Quality of replacement inside door handles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Quality of replacement inside door handles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have two STS's and both have inside door handles that are sharp with peeling chrome. Are the replacement handles ...
    hiltonny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quality of replacement inside door handles

I have two STS's and both have inside door handles that are sharp with peeling chrome. Are the replacement handles any better quality and about what do they cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Nope

Same handle

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

Re: Quality of replacement inside door handles

I've heard the replacements have the same issue unfortunately. My driver side starting peeling as well. I just took some aluminum repair tape and cut a small piece to fit over the cracked area. It's been holding up just fine for quite a while and you hardly even notice it.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The aluminum tape that has a peel-off backing can be shaped and formed to cover the sharp edge very nicely and is barely noticeable.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

skippydts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD - Black inside and out

Wow. Amazing. i was just searching for interior door handles. I just bought a 2008 with flaking chrome. I can't find a video on how to replace them. Does the panel need to be removed, or can I get to it without removing the panel? I haven't looked at it yet. It is too darn cold here right now to mess with plastic peices.. One thing about my 03 DTS, is that they were metal handles.. If my initial search was right, the handles are about $40.00 ea.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

The door panel must come off. The GM parts listing will tell you that there are two speed nuts required as well. Don't buy them, they are too small and can't be threaded down over the plastic post that secures the handle in place. When the door panels are built in the factory, the plastic posts are melted down (you'll see what I mean when you take off the panel). Either find a way to melt the posts (soldering gun with the correct tip - not a soldering iron) or go to the auto parts store and try to get self-threading speed nuts that are the correct size. I'll try and post pics later from when I did mine.

----------

FWIW, it isn't just the STS that has this problem. We have a fleet of Yukon's and Tahoe's that all have the very same issue.

nwjones18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Mine are peeling the same way..

The aluminum tape is a permanent repair. Replacement handles are going to peel just like the originals.

skippydts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD - Black inside and out

Don't you feel the creases in the aluminum tape? How do you wrap the end of it? maybe I will just leave it alone...

I just purchased this vehicle and have been reading posts on here. Is this typical of all car forums? Always seeing the bad stuff? I am getting depressed reading the posts. I need to stay away. I really like driving it, and it looks great.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by skippydts
    Don't you feel the creases in the aluminum tape? How do you wrap the end of it? maybe I will just leave it alone...

I just purchased this vehicle and have been reading posts on here. Is this typical of all car forums? Always seeing the bad stuff? I am getting depressed reading the posts. I need to stay away. I really like driving it, and it looks great.
    Most people don't come on to praise, they come to bitch. Welcome to society.

Quote Originally Posted by skippydts View Post

The only sharp corner on mine was across the top. I cut a piece of tape about 3/4" wide. I rounded the lower corners, stuck down the lower edge first and ironed the rest of it down working towards the top, over the top and down the other side using a round piece of steel. I trimmed the excess on the back side. It took about 5 minutes total.

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Man, it's a shame that 1, they could mess up chrome plating, I mean, I thought we had that figured out in the 50's? and 2, knowing there was an issue they didn't fix the replacements.

One of mine (driver's) is peeling and very sharp, I even cut myself once, but I'm too lazy to mess with it. Now that that part of my hand is healed over and scarred, I don't have any issues any more.

What chrome plating? It's a plastic handle covered in more shiny plastic, no chrome whatsoever.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Man, it's a shame that 1, they could mess up chrome plating, I mean, I thought we had that figured out in the 50's? and 2, knowing there was an issue they didn't fix the replacements.

One of mine (driver's) is peeling and very sharp, I even cut myself once, but I'm too lazy to mess with it. Now that that part of my hand is healed over and scarred, I don't have any issues any more.
    Wow! Mine is peeling and sharp too. I often wondered if anyone got cut, it would be safety issue and GM would have to do something about it.
    What does the membership think?

Doug

I would agree that it could be a potential saftey concern, but not a big enough one for GM to really care. Granted I wouldn't mind seeing a recall for a door handle but I'd say that's a bit of a pipe dream for all of us.
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.