Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6L
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6L in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need the location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor on my 2006 STS 4.6L. ...
    DdPSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 4.6L

Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6L

I need the location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor on my 2006 STS 4.6L. I was told by a friend that it is in the rear of the engine on the driver side under the wiper motor/assembly and I would have to remove the hood and the wiper motor/assembly to access it. Is this correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 129k

Re: Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6

I'm in the same boat, mine doesn't work intermittently. Interested in the responses you get.

BTW,
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Re: Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6

OBDII reading indicates thermostat and ECT issues. I have them intermittently as well. I replaced the thermostat but have not refilled the coolant to check it. Trying to find the ECT to replcae it too while the coolant it out. This is normally an easy job for most cars. Not this one apparently. No responses yet on the fix.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Ill check esi once I'm home and post repair procedure.

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG

I have this same issue, it is intermittent as in when it drops below 32* or so it will throw a code and display the "engine hot - a/c off" on the DIC.
    The ECT sensor screws into the rear of the passenger side head. Apparently it was an easy job when these cars were FWD and the engine was turned sideways but now there is literally no room at all to get back there. I tried from the top and tried from underneath the car, there is no way I can even touch the sensor, let alone get tools in there.
    I have alldatadiy and it doesn't go into detail at all, just says to replace it. The best I can tell is that part of the right side will have to be dismantled, probably down to the head itself to allow room for your hand to get back there between the back of the engine and the firewall.
    Thankfully I live in Florida and we don't have many days below freezing so I am dealing with the few cold days we do have by clearing the code and going about my day. Let us know if you find an easier way, maybe ewillard will chime in here.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I live in Ohio and we have temps below 32 most of the Winter and clearing the code works for about a half day. I don't get the engine hot display as the temp gauge rarely get above 100. I recently read the dealer charges $645 to replace the sensor. I haven't called to confirm it. Hoping someone has been able to come up with a better way to replace it.

What codes are you getting? Any messages at all on the DIC?
    I was born and raised in Cincinnati so I understand where you're coming from. If the dealer is charging $645 to install a $12 part then there must be a lot of labor involved. I guess it wasn't feasible for GM to retool this part to the front of the engine when they went to RWD. Alldata says the part cost $32.50 and 2.5 hours for labor so something seems off from what you heard, try a smaller mechanic or a different dealer and see what they say. I bought a new ECT and Thermostat but I will be waiting until spring to tear into mine. Let us know if you find any info.

----------

#2 on this diagram is the ECT.

Looking at what I seen on esi it's behind a bundle of wires. Best way to reach it would be from the bottom. Awd cars would present more of an issue for this. Perhaps drop the exhaust and you could get on it.

Ok thanks. I have two wheel rear drive so sounds like I lucked out there. Can you clarify is it located on the passenger side or driver side of the engine?

----------

Ok thanks. I have two wheel rear drive so sounds like I lucked out there. Can you clarify is it located on the passenger side or driver side of the engine? The pic was blocked on the previous Thread.

I did a direct link, can you see it now? You are looking at the drivers side of the engine. left is forward.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I can see it ... could be his networking blocking it.
    looks like a PITA to get to.
    Looks like lay under the car or put it on a lift and reach over the top of the transmission bell housing on the passenger side of the car and blindly find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I can see it ... could be his networking blocking it.
    looks like a PITA to get to.
    Looks like lay under the car or put it on a lift and reach over the top of the transmission bell housing on the passenger side of the car and blindly find it.
    Correct

It is on the passenger side head

Ok I really appreciate all the help on my problem. The diagram really helps and I believe I'll give it a try this weekend. Good news is I have a car lift so I should have a good shot at accessing it from below. I'll let you know how difficult it was and how much time it takes to do the job for anyone else attempting it.

I have a feeling it's going to be one of those jobs where getting the clip to unplug the wiring will be the worst part.

That's not to make light of the job but an indication of what a major pain it's going to be to get a hand up there to unclip it.

CadiTamer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 RWD

Judging by that picture, if you just pull the transmission you'll have easy access to it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.