Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Daddler!

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Hey do you know off hand which module stores the steering wheel control options? Is it the IPM?

#2 ·
As I recall, the steering wheel control options (actually most option parameters) are stored in the IPM and RIM. The IPM is the primary while the RIM acts as a backup. If the the IPM fails the car will still have parameters to operate. Duplication to the RIM is automatic and settings do not have to be programmed to both, only the IPM. Steering wheel controls are set by an option parameter. For example, if you have adaptive cruise enabled as an option, the IPM will interpret the button press as being different than if adaptive cruise is not. As a result, the data bus command and which module it is sent to will vary.

#3 ·
Always bothered me that 05-06 do not have a radio favorite button. In 07 the seek back button became a 1-6 channel button. I wanted to see about activating that when I have the dealer activate the HUD on my IPM however I don't see a way to select that option from your IPM screen shots (but it may be different since you selected an 08). For 05-06 to have a favorites button you don't have a heated wheel and it takes the position of that switch.

I may also have to request they go into the IPM as an 08 STS as HUD and ACC weren't separately available until then thus they may not be able to individually activate the HUD which would change the configuration of the other steering wheel controls.

#5 · (Edited)
Always bothered me that 05-06 do not have a radio favorite button. In 07 the seek back button became a 1-6 channel button.
...btw...kinda strange, but...
...after my Cadillac dealer has done the navigation soft-/firmware update (for using newer nav discs) there is a "change" on my 2006 STS happened to the SEEK (+/-) button...on my (heated and wooden N31) steering wheel...:

...the SEEK button (+) there now behaves like the 1-6 channel button...it skips forward through the stored 6 "Preset Stations"...
...Seek (-) is still a seek button...but search is backwards...

...also the CD mode...Seek (+) loads/changes the 6 CDs (1,2,3,4,5,6...)
...Seek (-) skips back to the previous track of the particular CD (or to start of the current track, if more than 10 seconds have played)

...it's almost like the 2007 mentioned...only with a little difference...(btw...it's the export YQ6 nav/radio, not domestic YQ4)

...it might be a fault or whatever...or it has something to do with the update...I don't know...but nav/radio works perfectly...

#4 · (Edited)
Also, the information I outlined in post #2 only applies to the 2005=07 model year. In 2008 things changed quite a bit. Some steering wheel controls connect to the IPM and some connect to the RIM. The resistance values have changed for several of the functions. This of course will create a different voltage drop across the IPM and/or RIM input(s). When I have a chance I'll post more specifics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.