Yes, they are fixing the voice recognition. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Yes, they are fixing the voice recognition. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well said Tony. I haven't had one thing wrong with my STS. I think the car is sweet man....
    Bigplay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade, 2014 CTS V-sport Premium

Re: Yes, they are fixing the voice recognition.

Well said Tony. I haven't had one thing wrong with my STS. I think the car is

sweet man.

redlinests is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow now i know i'm not the only with this problem! I just started a new post re: the VR system! SORRY! Glad to here a fix is in the works . I'll call my Dealer!!

Cajonkev is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra

I asked the car to lower the windows the other day and it switched over to Italian! Funny but I will be happy when/if they get this fixed as well. I would be happy with a couple of dozen commands that worked rather than 170 that don't.

CTSollecito is offline Cadillac Owners Member

so whats the latest on this update since i recently just purchased an STS and the voice recognition will understand like 1 command..its really inaccurate. So hopefully this update will be completed soon so i can pay the dealer a visit

Bernster is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can't fix VR soon enuf!! I just said "phone dial name" and VR replied "navigation ski resort" . This VR is a total joke but I am not laughing. My car listed for over 64k and they really should have this right at that price.

RAP644 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

I went to three different Cad dealers in the Charlotte area. none knew of any problems with VR on the 05 STS.This is a joke

transylvania is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

I had the microphone changed today and there is no change in the way VR works. It is truly a joke and my only true big disappointment with the STS.

The speaker-independent VR requires a reduction of commands to the ones that are really necessary to use while driving. Less commands means a greater probability of word recognition. I don't need a voice command to turn down the window or change the temperature, the buttons are next to me. I do need phone dialing and navigation commands because I am not allowed to use the Bluetooth phone screen or the Navigation system while driving.

I will be contacting Cadillac to tell them that they need to get a software change ASAP (I heard one is coming soon but I am not holding my breath). They cannot claim a capability and have it perform the way VR works. That is not acceptable.

We Cadillac STS owners have to get together and speak with one voice so they get our attention.

Moderator, please start a poll or a list of people that have the VR problem so we can petition Cadillac to fix the problem. Thanks

P.S. Some people have claimed that they have had their STS VR fixed. Please tell us in detail what was done. Thanks

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

This was all mentioned in the initial posting. There's no reason to contact Cadillac via phone or petition, they already are aware that it's not performing as planned, and the ugrade is in the works.

The list of commands will be reduced, thus enabling greater recognition, as I mentioned in my first post. Designing a VR system that will not only recognize a broad range of voice types, but integrate into the existing software without causing the car's computer to lock up or crash (see Mercedes 7 series) is undoubtedly a time consuming process.

Instead of dwelling on one negative aspect, I'd forget it and enjoy the rest of the car. The fix will come in due time, once it's right. Imagine how pissed everyone would be if they released a half-baked upgrade that wasn't much better.

transylvania is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Orlando
    This was all mentioned in the initial posting. There's no reason to contact Cadillac via phone or petition, they already are aware that it's not performing as planned, and the ugrade is in the works.

The list of commands will be reduced, thus enabling greater recognition, as I mentioned in my first post. Designing a VR system that will not only recognize a broad range of voice types, but integrate into the existing software without causing the car's computer to lock up or crash (see Mercedes 7 series) is undoubtedly a time consuming process.

Instead of dwelling on one negative aspect, I'd forget it and enjoy the rest of the car. The fix will come in due time, once it's right. Imagine how pissed everyone would be if they released a half-baked upgrade that wasn't much better.
    My rant was instigated by the fact that the post above mine mentioned Cadillac dealers like mine that have no clue that there is a problem with VR.

If Cadillac was working on a fix instead of releasing tenth-bake VR software, they should notify the dealers that they are working on the problem and I will then keep quiet until they release it.

Your comment that developing speaker-independent VR software that will not crash the computer is time consuming, shows naivete about the software development process. I am in my 37th year as a software and system engineer and if we released software that worked like the VR we would be laughed out of the industry. The time consuming part of the development should have been undertaken prior to the release not post release. We are unwitting beta testers for some pretty buggy software. Writing software that does not crash is what "writing software" is all about.

I also understand that other Cadillacs have VR software that works quite well. Porting that software from those Cadillacs to the STS should not have been a time-consuming task.

As far as enjoying the car, I am. JD Powers has sent me a form asking me about my experiences with my Cadillac. I could not find anything wrong with my car except for the Navigation computer which processes the voice commands and stated so in my response. It was the only bad experience with the car and I admit that this is pretty good for a new car.

Well, the people who developed Mercedes' info-tainment center have yet to be "laughed out of the business".

Most dealers probably aren't aware that the STS team is working on an upgrade. My information is based on a private conversation I had with a member of the team who was in Florida to inspect a celebrity's STS before delivery. They usually don't tell dealers when they're working on a fix, because then they tell customers and those people call every day to ask if it's available yet, then complain incessantly that it isn't coming fast enough.

I originally posted it just to assuage people's fears that Cadillac was unaware of it, but apparently, all it has accomplished is changing the complaining from, "Why don't they fix it?" to, "Why isn't that fix out yet?"

GomezAddams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

My dealer is aware with of the many complaints about the VR on the STS. He did not mention when a fix would be available but he did say that GM/Bose were working on the issues. BTW this VR is better than the VR in the SRX.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Well, the people who developed Mercedes' info-tainment center have yet to be "laughed out of the business".

Most dealers probably aren't aware that the STS team is working on an upgrade. My information is based on a private conversation I had with a member of the team who was in Florida to inspect a celebrity's STS before delivery. They usually don't tell dealers when they're working on a fix, because then they tell customers and those people call every day to ask if it's available yet, then complain incessantly that it isn't coming fast enough.

I originally posted it just to assuage people's fears that Cadillac was unaware of it, but apparently, all it has accomplished is changing the complaining from, "Why don't they fix it?" to, "Why isn't that fix out yet?"
    Thanks for the informationand please keep us posted.

You're quite welcome, and I will.

dunroven is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Tony,
    OK, it's now December and my dealer has heard nothing about an upgrade for VR. He was going to change the mirror and had someone in tech support tell him not to bother as the microphone change will not cure the problem. He was told that there were to many commands, so that tracks with what you're hearing about pairing down the numbers.
    I am one that would prefer to be told what is happening than left in the dark.
    It really seems that the dealers should be kept in the loop as it relates to issues such as this.
    Thanks for all your input.
    -john

Blue Chip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A few weeks ago Robert MacNeil was driving a new BMW to interview persons for a PBS program on language. He was shown giving voice commands to the car, none of which was understood by the BMW. It seems STS owners aren’t the only ones frustrated with VR.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.