Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6L - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6L in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by CadiTamer Judging by that picture, if you just pull the transmission you'll have easy access to it... ...
    daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

Re: Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6

Quote Originally Posted by CadiTamer View Post
    Judging by that picture, if you just pull the transmission you'll have easy access to it...
    I would recommend a 2" hole saw from the inside passenger firewall....just sayin...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Need location and recommended procedure to replace the ECT Sensor on 2006 STS 4.6

It looks to me like a chance to go buy a new tool; one of those fiber-optic see-inside/around-a-corner probes. Harbor Freight has a high-res digital inspection camera with recorder (to show us how it's done) for $200. Their stuff isn't always top quality, but the prices are usually competitive and the warranty is good.

Link to Inspection Camera

If you have one of their stores in your area, their ad always has a coupon for a free $5-10 item and 20-25% off anything.

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    It looks to me like a chance to go buy a new tool; one of those fiber-optic see-inside/around-a-corner probes. Harbor Freight has a high-res digital inspection camera with recorder (to show us how it's done) for $200. Their stuff isn't always top quality, but the prices are usually competitive and the warranty is good.
    That is a good idea to get an eye on the part but you still have to get your hands and tools in there, so your going to have to make room. I had my round and rectangle inspection mirrors out, two droplights and flashlight and couldn't even see the part from the top or bottom.
    It is going to take hours for something that should take minutes. I hope DdPSTS has some luck this weekend and reports back.

SpeedGP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I'm in the same boat, it's been randomly displaying no temp and turning my AC off for about two weeks, and this week is about once a day....

I just ordered the sensor, I hope he gets back and lets us know

(This gives me a good reason to backflush my heatercore too!)

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k

All mine has ever done is render the coolant temp gauge useless, just sits at cold randomly. No issues with AC though. Does it at least once a day.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

DdPSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 4.6L

Ok Thanks to all those who commented on this post I was able to find and replace the elusive ECT (Electronic Coolant Temperature) Sensor in about an hour and a half. I had drained the radiator and replaced the thermostat (simple job) earlier in the week and left it sitting on the lift. I recommend that you replace the thermostat when you replace the ECT sensor. The ECT sensor is located on the passenger side, on the back of the engine block close to the firewall. You cannot see it or access it from the top. The diagram sent earlier in the thread shows exactly where it is (Thanks again for those pics I would not have found it otherwise). You do not have to pull or drop the transmission, raise the engine or cut a hole in the firewall. I have a car lift in my garage and if you don't I highly recommend you find a friend that does. Trying this with jack stands could be more difficult but could be done with patience.

Here is the procedure and I took pics along the way to show where it is and how to get it out. 06 STS Temp Sensor -2.jpg With the car in the air looking between the transmission and the exhaust pipe coming down from the manifold you will find a freezer plug on the block. At the 11 o'clock position of that plug you will see a small male black wire/connector plugged into the black female connector on top of the brass ECT sensor as shown in the picture. There are two ground wires bolted to the block on the right. You can get you hand in there from this angle. Take a long screw driver and slip it under the clip on the connector and with your other hand pull on the connector. 06 STS Temp Sensor Plug -1.jpg Mine came off very easily. Move the cable out of the way and you will realize that there are two fuel lines that are routed directly over the sensor. Take a 2 ft crow bar and gently move and separate the two fuel lines (bending the lines only slightly to make room for the deep socket needed to remove the sensor) You will need an extension of about 23"-24" long on a 1/4" socket wrench. You will also need a knuckle and a deep 3/4" socket (See the pic) Socket wrench extension needed.jpg. Socket and knuckel.jpg

With the socket in place and the extension at the right angle you can then loosen the sensor. I broke the black plastic tip off the sensor when removing it. 06 STS old and new Temp Sensors - 1.jpg This tells you to be careful when installing and tightening the new one. Keep the extension up close to the transmission or you will put too much pressure on the end of the sensor. Break it off and you'll be back at the auto store buying a new sensor. Slowly and carefully tighten the sensor and install the connector and you are done. I refilled the radiator, started her up and checked for leaks. (No Leaks great! If it leaks simply remove the connector and try to tighten the sensor a little more....careful not to break it). I then cleared the OBDII Check engine light/codes and so far it has done the job. The temperature gauge works again and no check engine light. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this post.
    RicoX9 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.