compatibility with tires

4K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
hello first time poster
I have a question about what tire sizes are suitable with the sts
I have a 2005 v6 sts
and changed the tires 2 days ago in the front 245/40 r17 91w
and in the back 245/45 r17 95w Dunlop
and since there has been steering wheel shaking/vibration when I hit speeds starting from 50-55 mph
my question is are the tire sizes acceptable and is the vibration caused due to improper balancing or could it be another cause?

thank you for any information

#4 ·
Replacing the bad tire(s) or wheel(s) will fix the vibration. I'd put a nickel on a belt separation, myself. I'd only buy used rubber to avoid replacing a full set, otherwise the first 10,000 miles are over half the value.

All tires should be nominally the same size, but if the Stability System doesn't complain, you might get by

#6 ·
. That's completely false IMO I only buy used tires and have had no problems whatsoever these are heavy cars eat through tires and unfortunately I don't have the money to drop on new tires I got continental dws 55 45 with 80% tread yesterday for $60 a tire can't beat that My only suggestion if goin used is to at least replace set of 2 if staggered

#9 ·
The other problem is the diameter of those is wrong. Not only are they wrong they are not even the same overall diameter front to rear stock is 26" your rear is 25" and your front is 24" If you have a sts4 that is an even bigger problem as you wheels will be travailing a different RPMs front to rear. But at the very least your speedometer will not read right because of the height difference.

#20 ·
----------

[/COLOR]. Last time I drove a v-6 was ..... Never I let my girlfriend ride v6[/QUOTE]

That torino had a police interceptor v8 with a four barrel carb, the engine blew, I sold the carb alone for more than I paid for the car.
I bought the car for $75 in the early 80s and sold the carb for $100 two years later.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
----------

[/COLOR]. Last time I drove a v-6 was ..... Never I let my girlfriend ride v6
That torino had a police interceptor v8 with a four barrel carb, the engine blew, I sold the carb alone for more than I paid for the car.
I bought the car for $75 in the early 80s and sold the carb for $100 two years later.[/QUOTE]. That is a precious story but I was taking about you caddy XXXXXX

Moderator edit: Insults will earn you a vacation from CF.

#30 ·
Does it upset you if I say I've never purchased used tires for any car I've ever had?
Does that mean I'm saying i'm better than you?
No.
It just means I'd rather make sacrifices elsewhere to make sure I've got safe and proper tires on all the cars I own and drive.

Daddy_o wasn't attacking you he was simply saying he hasn't bought used tires since that car from 40 years ago.

Your hostile attitude about basically everything means maybe you should consider seeing a therapist to help with your anger management issues.

#31 ·
Well, I almost hate to chime in to this flammable subject. But, here goes. Every car on the road is running on used tires, some are just more used than others. My son brought a brand new truck, pulled the factory wheels and tires and bought 20" or 22", I forget which. He then sold the factory wheels and tires. They had about 4 miles on them, but they were used. All that being said, it's been a long long time since I bought used tires. I too, know what to look for.

Doug

#32 ·
Please tone down the name-calling and insults or usernames disappear and the thread gets heavily edited. Clear enough ?

Some people get lucky on used tires, some don't. It's your dollar, your car, your safety. Personally, having owned cars/driven since 1954, I would never install a used tire on even a lawn tractor.

#33 ·
Ok, first, my apologies to anyone I may have offended.
Tires are always a lively topic.
My comment about the purchase of used tires was done tongue-in-cheek, I was young, broke, and had a flat tire on a lonely country road before cell phones.
After that walk and all that was involved with getting the tire replaced, I took it as a lesson never again to go cheap on tires.
It would be over twenty years before another problem like that happened.

I myself have a decision to make with my new ride, the dealer put two new tires on the rear, although the date code shows them from the first quarter of 2013. The front tires are original to the car, date code mid 2009, sidewalls are showing fine cracking.
Do I put only two new ones on the front, or just replace them all and start fresh?
These are the Michelin Energy LX4 235-50-17, about $200 each.

I can feel for a young guy staring at a thousand dollar bill and getting cold feet.

#35 ·
My wife's car had the Energy's on it. They got very hard and slick very fast. It did spend it's first year outside, probably at O'Hare Airport in Chicago (or nearby). It positively pained my frugal wife to replace tires with tread remaining but after she nearly spun out on a on-ramp, she realized how dangerous Michelin tires can get.

They did help get good mileage. 25MPG at 80MPH (2,000 N* RPM).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.