Blown Engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Blown Engine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok so I have a 2006 V6 STS that just hit 100k a few days ago. I was on the ...
    CaddySTS17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 4

Blown Engine

Ok so I have a 2006 V6 STS that just hit 100k a few days ago. I was on the parkway yesterday doing about 65-70mph when I began to hear a loud ticking noise. I immediately pulled over and upon slowing down the car stalled out at around 30mph. I had to have the car towed as it would not crank at all. I have always changed oil regularly and checked & maintained levels as I know these cars are notorious for burning oil.

My mechanic is telling me that the engine is sludged and I would need to get a new engine. He told me he could not even get the engine to crank. My question to you guys is there any way you think this motor is salvageable or am I at a total loss? I would appreciate any input, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG

Re: Blown Engine

----------

1harleyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 sts / '06 sts

In the old days you could drain the oil , refill with 5 or 6 qts of Kerosean what ever yours holds. Turn the engine over (without the plugs in) with a breaker bar on the crank until it was loose. drain the kerosean refill with oil and see what happens. Now I dont know what you could expect. It might work . What do you have to loose, but time.

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Seems like it could be a lot of things from your description. The mechanic ought to be able to be more specific.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I'm betting that if you take the top off the oil filter it'll be packed full of metal shavings from rod and main bearings. It's a gone gosling.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I may be no fan of the V6 but that's surprising and I'm sorry to hear of it. It sure sounds more like catastrophic oil loss than 'sludge'. If you used oil with the correct GM rating and SAE weight, checked it regularly (adding reasonable amounts when needed) and changed it according to the OLM, there is no good reason to expect this trouble.

I admit you are not the first forum member to report this from a V6, but catastrophic oil loss is still pretty rare overall and very rare with reasonable care such as described. Even the worst cases don't burn much oil until after other oiling issues and/or un-tended oil loss cause collateral damage. Some members contend that other than some early design weaknesses and a batch of bad chains, most of the timing chains issues can be avoided with an anti-foaming mod.

Car forums usually have more posts with bad news than good, just from human nature. When all is well, we are living life and not so motivated to write a post about something that worked just fine. Now bad stuff? That motivates people!

Anyway, I hope your luck turns. Maybe you'll find a good used or rebuilt replacement engine.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Did you have to replace the engine in your STS. Danny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.