Transfer Bose with XM Lifetime Subscription Between Vehicles??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joezebro
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Transfer Bose with XM Lifetime Subscription Between Vehicles?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2006 STS has a factory Bose radio that I obtained a lifetime subscription for. Unfortunately, the vehicle is ready ...
    joezebro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

Transfer Bose with XM Lifetime Subscription Between Vehicles??

My 2006 STS has a factory Bose radio that I obtained a lifetime subscription for. Unfortunately, the vehicle is ready for salvage and I am looking for another STS with lower miles, same year or later.
    Does anyone know if it is feasible to remove the existing Bose unit and put it in another 2006 or later STS? Will the XM lifetime still work in a different vehicle? Also, how difficult is it to remove the unit? Does just the head unit come out, or the whole stack with CD, DVD and Nav display.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    It's possible. The XM radio module is in the trunk. But I think you might run into issues with the VIN being encoded in the module and the dealer will have to reset it for you.

Someone else might know if this is the case. The subscription goes with the radio ID, so that should carry over.

You don't have to change the head unit and that would require a dealer reset.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    XM modules are vin locked. Even a dealer can program it. There's a speciality company that can do it. I cannot remember who though right now. Google search will show it.

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    Just call xm and change it over. Shouldn't be a big issue. Unless the account is not in your name, then I see your logic in doing this.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by B1n2fra
    Just call xm and change it over. Shouldn't be a big issue. Unless the account is not in your name, then I see your logic in doing this.
    XM did away with lifetime and I believe it non transferable now.

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post

XM did away with lifetime and I believe it non transferable now.
    Xm is full of s***

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Transfer Bose with XM Lifetime Subscription Between Vehicles??

I know that GM's Service Information claims XM modules are VIN encoded and cannot be moved between vehicles, however I've installed used modules from wreckers in cars (granted not the STS but in other GM vehicles where they also claimed VIN encoding would lock them) and never had a problem. Unless there was a restriction that a lifetime subscription is for that radio only (which may be the only reason the offered them, knowing there is an expected hardware lifetime), I'd try ask them to transfer it to the new receiver.

As for location of the receiver, unless they changed this from the 2006 to 2008 model year, it's on top of the rear shelf. You will need to access it from inside the car. Remove the two interior 'C' pillar trim panels, remove the rear seat cushion and seat back (there are four nuts in the trunk you need to remove to get the seat back out), remove the rear shelf interior trim and the receiver will be sitting on top of the panel beside the right rear speaker. The radio in the dash really has nothing to do with it except that this is where the XM module audio signals connect. You can think of the XM module in the same manner as an external CD changer or similar device.

EDIT: More detail in disassembly instructions.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55

XM @ about $ 10.00 a month, the change seems like it would cost you a lot MORE than
    opening a NEW account !
    SORRY, My bad, didn't see the word "LIFETIME".

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Not if you have already paid for a lifetime sub which only works on a single XM receiver.

joezebro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

Thanks, everyone, for all of the replies. At then end of the day, I called SiriuxXM and told them the car was totaled and they transferred the subscription to the new vehicle. They were going to charge $75 to do the transfer, but I asked if that could be waived, and indeed they did.
    Apparently, transfer eligibility depends on when you first obtained the subscription or if the radio was damaged . Details can be found at:

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/ap...ransferable%3F
    mckellyb likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.