What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Submariner409 1BadCadSTS, GM/Cadillac, the designer and builder of the car(s) and engine(s) in question has absolutely NO ...
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    1BadCadSTS, GM/Cadillac, the designer and builder of the car(s) and engine(s) in question has absolutely NO IDEA of the proper oils and gasoline to run in their engines, so consulting the recommendations in the owner's manual is a waste of time. Better to take the advice of someone who has owned one or two ricers and believes most advertising hype........ and the GM/Cadillac recommendations against running various magic potion additives in fuel, oil, coolant, transmissions is pure fantasy. The engine designers know next to nothing. Better to follow the advice of the counter geek at AutoZone.

"But, Sub !!! The guys at AutoDoodle swear by Magic Goose Grease Oil Modifier !!! It's great !!!" (Google "spiff")
    Hahahahhahahahahaha.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: What oil & gas do you run in your 4.6 Northstar?

Drive your N* and never, ever, cut corners on oil quality. The OLM margin is 100% in normal use; that means you have to run your STS as a taxi to invalidate the Oil Life Monitor with the 4.6 V8.

Use top tier gas or count on cleaning your fuel system far more often than you would otherwise. Our 2006 & 2007 owners manuals clearly state we can use regular gas at 87 octane although we can expect reduced performance and fuels with octanes below 87 should not be used and can damage the engine. I have only seen octanes below 87 in the mountains and high planes; there's a lot less oxygen and detonation is not a serious issue. Some cars' mileage suffers with lower octane fuels but that has not been our experience with any Northstar V8. (I had a Ford 4.6 24-valve V8 that each point of octane was worth 1 MPG.)

Around here, the gas retailers have wised-up. 89 octane is $.20 more than regular and premium is octane 103 at $.20 more than that. Cadillac is right, it runs better. But neither of our cars ping or knock on 87. The anti-detonation sensors and adjustments work under a wide range of conditions.

YMMV and you should be guided by your own opinions. For example, my wife never upgrades to higher octane, whereas I often do. But cost is a factor. I'm more likely to buy regular when I'm stuck paying higher prices and the fuel is still Top Tier.

-------

I screwed up, I meant 93 octane Premium. (100 & up is racing furl & Nav gas like posted later.) Oops!

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

103 octane??
    wow.
    best you see here is 91 and yes its still $0.40 more than 87.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    103 octane??
    wow.
    best you see here is 91 and yes its still $0.40 more than 87.
    93 here in PA. 105 is racing fuel. Where is 103... I'm moving lol.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You can buy avgas at a local regional airport - some recip aircraft still use maybe 100/110 or 110/130. It will do exactly nothing for performance or power, however.

Max advance BTDC is electronically fixed, so octanes higher than 91/93 (high octanes = slower burning fuels) are a waste of time and money. 87 octane is the faster burning fuel, which is why it needs slightly retarded ignition (from maximum) to better control part- and full-throttle flame travel ("ping", "knock"). The ONLY time advance is electronically retarded from the optimum settings is when some level of spark knock is detected - and that is only a degree or two and it's so dynamic that you'll never feel it.

"Retarded ignition" - Say your system is calibrated for a maximum road cruising load advance of 35 degrees BTDC. Retarding it, as in power application, hills, passing - may drop it to 24 degrees BTDC - but as soon as you ease off the gas it goes right back to 33 - 35 BTDC. In my STS I see 34 BTDC at 70 cruise. Punch it to pass or do a 130+ speed run and timing drops back to the mid 20s. That's right - Your engine is running a LOT less advance at WOT than it does cruising on the Interstate.

Slower burning fuel ???? Yep - that allows the fuel burn to act on the top of the piston for a longer duration in the most efficient part of the piston stroke - more closely controlled power over a broader piston movement band. BUT - if the engine is not designed and calibrated to take advantage of that extra efficiency, simply changing fuels does nothing but raise operating costs.

Buy a ScanGauge or UltraGauge and set it up to watch 4 real time "gauges" - I watch Ignition Advance, MAP (inverse manifold vacuum), Intake Air Temperature and Coolant temperature.
    mckellyb likes this.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    '06 STS N*

Nothing but top tier gas (it's a thing, not a description), premium 95% of the time - http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html GM is an official supporter of this industry trade group.

Mobil 1 Syn, just like it says on the oil cap & in the manual.

Top tier 87 just drops power a little, but I don't like sluggish when not-so-sluggish is available.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

I use castrol gold bottles and k and n oil filter every other oil change because a used filter filters better than a new per guy on Bob is oil guy site. And gas I use 93 and every blue moon some sunoco racing gas just 2 gallons. And I use 2 stroke oil in my tank every time and I have 155k on odometer and she feels strong. I only use 93 in my cars it's a 5 buck difference if that

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

STSJr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I have the N* and run Costco premium gas because it is the same price as regular on the west coast. I also put Mobil 1 synthetic because it's the best and it lasts longer. My Caddy runs perfect.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

K&N is made and painted by the same filter company that makes a dozen or so brands of oil filters. But that little nut on the bottom is worth $3 and 9.235 hp at idle.

How come no car manufacturer on earth recommends running a used filter ?????

Used filter = media with some level of trapped contaminants = more media resistance to oil flow = filter/adapter bypass valve always partially or fully open = NO filtration.

If ANYONE takes the info in BITOG as gospel you do not deserve to drive/own a car.

Has it occurred to you that, until the oil warms to close to 160 degrees+, a LOT of it is bypassed around the filter media and goes straight to the lube oil passages ???

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warren View Post
    I use castrol gold bottles and k and n oil filter every other oil change because a used filter filters better than a new per guy on Bob is oil guy site.
    Ummmmmm...................... NO. You are grossly misled.

Do some homework (read it - don't just look at it) and click on this and the embedded links. http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

K and n wix Napa gold same filters big deal I don't stay by a Napa and wix is never in stock. And to be honest I've read it not just on there but I'll do what I've been doing. If it tears up I'll buy me an xlrv like I've been wanting for the last couple of years.

----------

And I don't go off oil life indicator. I change my oil every 5000 miles and dump bad out filter and reuse. Maybe I'm wasting money but my engine is clean and feels happy. And funny you tell me to do homework when you should too. And car manufacturer does say every other change for some in the manual. But I say keep the oil changed and stay running good gas in these cars

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    "Good gas"? Do some reasherch on octane. What it is, why an engine does or doesn't require high octane fuel... It has nothing to do with being "good" or "better".

Can you enlighten me as to what the advantages are of adding 2 stroke lawn mower oil to the fuel of your 4 stroke automotive engine are?
    malatu likes this.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

I've compared 93 octane to 87 at a local, new station...same pump, identical daily commute, even buy fuel at the same time of day. I mean, it doesn't vary more than a couple of minutes over the course of a month, that's how repeatable my commute is.

No change in MPG. None. No change in perceived power, either. I have an Ultragauge, and while I've not set up a timing readout, I might.

I think the 'extra' power gained is so minimal, it's not worth $0.30/gallon. There's likely more variance due to ambient air temperature.

Otherwise, I'm a long-time fan, since the 80s, of Mobil 1. The Northstar got 5W-30 last time, but 10W-30 before that. She'll get 10W-30 again, next time, because I found a case of it I had yet to use in the garage.

OLM give me about 12K-13K between changes, and I've been using 10K mile changes on multiple cars for decades with M1. Never. A. Problem.

Wix filters...can get them on Amazon. High quality, reasonable price.

I also have a K&N oil bath filter, but that's for long-term economy/lack of waste, not performance. Again, have had these in the past, a couple over 200K miles, never a problem...ever.

Then again, I also have the 'lower' half of the intake box removed, for MOAR INTAKE ROAR.

It sounds nice. Plus, no need to remove anything to check air filter condition. Zip ties are your friend.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Yes, what are the advantages of 2 stroke lawn mower oil in your fuel. Do you gain any lubrication advantages? But at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Can you enlighten me as to what the advantages are of adding 2 stroke law mower oil to the fuel of your 4 stroke automotive engine are?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.