Gas mileage - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Gas mileage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; City driving is a killer. . . .I get like 230 per tank Highway is way better It's 4.6 BTW...
    samson_420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-4

Re: Gas mileage

City driving is a killer. . . .I get like 230 per tank

Highway is way better

It's 4.6 BTW

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Cold weather & remote starts don't help much either.

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
    Ok, back on topic. Why would you think you could possibly get better gas mileage by going faster? It's always been my understanding that the faster you go the more energy (gasoline) consumed (as well as greater wind resistance).
    It's not a "think", it's a fact.

As to why, CadiTamer's explanation makes perfect sense.

P.S. Not only do I get better mileage at 90mph, it's also more fun to drive

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Yes, driving 75 mph in 5th gear is more efficient than driving 40 in 3rd gear but if someone thinks they are getting better gas mileage driving at 90 mph than at 65 mph they are greatly misinformed.

This might offer some scientific explanation as to why you don't increase MPG by driving faster.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...uestion477.htm

It does depend upon the gear & torque converter lockup like Malatu observes, but drag increases geometrically with velocity through the air unless you are 'drafting'.

Yes, driving 75 mph in 5th gear is more efficient than driving 40 in 3rd gear but if someone thinks they are getting better gas mileage driving at 90 mph than at 65 mph they are greatly misinformed.

This might offer some scientific explanation as to why you don't increase MPG by driving faster.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...uestion477.htm
    Whatever guy, I don't know how to read simple numbers Of course you know better than me how much gas my car burns, why wouldn't you? After all, you know everything, right?

Here is a quote from the article you apparently missed: " In general, smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic cars will get their best mileage at higher speeds. Bigger, heavier, less aerodynamic vehicles will get their best mileage at lower speeds.

If you drive your car in the "sweet spot" you will get the best possible mileage for that car. If you go faster or slower, the mileage will get worse, but the closer you drive to the sweet spot the better mileage you will get. "

I'm not suggesting your car or any other car doesn't have a "sweet spot". Though I am curious. What makes you think the sweet spot of your (our) STS is 90 mph?

Quote Originally Posted by atlrus View Post
    Whatever guy, I don't know how to read simple numbers Of course you know better than me how much gas my car burns, why wouldn't you? After all, you know everything, right?

Here is a quote from the article you apparently missed: " In general, smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic cars will get their best mileage at higher speeds. Bigger, heavier, less aerodynamic vehicles will get their best mileage at lower speeds.

If you drive your car in the "sweet spot" you will get the best possible mileage for that car. If you go faster or slower, the mileage will get worse, but the closer you drive to the sweet spot the better mileage you will get. "

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

The lower your rpms are the better off you're going to be. At 90 your car isn't exactly loafing along at 2k rpms. Also the faster you go the more of a negative impact drag has on fuel economy. My guess would be you get the best mileage when you're at the minimum speed your car will allow you to be while in the highest gear possible. For example in the v you can shift to 6th as early as 42-43 mph. This would be the sweet spot. Lowest possible rpms and lowest possible drag.

...and lockup the torque converter to the extent possible....

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Agree: highest gear, locked torque converter and lowest speed will yield highest mpg.

I'm not suggesting your car or any other car doesn't have a "sweet spot". Though I am curious. What makes you think the sweet spot of your (our) STS is 90 mph?
    I've already given my reasons earlier.

I am not claiming that driving faster will increase your fuel economy. All I'm saying is that my STS gets the best mileage at 85-90mph.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

I think what some of the rest of us are saying is that what you claim goes against any 'standard', ever set forward, for mileage (ever published); maybe check those numbers again (I/we remain skeptical).

And remember what George said to Jerry (on "Seinfeld"), "It's not a lie if you believe it". Still doesn't make it true though.

Quote Originally Posted by atlrus View Post
    I've already given my reasons earlier.

I am not claiming that driving faster will increase your fuel economy. All I'm saying is that my STS gets the best mileage at 85-90mph.
    Please share how you know your STS gets its best mileage at 85-90 mph.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

This defies the laws of physics

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    This defies the laws of physics
    No, it does not. I love how everyone all of a sudden has a PhD in physics

Ever thought that my STS maybe doesn't get as good mileage at 70mph as it should?!?
    There are many possible explanations as to why I get better mileage at 85 rather than 70. I never claimed that anyone else would, as well, although someone else earlier noted they've seen the same thing with their sts.

I think what some of the rest of us are saying is that what you claim goes against any 'standard', ever set forward, for mileage (ever published); maybe check those numbers again (I/we remain skeptical).
    I couldn't honestly care less whether you are skeptical or not - It has zero effect on my gas bill I didn't post my experience here to seek validation, just to share it with the OP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.