Wrong oil dipstick
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Wrong oil dipstick in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Alright, I have traded my CTS for a STS and saw a few posters remind me to check my oil ...
    daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

Wrong oil dipstick

Alright, I have traded my CTS for a STS and saw a few posters remind me to check my oil often.
    I have done so, it's good to keep looking under the hood on a warranty car when you buy it.
    But tonight I was floored.
    For the third time I have read the owners manual and saw something I didn't notice before.
    Getting to the most boring part of the manual, they showed the dipstick of the V6 and the V8 side-by side.
    Of course I have the 6, but I have been reading the level with an 8 stick !!
    The 6 is a flat, half-turned tip, but the 8 is a round tip.
    Obvious screw-up by a Cadillac dealer service person.
    Question?
    The level indicates top, but is the 6 really top?
    The oil is clear, and smells fine, I have only driven about 300 miles in this first month.
    Anyone care to give an opinion? (besides the obvious about the dealer)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Wrong oil dipstick

Well needless to say.. Get the right one ASAP. Just took a look of the side by side in the manual and it's hard to tell, but reading good on the v8 dipstick looks like it could be low on a v6 dipstick the way it's designed. Again, the images may not be to scale or entirely accurate. Definitely get it changed to be safe.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG
    Sometimes the style of things change. The part number will be stamped into stick. Call your dealer and they will be able to confirm for you whether it's correct or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Sometimes the style of things change. The part number will be stamped into stick. Call your dealer and they will be able to confirm for you whether it's correct or not.
    OK, I have more. I have a co-worker with a 2012 CTS with the 3.6 and we compared them.
    His is a flat blade, where mine is a round barrel on a wire lead.
    But the length was nearly the same. The full mark on his was about 3/16" longer from the pull stop, meaning I have about a half quart more than necessary.
    There is a whole history, car-fax, of this car being serviced at a Cadillac dealer, meaning some idiot swapped out the stick.
    Somewhere there is another car with a longer stick, and is driving with less oil.
    I am putting this on my list of minor complaints to the dealer when I bring it in before my used purchase warranty ends.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Verify your part number with Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>

Business hours, EST (Wilmington, NC)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Verify your part number with Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>

Business hours, EST (Wilmington, NC)
    There is no part number on the stick. It is as I described it, round, zinc-metal graduated tip, braided wire shank, overmolded circular plastic pull top.
    In the owners manual it shows photo's of each tip, the 6cyl being flat metal, the 8cyl as described above.
    Plus there is the difference in length I saw today.

I'm less worried than I was yesterday, but I am going to insist on a correct stick and a fresh oil change.

Some people think I am weird reading an owners manual, but they print them for a reason.

Are you sure there is no part number? Pull it out, wipe off the oil and look at both sides of the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Are you sure there is no part number? Pull it out, wipe off the oil and look at both sides of the tip.
    No part number, there really isn't a space to place one. There is a single number 4 on the molded part, but that is just a mold cavity number,
    On my friends 2012 3.6 his is a flat metal stick and the part number is easy to apply, but this is a braided wire stick, the photos in the owners manual show the difference. That is how I came to learn this.
    Again, I figure I am a half quart overfilled.

Well, if it's truly one from a 4.6L Northstar then you should see this...

PontiacV8 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

...btw...there was a similar discussion here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v6-vs-v8.html

...stick design changed....and possible older/wrong illustrations in owner manuals...

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacV8 View Post
    ...btw...there was a similar discussion here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v6-vs-v8.html

...stick design changed....and possible older/wrong illustrations in owner manuals...
    Thanks Pontiac, that thread is very helpful, but the best post was near the end, commenting about GM saving a buck per car by not updating the manual.
    On the third page of the thread is a post by PheonixSRX, poster gives a lot of info on motors and models.
    There is a lot of info on this thread, I recommend those with the 6cyl read it.

funk_drum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS4

Mine is the same way. I have the 2008 3.6 with the end that looks like the end for the N* but with no part number anywhere. My manual also shows the blade end for the 3.6 and the bullet end (for lack of a better term) for the N*.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

I also have a 2008 3.6 with the sinker type dipstick. When i change my oil I measure how much comes out and how much goes in. Always 6 qts +/- a few ounces out and 6 Qts +/- in until it is at the top of the hash marks. Never varies until the next oil change. Does not use any noticeable amount of oil in 4-5K miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.