Speakers "hissing" even when the radio is turned off.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Speakers "hissing" even when the radio is turned off..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've noticed recently my speakers hissing. Its not loud, but can be annoying at times....I would assume this would be ...
    MikesCaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

Speakers "hissing" even when the radio is turned off.....

I've noticed recently my speakers hissing. Its not loud, but can be annoying at times....I would assume this would be a bad ground wire? where would I even begin to look?? Any help would be great.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Speakers "hissing" even when the radio is turned off.....

When you say the radio is turned off do you mean powered down by pressing the volume knob? If you have your iPhone charging while hooked up to the aux, it will put out a hissing noise through the speakers even if you're not playing music. If that's not your situation then disregard.

yes..when the radio is powered down with the volume knob, it also hisses when its on. My iPhone is not plugged in at all. Its almost like a static or a "hiss"......its never done this before, I wonder what it could be??

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

You said "speakers." Is it all of them or can you pinpoint the issue to one or two? Try adjusting the balance of the speakers to the front right, then rear right, then rear left, then front right to see if you can locate which speaker it is. Once you find that out, try unplugging the speaker you suspect and see if the noise goes away. Maybe a bad speaker. This is just something I would try but I could be wrong. It's suspect that it happens when the system is off. If it's all the speakers, then that's a whole different story. But do try to move the concentration of sound to make sure by messing with the balance.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Remember, none of this cars systems are really turned of by their control. The control sends a signal to one or more control modules that put the device(s) in Standby. After a period of time, those that consume more power go into a deeper Standby.

You didn't post which radio but it does sound as if at least one amplifier is staying on.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by MikesCaddy06 View Post
    yes..when the radio is powered down with the volume knob, it also hisses when its on. My iPhone is not plugged in at all. Its almost like a static or a "hiss"......its never done this before, I wonder what it could be??
    Hello MikesCaddy06,

It looks like you’ve been getting some great feedback from the community. If you do plan on looking into this situation further, I would be more than happy to help set you up with an appointment at your dealership. Let me know if this sounds like a plausible idea to you.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    You said "speakers." Is it all of them or can you pinpoint the issue to one or two? Try adjusting the balance of the speakers to the front right, then rear right, then rear left, then front right to see if you can locate which speaker it is. Once you find that out, try unplugging the speaker you suspect and see if the noise goes away. Maybe a bad speaker. This is just something I would try but I could be wrong. It's suspect that it happens when the system is off. If it's all the speakers, then that's a whole different story. But do try to move the concentration of sound to make sure by messing with the balance.

Will try this, Thanks! My STS is a Non-Nav unit.....

Well upon further investigation.....it turns out the noise is not coming from my speakers at all! Its my drivers seat making this noise.......Weird

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

There are speakers in the tops of both front seats. Danny

daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

Well upon further investigation.....it turns out the noise is not coming from my speakers at all! Its my drivers seat making this noise.......Weird
    Do you have the seat cooling option?

Quote Originally Posted by daddy_o View Post
    Do you have the seat cooling option?
    Negative on the seat cooling option.....My STS does not have the 15 speaker Bose setup. The seats themselves are making a noise (springs maybe) When I hit bumps in the road, or move while I'm seated I can hear it. Its annoying and don't think theres a remedy for this.... Anyone else notice their seats making noises from road bumps??

daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

Negative on the seat cooling option.....My STS does not have the 15 speaker Bose setup. The seats themselves are making a noise (springs maybe) When I hit bumps in the road, or move while I'm seated I can hear it. Its annoying and don't think theres a remedy for this.... Anyone else notice their seats making noises from road bumps??
    Ok, one more idea, do you have the rear seat climate controls?
    The air passes through ducts alongside the seats, there maybe a piece of debris, like paper, creating a whistling sound.
    Sometimes kids in the back seat stick things inside for fun.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I think there was a TSB for a lose seat in the tracks that they do some rubber hose fix to it.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Yeah, if you're just talking about noises from the seat cushion because the cushion is moving, there are a couple of different TSBs.

One involves the hose cut in half like mentioned and one involves some washers. That issue is completely fixable and worth it.

The way it was worded earlier it sounded like there was a constant noise that didn't involve any movement.

How does one go about finding TSBs? That's what the problem is... when I move or bounce on the seat cushion it makes a very noticeable noise. Its hard to describe but its like a staticky squeak.....
    Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Yeah, if you're just talking about noises from the seat cushion because the cushion is moving, there are a couple of different TSBs.

One involves the hose cut in half like mentioned and one involves some washers. That issue is completely fixable and worth it.

The way it was worded earlier it sounded like there was a constant noise that didn't involve any movement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.