Rims and tires, opinions needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Rims and tires, opinions needed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My recently bought 2006 STS have the 17" 7 spoke painted rims and Continental Contact winter tires in correct sizes. ...
    No Quarter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6

Rims and tires, opinions needed

My recently bought 2006 STS have the 17" 7 spoke painted rims and Continental Contact winter tires in correct sizes. When I bought the car and saw this, I thought, let's get through the winter on these and then either get new tires and/or paint rims/get new rims, maybe bigger.

Well, now I see I have decent tread on only 3 tires, rear right is a hari from being illegal. So it's decision time. First some info:
    -I like the rims, the look. I'd like them to be as new, but they're pretty OK
    -I'm impressed with the Conti Contacts, they handle on rails at decent speeds, they're quiet (very very important for a car like this), and I assume they can handle snow though we haven't had any yet and the tread pattern doesn't look snow tires to me...
    -I don't want 18" or bigger if I get a harsher ride
    -I'm not made of money...

I see two alternatives:
    A) get new tires like the ones I had
    B) get more winter like tires and get new rims and tires for summer

A) or B)? Since the Conti Contact act almost like summer tires, why not just keep them?

If A): Any alternatives to Conti Contacts? I need the same sizes, or the computer will dislike it, right?
    If B): Where do I get real snow tires in these sizes? And where do I get fancy rims with the exact diameter and offset as original? I don't want chrome, I'd like a medium grey metallic that I've seen. Who sells rim that have exact dimensions? And will real performance summer tires be more noisy, I don't want that

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Are you awd or rwd

Rwd in the snow belt you need dedicated snows. Rwd is a sled.

Awd throw on some conti dws and call it a day.

Re: Rims and tires, opinions needed

RWD only

Then you need snows.

Conti dw for summer and blizzaks on spares for winter. Can't fit any smaller than 17s.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Conti dw for summer and blizzaks on spares for winter. Can't fit any smaller than 17s.
    ...he is in Europe...no blizzaks this size or any dw available here....
    ...there are very few 255/45/17 "E"-signed, street-legal winter tires here (at the moment only one type from Dunlop, 2 Pirelli and 2 Continental)
    ...it's a rare tire size here...and they are very expensive...

...a little more on 235/50/17....but also expensive (only Kumho is "cheap" )

...there are more for 18" available...and also some more 17" summer tires...

No Quarter, have a look here:

http://www.reifendirekt.de/

...anyway...you won't find that much 255/45/17-sized winter tires...

Continental WinterContact TS 810 S

Continental WinterContact TS 830P, MO and no MO

Pirelli W 240 Sottozero

Pirelli W 210 Sottozero S2 Run Flat

Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3

...sometimes a little less expensive on ebay.de.....

Wow... That sucks lol.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Wow... That sucks lol.
    ...yes....indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    If A): Any alternatives to Conti Contacts? I need the same sizes, or the computer will dislike it, right?
    ...you can put the front tire size 235/50/17 on the rear...without any problems (it doesn't matter that the rear rims are 17 x 8 vs. front 17 x 7.5....tire will fit anyway...the diameter is the same)
    ...235/50/17 on the rear was available as a base option in the US and Canada, but not in Europe...unfortunately the european COC (Certificate of Conformity) paper for the export STS doesn't list this size (and also the 17 x 7.5 rim) for the rear...
    ...but there are also some grey marketed US-specs STS with "base" wheels in Europe, so an approval is possible...if needed

If B):And where do I get fancy rims with the exact diameter and offset as original? I don't want chrome, I'd like a medium grey metallic that I've seen. Who sells rim that have exact dimensions?
    ...to many laws, rules and regulations in Europe, but...
    ...there are some "street legal"/licensed aftermarket aluminum wheel vendors in and for Europe that make wheels fit the 5/115 with 17" or 18" (from 7.5 to 8.5 and offsets from ~35 to ~45 mm) on STS and 1st Gen CTS...Borbet, RH, Ronal, Speedline, CMS, Azev etc...(a 6-lug STS is more problematic)

And will real performance summer tires be more noisy, I don't want that
    ...no, don't think so...summer tires won't be much more noisy...I've got W-rated Kumhos for the summer...if there is a difference I don't hear it...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I recommend against all-season tires on a RWD STS unless snow is very rare and/or you can leave the STS where it sits when the weather is bad. My AWD is alright on Conti DWS in bad weather, but if we got a lot of it, I'd do more there as well.

The STS has a very nice balance on dry pavement and does well in the wet on good tires. But a 2-ton RWD car with around 240 (V6) or 300 (V8) ft. lbs. torque on 8 inch tires over snow is asking for trouble; starting, turning and stopping, no natter how sophisticated the stability systems or talented the driver. Most tires nowadays are made from hard compounds for mileage and durability. Add width like ours and that's a bad formula for snow traction.

lt4obsessed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V6

This will be my second winter with the '06 STS. V6, RWD. The car has Goodyear somethings on it now,235's all around. They're getting close. I ordered a set of Faulken Azenis PT 722's in correct factory size.

I believe, unless you live in 4x4 country where the roads are "plow your own path", an all season tire is fine. The biggest thing about the difference in summer/winter tires is the compound. Summer tires get really hard in cold weather, thus losing grip as well as causing damage to the structure of the tire itself, and premature wear. An all season tire will hold fine in freezing conditons. An all out winter 'blizzak' tire is really only neccessary if you reside in areas with massive snowfall, little road clearance, or extended periods of arctic temps.

For the winter I put a couple of sandbags in the trunk on heavy snow days. I didn't have any issues driving the RWD in the snow. Of course my daily driver before getting this car was a '96 Corvette, so I might have different paradigm of "issues".

Quote Originally Posted by lt4obsessed View Post
    This will be my second winter with the '06 STS. V6, RWD. The car has Goodyear somethings on it now,235's all around. They're getting close. I ordered a set of Faulken Azenis PT 722's in correct factory size.

I believe, unless you live in 4x4 country where the roads are "plow your own path", an all season tire is fine. The biggest thing about the difference in summer/winter tires is the compound. Summer tires get really hard in cold weather, thus losing grip as well as causing damage to the structure of the tire itself, and premature wear. An all season tire will hold fine in freezing conditons. An all out winter 'blizzak' tire is really only neccessary if you reside in areas with massive snowfall, little road clearance, or extended periods of arctic temps.

For the winter I put a couple of sandbags in the trunk on heavy snow days. I didn't have any issues driving the RWD in the snow. Of course my daily driver before getting this car was a '96 Corvette, so I might have different paradigm of "issues".
    I drove a 97 Z28 with 275 summer tires and no traction control for 7 winters, lots of snow, not easy, but stayed out of trouble. Getting up some hills took some planning...

Thanks, I ended up just ordering two Conti 810 Sports like I have, because they're supposed to be winter tires, and I think they handle well, and the fronts have 6mm left. I have an old Jeep as backup.
    Maybe summer rims and tires in spring...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.