel free to bring this up to the powers that be.
    I second this. After getting the Escalade back with low beams pointed sky high, then taking it back, then taking it back AGAIN, I had to teach one of the senior mechanics at my dealer the basic principles of aiming headlights. He looked at me like I was an alien. I also asked them for advice when I was looking at my STS. They tried to tell me that it was just as prone to head gasket and case seal issues as the older ones. These are just two of MANY examples of their inadequacy. As a GM nut, this stuff infuriates me. You would think dealership management would seek out individuals who appreciate and are genuinely excited about the products they sell.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

If you passed it along then you've done what you can. It's not a specific complaint about a certain dealer. Rather (granted this is an online forum) a widespread negative view about them. If someone is on the fence about buying a Cadillac and they read two or three negative stories about dealer service, that'll probably seal the deal for them looking elsewhere.

It's definitely not all of them but there are a good enough amount of them to shed a negative light on Cadillac dealer service.

arnettw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

The same thing happened to my 2006 STS. First the right turn signal would turn the high beam on, but it would go out when the turn signal cut off after the turn was completed. It progressed to the point the left turn signal would turn on the high beams. One night it got so bad that I would have to turn the signal left and right numerous times to get the high beams off. Some may consider this an annoyance; however it is not to me or to other drivers to have the bright lights in their eyes. Note it even happened to me with the lights off. Solution. Had the directional switch replaced. It was defective so it was also replaced. No further problems with that item By the way It happened at the 96K mark. Vehicle has been excellent so for. It is not being serviced by a dealer since my original dealer was part of the close out and the next dealer switched oils with out asking for my permission or for that matter telling me. The invoice was how I knew. My first dealer was super. The second not so forthcoming. Technically qualified? I don't know, but he will not be given the chance to demonstrate that skill.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.