What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thought I'd ask. . . Been running 91 gas, but I seen it mentioned that 87 is fine too. Haven't ...
    samson_420 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2

What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar?

Thought I'd ask. . . Been running 91 gas, but I seen it mentioned that 87 is fine too. Haven't done a oil change yet

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cooncat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8

Re: What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar?

I run Shell regular and the full synthetic oil. There is no need to run the premium. My car runs just fine on regular. The difference, if there is any, the quality of the brands, more so than the octane. I don't believe in giving the old companies anymore of my money than I have to.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    91 or higher. Rtm. Oil any 5w30 syn will work fine. I use Mobil as GM warranty applies if I keep receipts for doing it myself.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cooncat
    I run Shell regular and the full synthetic oil. There is no need to run the premium. My car runs just fine on regular. The difference, if there is any, the quality of the brands, more so than the octane. I don't believe in giving the old companies anymore of my money than I have to.
    Bad information there.

It's all a conspiracy those octane readings mean nothing!

I say again RTM.

The 91 can make a world of difference in some cars. This one, I don't know - why I asked

Put 91 in my z28 & see what happens. My girl did it once, that thing just sounded rough & pinged like no other.

As far as the oil - I am pretty certain I will be switching to dyno oil. I just want to see if it slows the leak. I'm in AZ, so I'm thinking 10-30

In other GM's that start acting funky or leak - I run Rotella 15-40, but this thing sure does not look like it applies to this.

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420
    The 91 can make a world of difference in some cars. This one, I don't know - why I asked

Put 91 in my z28 & see what happens. My girl did it once, that thing just sounded rough & pinged like no other.

As far as the oil - I am pretty certain I will be switching to dyno oil. I just want to see if it slows the leak. I'm in AZ, so I'm thinking 10-30

In other GM's that start acting funky or leak - I run Rotella 15-40, but this thing sure does not look like it applies to this.
    I would not go to dyno oil in a lh2. If you do do not use the olm.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I would not go to dyno oil in a lh2. If you do do not use the olm.

Sorry man, lh2? and olm?

I never personally dealt with a motor this complex in this beat up of shape. It runs perfect, but it was ran very hard & sat for extreme long periods of time. I wish I could just pull it & reseal it. But, getting a whole different car may be easier. . . lol

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420

Sorry man, lh2? and olm?

I never personally dealt with a motor this complex in this beat up of shape. It runs perfect, but it was ran very hard & sat for extreme long periods of time. I wish I could just pull it & reseal it. But, getting a whole different car may be easier. . . lol
    LH2 is the build rpo code for the rwd based 4.6 Northstar with VVT.

OLM oil life monitor. Dic (driver information center) display an algorithm calculated by the ecm (engine control module) to decrease the oil life based on diving time, revs, all based on the assumption you use the correct synthetic oil.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Typically in this world.... you get what you pay for. Though, this doesn't apply to higher octane fuel (compared to regular octane). Just because high octane fuel costs more doesn't mean it's higher quality fuel! It's just different fuel.

Learn the purpose of high octane fuel and why it exists. Once you understand that concept, you'll be able to answer your own question of whether or not to use higher octane fuel.

In a nutshell, it's for higher compression engines. It has a higher flash-point thus preventing premature ignition within the cylinder during the compression stroke.

In my opinion, don't waste your money. Here is a cut n past from another post (not mine). It sheds light on octane.

..........Well... the short answer is not immediately, no. But the long drawn out answer is: Yes. The higher octane is needed for the supercharged engine because of increased temperatures and pressures in the combustion chamber. If you didn't already know, the higher the octane the slower is burns and the higher the temperature needs to be to ignite it. If you use low octane gas, which burns quickly and needs a lower temperature to ignite, it can cause pre-detonation, which is the air/fuel mix ignition before the spark plug ignites it. This is very bad, and can cause piston and spark plug damage. Now, your car DOES have means of counter-acting detonation (or knock) by electronically adjusting timing until it senses that the knock has been relieved. The downfall of this is that you lose power. No one wants that. So the best way to go is plunk down the extra .05 to .15 cents and get the good stuff if you car calls for it (if you have a high compression engine).

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    LH2 is the build rpo code for the rwd based 4.6 Northstar with VVT.
    This RPO also applies to the AWD, as is the case for the OP.

Personally, I use 91 octane and Mobil1 5w30.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali

I am pretty certain I will be switching to dyno oil.
    Mineral oil will not meet spec for this engine. Oil must be formulated to meet GM standard GM4718M* or dexos 1. You could do harm to the engine if other oil is used. GM4718M is General Motors' High Performance engine oil specification. Oils which meet GM4718M tend to be made from synthetic base stocks, so it is often referred to as a "synthetic" specification.

*dexos1® replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M.

cooncat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8

I used 91 octane when I first got my car and found no difference in performance or gas mileage when I switched over. I even used 87 in the 2.0T ATS I had as a loaner. I don't believe that car ever seen 91 in its life. If performed fine.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by cooncat View Post
    I used 91 octane when I first got my car and found no difference in performance or gas mileage when I switched over. I even used 87 in the 2.0T ATS I had as a loaner. I don't believe that car ever seen 91 in its life. If performed fine.
    One of many reasons I will NEVER buy a turbo or supercharged car that was a fleet/rental vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by cooncat View Post
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    This RPO also applies to the AWD, as is the case for the OP.

Personally, I use 91 octane and Mobil1 5w30.
    Hence why I said rwd based not rwd only lol.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cooncat
    You're a fool (a person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person) then. Had it of blown up you'd of been liable. Even the fuel door on the 2.0t cars state premium unleaded fuel only. The SRX 2.8t had a recall due to morons running regular fuel in it and it blowing up.

People must think GM prints an owners manual to slaughter thousands of innocent trees. It's an 70k luxury automobile. Take an hour and read the manual.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

1BadCadSTS, GM/Cadillac, the designer and builder of the car(s) and engine(s) in question has absolutely NO IDEA of the proper oils and gasoline to run in their engines, so consulting the recommendations in the owner's manual is a waste of time. Better to take the advice of someone who has owned one or two ricers and believes most advertising hype........ and the GM/Cadillac recommendations against running various magic potion additives in fuel, oil, coolant, transmissions is pure fantasy. The engine designers know next to nothing. Better to follow the advice of the counter geek at AutoZone.

"But, Sub !!! The guys at AutoDoodle swear by Magic Goose Grease Oil Modifier !!! It's great !!!" (Google "spiff")
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.