Slow Crank, no start issue.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Slow Crank, no start issue. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So for the past two months I have been battling a slow Crank/no start issues which has left me stranded ...
    06WhiteDiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

Slow Crank, no start issue.

So for the past two months I have been battling a slow Crank/no start issues which has left me stranded now quite a few times.

Basically the car will crank but not turn over on the first start. It usually turns over on the second start but sometimes even that doesn't do it.

I have replaced the battery twice now as the slow Crank leads me to believe it's a battery issue. At this point I'm quite certain it is not the battery. It is almost as if the starter motor is pulling too many amps, a few cranks and the car will drain the battery in no time and leave me stranded.

I have checked and cleaned all ground terminals. The battery is brand new and no corrosion can be found throughout the engine bay.

At this point I am leaning towards a starter motor and just picked one up from the local GM dealer.

Can anybody chime in on what else could be wrong? 2006 sts v6 awd

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: Slow Crank, no start issue.

I thought I recalled another person mentioning needing a starter at some point.
    Maybe the Alternator is under-performing and not charging the battery back up well enough during the drive to be able to withstand the power draw from the starter.

While that is annoying you should figure out why it doesn't start during the first attempt as it should.
    Does it crank for about 10 seconds or so then you hit the start button again and then it will start?
    maybe weak fuel pump / dirty fuel filter starving the engine too much to start easy?
    I'm not sure if these cars allow us to 'give it gas' during startup but maybe next time see if putting some pressure on the pedal will get it going.

CadiTamer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 RWD

I'm betting you probably have one of two things happening: Low battery voltage for some reason, or a bearing in the starter is shot.

When the car is running, does it run well? Can you drive it hard without issues? If so, it'll likely be something wrong with the starter or charging system. A slow crank can cause a no start, as the engine has to be spinning fast enough to fire on a cylinder to get running. If it doesn't crank fast enough, it won't start.

You can try giving it gas while it's starting. You should be able to give it up to 80% throttle, but don't floor it, as that'll just put it into "clear flood mode" which is meant to get rid of extra fuel that may have built up in the cylinders during several failed starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I thought I recalled another person mentioning needing a starter at some point.
    Maybe the Alternator is under-performing and not charging the battery back up well enough during the drive to be able to withstand the power draw from the starter.

While that is annoying you should figure out why it doesn't start during the first attempt as it should.
    Does it crank for about 10 seconds or so then you hit the start button again and then it will start?
    maybe weak fuel pump / dirty fuel filter starving the engine too much to start easy?
    I'm not sure if these cars allow us to 'give it gas' during startup but maybe next time see if putting some pressure on the pedal will get it going.
    Yes it does crank for about 10 seconds and then stops as it will not fire. Sometimes it takes 3-4 cranks to even get it started. This severely drains my battery though.

Fuel filter and plugs were done last month so I can rule out spark or the fuel filter. Could be the pump but the car runs perfectly fine when it manages to turn over.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CadiTamer View Post
    I'm betting you probably have one of two things happening: Low battery voltage for some reason, or a bearing in the starter is shot.

When the car is running, does it run well? Can you drive it hard without issues? If so, it'll likely be something wrong with the starter or charging system. A slow crank can cause a no start, as the engine has to be spinning fast enough to fire on a cylinder to get running. If it doesn't crank fast enough, it won't start.

You can try giving it gas while it's starting. You should be able to give it up to 80% throttle, but don't floor it, as that'll just put it into "clear flood mode" which is meant to get rid of extra fuel that may have built up in the cylinders during several failed starts.
    Car runs just fine when it manages to turn over. Can drive it hard and don't feel any hesitation.

Alternator seems to be working, I'm leaning towards the starter.

An interesting thing to note is that when I get a friend to come boost me. All the cranks I have attempted drain the battery, if I hook up the cables the car will start up. It's almost as if the starter is pulling too many amps and when feeding off a running car it fires right up.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

I vote for a new bigger battery with more amps. Wal-Mart battery with 850amps. Work for me. Danny

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest View Post
    I vote for a new bigger battery with more amps. Wal-Mart battery with 850amps. Work for me. Danny

Battery is 1000 cranking amps and 800 cold cranking amps, replaced twice within the last two months.

I'd say starter is either weak or has a bad cable running to it that can't provide enough amperage to the starter (possibly corroded wires perhaps internally that you can't see).

CadiTamer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 RWD

Yeah, that brings you to starter or cables to starter. There's a remote chance that the starter cable could be corroded/damaged, which isn't letting full power get to the starter. Corrosion means higher resistance, which means higher amperage draw to spin the starter slower.

*Update*

Car is at my mechanics, we just pulled the starter. The shaft inside the starter broke and created a ton of play which is why the car would constantly crank and not fire as the starter could not properly ingage due to play in the shaft.

I am honestly completely suprised that I was still able to start the vehicle with the starter in such shape.

I took some pictures for your viewing pleasure. I also took a video to show the play in the shaft for future members.

DSC_0043_20140304120003647.jpg

DSC_0044_20140304120215120.jpg

DSC_0045_20140304120327406.jpg

1393626934248_20140304120425406.jpg

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

How did the starter get so corroded?

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    How did the starter get so corroded?
    Too be honest I have no Idea, I stored the caddy last year and drove my beater. Hard to give up the luxuries of driving a caddy, especially in winter. Most of the underside is rust free so I'm not sure how it got so corroded.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

This does seem consistent. 4 or 5 attempts should not seriously tax a good battery. Too bad it took so long for a solid failure to lead to a root cause & final resolution.

I hope you now have many years of reliable starts. That is more typical.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    That starter looks 20 yrs old, surprised it worked a lick. People can say what they want but GM starters work when they shouldn't.

Do you or the car live on the coast? Thinking salty air may have played a role in its corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Do you or the car live on the coast? Thinking salty air may have played a role in its corrosion.
    Toronto, Canada

They salt like crazy up these ways. I try to wash it off as often as I can but this winter took quite a beating on my baby. Not a big deal because I plan to upgrade to a V, unfortunately they are super rare around here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.