Steering wheel buttons help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Steering wheel buttons help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone knows how to pop open the buttons on the steering wheel? Just like every Cady, I have only one ...
    atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

Steering wheel buttons help

Anyone knows how to pop open the buttons on the steering wheel?

Just like every Cady, I have only one button with working light out of the four

I am sure I can find some LEDs to solder, but not sure how the buttons come off, if at all. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by atlrus
    Anyone knows how to pop open the buttons on the steering wheel?

Just like every Cady, I have only one button with working light out of the four

I am sure I can find some LEDs to solder, but not sure how the buttons come off, if at all. Any advice?
    Remove air bag
    Remove 3 mounting bolts
    Whole V steering wheel switch assembly needs removed to open up and service the non serviceable LEDs.

Re: Steering wheel buttons help

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Remove air bag
    Remove 3 mounting bolts
    Whole V steering wheel switch assembly needs removed to open up and service the non serviceable LEDs.
    The buttons don't pop up? Are you certain that I need to disassemble the steering wheel to remove the button covers?

The buttons don't pop up? Are you certain that I need to disassemble the steering wheel to remove the button covers?
    Sure they can pop up but youll never get them back down because youd have to of broken it.

Never said you have to remove the steering wheel.

Do it right do it once.

Not to mention your heater relay is mounted in the v assembly. Only way to remove that to remove the v switches is to pull the bag.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I thought the pre-2008 steering wheel controls used incandescent lamps... I could be wrong, but this would explain the OP's complaint. It is extremely unlikely that LED's in these would fail.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    I thought the pre-2008 steering wheel controls used incandescent lamps... I could be wrong, but this would explain the OP's complaint. It is extremely unlikely that LED's in these would fail.
    Sorry you are corret. They are however non serviceable. It's not a bulb that's user replaceable without "modification".

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

As you say, possible but requires some skill in disassembly and soldering along with sourcing the correct bulbs.

Soldering and finding he bulbs is not an issue, but the airbag is a deal-breaker for me

Thanks anyways

Soldering and finding he bulbs is not an issue, but the airbag is a deal-breaker for me

Thanks anyways
    Why? I've had mine off 3 times at least and I'm sure Darcy has had his off even more.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Pulling the airbag isn't that bad... basically disconnect battery, stick some long handled flat blade screwdrivers into the holes in the back of the wheel and give a little twist and the bag comes off.
    I took the bag off of my deville wheel probably 5 or 6 times when I was converting it from a non heated to a heated wheel and when I had to replace failed switch lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    Pulling the airbag isn't that bad... basically disconnect battery, stick some long handled flat blade screwdrivers into the holes in the back of the wheel and give a little twist and the bag comes off.
    I took the bag off of my deville wheel probably 5 or 6 times when I was converting it from a non heated to a heated wheel and when I had to replace failed switch lamps.
    Luda about this though a bit off topic. Did you swap the sir coil to one with heated wheel? How did you power it. Its a mod I wanted to do to my Seville sts for my mom. Bought the wheel years ago and bench tested it. Never installed it though. Another project I bought to start and never did. This is why I have so much crap....

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I carefully pulled the clockspring (the "sir" coil) apart making sure it was dead center for rotations after putting it back together (so it wouldn't shred while driving).
    I grounded the heater to the wheel itself and ran power from the battery and up the column where I used one of the non-used conductors in the current clockspring to power the heater.

Basically there are (IIRC) about 6 or 7 conductors going through the non-heated version and not all of them are used, so I soldered a wire in on each side of the spring using the one empty conductor lane and it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    I carefully pulled the clockspring (the "sir" coil) apart making sure it was dead center for rotations after putting it back together (so it wouldn't shred while driving).
    I grounded the heater to the wheel itself and ran power from the battery and up the column where I used one of the non-used conductors in the current clockspring to power the heater.

Basically there are (IIRC) about 6 or 7 conductors going through the non-heated version and not all of them are used, so I soldered a wire in on each side of the spring using the one empty conductor lane and it worked perfectly.
    I may finally do this... (Which means in a year ill think about it hahaha)
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    Anyone know where I can find the far left button to replace? the light is out and irritates the hell out of me.... It's the search seek button

Cannot replace one button. It's the whole assembly. Also Vs are different they have a carbon fiber like switch assembly. Non V is color coded "wax" cleared plastic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.