Possibly replacing 2002 SLS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredz43
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Possibly replacing 2002 SLS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Greetings, We are presently on our third Seville SLS. We first had a 1992, then a 1997, and now a ...
    fredz43 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 White Diamond

Possibly replacing 2002 SLS

Greetings,

We are presently on our third Seville SLS. We first had a 1992, then a 1997, and now a 2002 with 83,000 miles. All have been wonderful cars with V8's that I love. We live in a rural area and have a steep uphill driveway into the garage, so have relied on front wheel drive cars. Now, in looking to possibly upgrade, we see that the STS and CTS are RWD or the optional AWD. AWD sounds like out best option and in reading the forums, it appears that popular wisdom is to avoid the V6 STS. Also in reading the CTS forum, it seems that many have had problems with vibration that is felt in the steering wheel that may be related to the drive train, so I don't want anything to do with that. I have had very good luck in the last few years doing searches on autotrader.com, but when I do a search for STS's with AWD, all I see are V6's. Are the V8 STS4's that rare? Would you all agree to avoid the V6? One that recently piqued my interest was a 2007 AWD V6 with under 30k miles. Looked good until I started researching the forum and found all the negative comments about the V6.

BTW, I was interested in AWD because, even though we have gotten by for years with FWD at our location, I am not getting any younger and would like to avoid any snow shoveling if possible.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Re: Possibly replacing 2002 SLS

If you're looking at an STS, the V8 is a must. The V6's just scare me, sure there's many out there with no issues but who knows if you'll get one that guzzles oil and could eventually snap the timing chain, no one wants that bill. I had a 2004 CTS 3.6L, traded it in on the V8 STS because of what I just mentioned. It used oil and the timing chain started developing slack and would clatter at cold starts, it was time to dump her. If you live in an area that gets plenty of snow I would definitely recommend the AWD model, my RWD STS is a handful in snow sometimes, even with Blizzak's. Just take your time, the AWD V8's are out there, they're just a little harder to find. I got my 06 with 71k, now at 116k. I haven't had many issues with her, knock on wood. I've had the rear diff seals replaced, starter, water pump, and a motor mount, that's it. She seems to be holding together quite well thus far, no rattles or anything, still solid as a rock after 116k and 8 years.

Goodluck in your search efforts, take your time and find a nice low mileage AWD V8, you'll find one. Test drive as many as you can and know which options you want, there's a ton! Having adaptive cruise has spoiled me, can't imagine driving a car with "normal" cruise control after owning this car. The heads up display is awesome to have too! The 15 speaker Bose system is unbelievable as well, puts the Bose systems I had in my previous Cadillac's to shame.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

fester46581 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have an 05 STS RWD V6 and really enjoy it. The biggest thing with the V6 is keeping the oil level where it needs to be. You have to check your oil more often. Drive the car and if you like it buy it. Just make sure to play with all the toys before buying any STS. It is a Cadillac so the repairs can be costly. Happy shopping. BTW, less than 125,000 STS's were built.

funk_drum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS4

Thought the 2008+ V6 are more reliable than those of older STS's. I have a 2008 STS4 with V6. Although I've only had it a few days, it's smooth as silk. For me the AWD was a bigger deal than the V8. Power is similar (+17-ish HP for the V8). I wasn't looking for a hot rod, just got rid of a super fast car. But like someone said, I drove it and loved it. Good luck!

The 08+ LLT still has the same issue unfortunately, the LFX (2012+) saw the necessary PCV modification.
    Past Cadillac's

Wow, just did a quick search on Autotrader and Carsoup and there is only one AWD V8 within 200 miles of me, it's a 2009 with 109k on her, dealer is asking $19k. It's in Madison, WI at Zimbrick BMW.
    Past Cadillac's

fredz43 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 White Diamond

Thank you all, for the replies. We are not in that big of a hurry, so I guess I will just continue to search. Besides, even though our white diamond 2002 SLS is just like new and we love it, the dealers I have contacted so far tell me that it worth very little for a trade in. That tells me that it can't go much lower, so why hurry?
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Take your time & drive a few. Later V6 HP makes good ad copy, but torque is still lacking and oil level vigilance highly recommended.

Unless that 2009 is something special or Zimbrick is offering a warranty, $19k seems high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Take your time & drive a few. Later V6 HP makes good ad copy, but torque is still lacking and oil level vigilance highly recommended.

Unless that 2009 is something special or Zimbrick is offering a warranty, $19k seems high to me.
    I agree, the price seems high to me too.
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.