saw my trade-in for sale
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, saw my trade-in for sale in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I checked out the stealership ads and they had my 2007 CTS 3.6 rwd for sale at $14898. KBB has ...
    daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

saw my trade-in for sale

I checked out the stealership ads and they had my 2007 CTS 3.6 rwd for sale at $14898.
    KBB has the retail at $12500
    Wholesale was $9900
    They gave me $8900
    But I wanted the STS more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Re: saw my trade-in for sale

This is why I don't ever trade my car in at the dealer. Never get a good deal. Danny

dl72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I agree. They want to make money. I sold my 2008 C6 in November for $36,000. I took it to a dealer to see what they would offer me just for the hell of it. They offered me $30,000. I told them to stick it somewhere.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

The nerve of dealers trying to keep the lights on and feed their families!

In all seriousness, sell privately.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

I sold my 2001 Silhouette in 2011 privately for $4000. Dealer offered me $2000 in trade and I said no thank you.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

not sure that the "asking" price at a dealership represents real world

what if they have to allow someone $8000 for a 10 year old DTS with 150K miles ...as a trade in

probably 2x what its worth

But to some they "think" they got a good deal because their trade was over valued

bottom line...dont believe any price unless its a cash price ...with no trade involved

Warren

daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

A private sale was not in the cards.
    It ran fine, I just wanted a newer model and this was the exact car I wanted.
    I went in with a final dollar amount in my head for the buy and sale, and I got it, less than a $50 difference.
    So what I gave up on trade, I got off the sale, and came out just what I wanted.
    But it did hurt.

Also, when I bought the CTS I swapped out the stock 12 spoke rims and put on after market ones, I still have the originals.

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by daddy_o View Post
    I checked out the stealership ads and they had my 2007 CTS 3.6 rwd for sale at $14898.
    KBB has the retail at $12500
    Wholesale was $9900
    They gave me $8900
    But I wanted the STS more.
    They didn't give you $8900, you took $8900

The whole deal seems fair to me. They will likely "just reduced" the price a bit, then get beaten down a bit on both the CTS and the possible trade in and make at best $2000 profit on the whole deal, which after paying the overhead would put $300 in the owner's pocket.

That said, I've always traded my cars and always get a great deal, in my eyes. But I find it more profitable to give the dealer $500 than to waste my time with a bunch of bozos and tire-kickers.

I agree. They want to make money. I sold my 2008 C6 in November for $36,000. I took it to a dealer to see what they would offer me just for the hell of it. They offered me $30,000. I told them to stick it somewhere.
    In their defense, if you came to me and said "Hey, how much would you give me for this Vet?" I would also pull a number out of my a$$. If you were actually serious about doing business with the dealer, I am sure you'd be very close to getting the price you had in mind.

malatu is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Yea, there is value in trading a car versus selling it your self. I've done both. When trading, it's bing bang boom and your done with it. Selling it on the open market takes some time and has it's caveats.

It's right up there with purchasing a warranty. One's comfort level will dictate their decision.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest View Post
    This is why I don't ever trade my car in at the dealer. Never get a good deal. Danny
    I've learned to let my wife do the dickering. She doesn't stop until she's got even the change out of their pockets.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Yeah, the dealer is trying to make a profit. Can't blame them as they have some pretty large expenses and overhead.

My last trade I stood my ground to get $13K for after they initially offered me $11K. I saw it for sale and the price lowered twice. Last asking price I saw was $15K, so maybe they made $2K after holding on to it for about 2 months.

I've contemplated selling myself but I really didn't want to deal with tire kickers, lost time spent showing it, etc. Unless we're talking $3K - $5K difference I'm not going to spend the time to try to get a few more dollars on the private sale side.

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

You really couldn't make a final evaluation of your trade/dealer price/dealer profit, till it sells; doubtful that the dealer is expecting to get their asking price. I'm sure, if it was you that was looking at that vehicle, you'd be looking for some sort of deal.

malatu is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

A commercial banker once told me, "Car salesmen sell cars, and developers develop land. When you loose sight of that fact, you're in trouble!"

There is a lot of overhead in any kind of business. Dealerships need to make a dime on any and all services they offer. That includes taking your car off your hands as a trade-in, refurbishing it and taking the associated risks and resources needed to sell it. When you trade it in, you are in the wholesale market, per se. Don't expect to get retail for a trade-in. If you aren't comfortable with what you can get as a trade-value, you can simply sell it yourself. Again, I've done both, though at one point in my life I wouldn't even consider trading-in a car. I don't feel that strongly about it now. The older I get, I either get smarter or dumber.... not sure which.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Dealer's main profit centers are used cars and service operations, NOT new cars.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I've learned to let my wife do the dickering. She doesn't stop until she's got even the change out of their pockets.
    and if you car with issues...such as your trade in with HG issues

then a trade can be a very good deal

If you have a car that is clean and in good shape...you stand to take it in the shorts, especially if its a car that the dealer has no intention of wanting to resell on their lot

In the past....some Mercedes dealers were not really interested in anything on their used car lot other than a pristine lower mileage newer Benz( or occasional BMW, Range Rover)...so if you traded anything else in to them it was just going to be a wholesale deal for them
    and they hosed you on what they offered you

been there done that when I was trying to trade an Acura legend for an E class several years ago

Warren

----------

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Dealer's main profit centers are used cars and service operations, NOT new cars.
    true...and the new cars are what is feeding the service center for the most part

Unless you are looking at high end...Mercedes, BMW etc....most owners are not using the dealership as their primary service outlet past their warranty period

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.