2005 STS No Crank/No Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS No Crank/No Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; got a 2005 sts with northstar engine I drove it home from work everything worked fine next morning went to ...
    mikera is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2005 STS No Crank/No Start

got a 2005 sts with northstar engine I drove it home from work everything worked fine next morning went to start it hit the brakes pushed the button all the dashboard lights turned off everything then 15 seconds later it came back on when I tried to scan it for codes there is no communication with the pcm but my scanner can communicate with the tcm and all the other moduals starter is not bad I jumped it from the relay box and it cranks the engine but still no start any one else have this kind of problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 2005 STS No Crank/No Start

Could be lots of things, but with all start problems, first step is to verify a good battery and battery terminal attachments (for tightness).

mikera is offline Cadillac Owners Member

battery is brand new from dealer terminals are on good and tight

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Don't rule out the battery. Have it tested. I've experienced personally/heard stories of defective batteries many times. Has the car been driven since the battery was replaced?

JT_alpha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 sts 4.6 lh2

ive had this problem before when i tried to scan for codes too try disconecting the battery for about a minute and connect back this will reset the ecu and then try again it should crank

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Facing that symptom, I would also first suspect the battery.

Roger O'Dell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts2007 xlr v1941,1947,1948 sedenettes,1957 seville,195

I had a similar problem last week, stopped for lunch, got back in the car, starter clicked but didn't turn the eng over. As time went on I noticed a msg "THEFT ATTEMPT START DEACTIVATED" or something. But it appeared to me to be a weak battery,however the acc worked fine radio etc. I called the auto club to replace the Battery. They came out and did a test, said battery was ok. I had it towed, was going to the dealer but by the time I got in the Area they were closed. I took it home jumped the Batt next morning, took it to the dealer, they tested and said batt had a weak cell. I had them replace the Batt in my 2005 sts 4.6 as well as the key thob Batt. Worked ok this week. Roger

keith721 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6L V6

I've purchased new batteries before that had defective cells and another that was shorted dead and refused to charge at all. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not bad in some way.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Did this get resolved? Non communication problems are usually power to the module in question or data wire continuity.

daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    Did this get resolved? Non communication problems are usually power to the module in question or data wire continuity.
    I too, ask, did it get resolved.
    Folks, especially new folks, don't abandon us here just because the problem is fixed,
    This is a site to help and solve, every time you post with an idea or solution, it helps all of us.

These cars can be like girls, always posing Q's with no solutions.

(with apologies to super moderator Jesda)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.