Transmission troubles - 2006 STS 3.6 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Transmission troubles - 2006 STS 3.6 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Looks like I'm buying a used transmission. Pump is making grinding sounds at me, and if I have to drop ...
    CadiTamer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 RWD

Re: Transmission troubles - 2006 STS 3.6

Looks like I'm buying a used transmission. Pump is making grinding sounds at me, and if I have to drop the thing, I'm only doing it once.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

That is what I would do as well.
    Pick up a new convertor and a used tranny and call it a day.

I thought i was supposed to have to worry about the timing chain snapping... Not the transmission dying. Oh well. As long as things like this aren't constant issues, i'll be happy.

Are there any tips anyone has for dropping the transmissions on these cars, or is it just remove the exhaust, unplug, unbolt, and drop?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I don't have any tips as my documentation would be for the 6spd and V8 but hopefully it is that simple.... and as you are RWD you don't have to deal with a transfer case being in the way as well.

Like I mentioned before I hadn't heard of anyone with transmission failures on the forums so its certainly not common.
    There are a lot of torque convertor issues in the early years from what i've seen but never the transmission being the issue, typically I recall seeing the convertor replaced and a TCM update being installed (may have been on AWD model only).

Yeah, transmission failures certainly don't seem common. With this one being neglected for so long though, i can't be surprised... Stopped up filter = starved pump = metal on metal = metal bits coming out the pump.

It drives decently, and i'm sure i can get a few thousand more miles out of it, but if i have to drop the whole thing to replace the TC, i may as well replace the entire transmission to be safe. Found a good one for $650 with 40K miles on it, so it's not even due for its first service, which means i can take care of it The grinding sound coming from the front of the transmission when the car is cold is what worries me. I'm sure when i drop the pan, i'll find more metal bits.

Pretty sure i'm going to do this myself, and spend the money that would be going to paying a shop to do it on cats... Have to remove the exhaust anyway...

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Any up date on you transmission and torque converter. Danny

Driven about 1000 miles on the new transmission. Shifts MUCH nicer, though the torque converter lockup is still kinda hard. I'm going to take the car to the Cadillac dealer soon and have them update the TCM and clear the adapt tables and see if that helps any. No shudder, no funny sounds, no hard shifts. It drives better now than when i bought it.

Easily the hardest part of the swap was getting the thermostat housing off the engine... Has to go in there and come out in just the right way, or it'll jam, and with no room to see what you're really doing, it's no fun. The rest was pretty simple, though. 6 bolts to and 6 rubber hangers to drop the exhaust, pull the left cat, pull the starter and move it towards the front of the engine, and then unbolt the torque converter. Then the bolts for the bellhousing come out, transmission drops down, and then the new one goes in... If i didn't have to rip both the intake manifolds and the thermostat housing back out, it would have gone much faster. My stupid butt didn't put water in BEFORE putting the world back together, so of course an o-ring got pinched. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.