High-Beams Not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, High-Beams Not working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, Quick question that I hope is very simple My high-Beams are not working in my 2007. Now I have ...
    MCNE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gold 2007 STS4 V8 1SG

High-Beams Not working

Hello,

Quick question that I hope is very simple My high-Beams are not working in my 2007. Now I have not checked fuses and should do that as well. I can't help wondering if this is tied to my battery dying a week ago. I didn't drive my car for almost three weeks but everything was working before that. A little strange.

Will check the fuses in the morning.

MCNE

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: High-Beams Not working

Since you have a 1SG package, I'll assume you have IntelliBeam. In this case, there is only one fuse that protects both high beams. It is in the under hood fuse block and is labeled I/BEAM (15A).

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Does the light come on the dash when you turn them on?

Yes the light comes on like everything is working fine. I really didn't even need to use them, I was just playing around while on the phone and stumbled on the problem

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Since you have a 1SG package, I'll assume you have IntelliBeam. In this case, there is only one fuse that protects both high beams. It is in the under hood fuse block and is labeled I/BEAM (15A).
    Just looked at the fuse block and I have one relay and two fuses for the Hi-Beams, Left and Right. I switched the relay with the Park Lamp replay (same device) and no change. Fuses looked fine.

Troubleshooting continues...

Those fuses only apply to vehicles that do not have IntelliBeam. The relay for IntelliBeam controlled high beams is located inside the vehicle within the instrument panel. There are no relays under the hood for your application (assuming you have IntelliBeam). Cars with IntelliBeam have the relay and fuses present in the fuse block for both applications.

Do you have IntelliBeam? It's RPO TQ5 as I recall

I'll take a look inside as well. Not sure where that is at in the vehicle, but this car does have the I-beam for sure. I played with it a lot at first then found it was coming on when I really didn't need it. Cool feature though when traveling.

Before you go digging I'll post a picture. It is not at all where you might expect it to be.

With IntelliBeam, the high beams also dim/brighten depending on what speed you are traveling. This feature is controlled by the Inside Rear View Mirror. It receives information about vehicle speed and controls the high beam relay directly (which is why I suspect they've located it where it is).

Awesome Thanks!

Here it is...

It's wrapped in foam tape in the wiring harness to the left of the radio.

Is there any chance that perhaps both high beam bulbs are bad? You mentioned that you don't really use them a lot and I was just thinking maybe this happened and you didn't realize. Also, are the functions of your ISRMV working correctly?

Not having much luck today. I can't seem to locate it but I didn't unbundle anything.

20140222_155900.jpg

Just trying to figure out the angle of your photo... Is that on the right side of the dash? I see the white tube which draws in ambient air for the climate control system but I'm having a hard time relating to it. I have a 2008 so there may be a few differences, but I'm confident the IntelliBeam is the same 2007-08.

The easiest is to remove the radio and it should be attached to the harness between the steering column and where the radio sits.

I guess its possible to bulbs are bad but I thought highly unlikely that they both are out. This is a picture from the drivers side above the gas peddle. Not sure about pulling to radio out for this but if its the relay I do want it fixed.

You shouldn't need to unwrap anything to be able to see it, but I think it's further back toward the radio than you can see from that angle.

It's king of a tough spot because it is difficult to access, but so are the headlamp assemblies. If you can get to the relay, you can at least measure the voltage at the relay socket to determine whether the problem is before, at or after the relay. I suspect this is still going to be a little easier than accessing the connectors that plug into the headlamp housings to measure there.

The Red/Wht wire is supply voltage into the relay. If you have no power here (it should be live all the time), then there is a problem between the fuse block and the relay. The light green wire is the feed to the headlamps. With your high beams on, there should be power at this light green wire.

Also, if the fuse is blown for your rear view mirror, or it is not working correctly, this will inhibit the operation of the high beams as well. I'd check your mirror for correct operation as well.

I agree that the likelihood of both high beam bulbs being out is fairly low, but I have seen that before too. Certainly not the highest on my suspect list.

I should check the on-star but there is power to the I-beam switch on the mirror. This is what I can see from the other side of the radio. Passengers side. I did not take the radio all the way out.

20140222_164548.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.