First time Cadillac owner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1BadCadSTS
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, First time Cadillac owner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am in the process of buying 2005 cadillac sts4 4.6 with right at 127,000 miles. I am getting the ...
    1BadLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS4 4.6

First time Cadillac owner

I am in the process of buying 2005 cadillac sts4 4.6 with right at 127,000 miles. I am getting the differential bushing replaced tomorrow. I was wondering is there anything that I should look for that might not be obvious from driving or from a visual inspection. It drives out real good. Also
    are there any modifications that are recommended? I am thinking about an exhaust and maybe a tune. Are these modifications worth the expense? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STSJr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Hi, I have an 05 STS4 N* also. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the ride. My car is original besides some light tint. Enjoy!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: First time Cadillac owner

If you prefer a different exhaust tone there are some mods members like; none gain much performance. The car is very well optimized by its designers. Only Madtuner has cracked the early V8 ECM/TCM, so anything else is a waste.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I am thinking about getting an exhaust put on. I will put my codes up later today. Is there a downside to getting the Madtuner upgrade?

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadLac
    Thanks. I am thinking about getting an exhaust put on. I will put my codes up later today. Is there a downside to getting the Madtuner upgrade?
    Loss of mpg due to fun factor and less tq converter lock up....

Tell him 1badcadsts sent you he'll take care of you. And I don't like how similar your name is to mine haha.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadLac View Post
    Typical worthwhile exhaust options are:
    Gibson (less expensive, louder, reports of some drone)
    Corsa (more expensive, no reports of drone) - I believe that 1BadCadSTS has Corsa

Some users have reported changing the intake to a cone type will make it seem like you have done exhaust.
    However keep in mind that the current intake setup flows more air than the NA Northstar can use at max RPM.

Correct I do have Corsa among other mods!

3 kit options are in order from least expensive to most:
    Gibson
    Corsa
    Borla (GM Performance)

Gibson and Corsa are just axle backs Borla is a full cat back but honestly on our true dual systems its unnecessary.

Corsa gives dyno proven HP while not making a Cadillac sound like a 60's Mustang on glasspacks. Zero done. At idle and cruise youll barely know its there, when you drop the hammer though in the words of my friends who were tailing behind it sounds like a Saleen going WOT. Corsa really gives the car more of an exotic tone due to its design and the N*s high reving DOHC set up. This is as opposed to an old school Chevy with a pushrod set up.

Here are my codes:
    1SG, 25U, 32I, 7SF, 9HD, AL2, AQ9, B20, CE4, CJ2, DR2, F55, 323, 6SF, 8HD, A45, AP9, AY0, CE1, CF5, DD8, E2C, FE3, FE9,
    IL3, JJA, KA6, KB6, K14, KG4, MV3, GU5, JE5, LH2, N31, N87, NV7, NT9, Q12, TQ5, T43, TT6, U2K, U30, UA6, UE1, UG1, UJ6,
    UY5, V03, V4X, VM3, YQ4.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Is there an easy way to lower a car with mrc with out spending a lot of money?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadLac
    Here are my codes:
    1SG, 25U, 32I, 7SF, 9HD, AL2, AQ9, B20, CE4, CJ2, DR2, F55, 323, 6SF, 8HD, A45, AP9, AY0, CE1, CF5, DD8, E2C, FE3, FE9,
    IL3, JJA, KA6, KB6, K14, KG4, MV3, GU5, JE5, LH2, N31, N87, NV7, NT9, Q12, TQ5, T43, TT6, U2K, U30, UA6, UE1, UG1, UJ6,
    UY5, V03, V4X, VM3, YQ4.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Is there an easy way to lower a car with mrc with out spending a lot of money?
    Only game in down in D3. Overpriced poor service and will dramatically shorten the life of your 800 per shock/strut suspension components. Not worth it.

Thanks. That solves that problem.

Rumor has it that MRC-equipped cars can be lowered a bit just by shortening the metering rods. There was a post about 10 months ago where a member wrote about replacing the ride-height metering rods with threaded rods & matched ends. He claimed he could trim his car to about a quarter-inch.

Or I'm dreaming...

It could have been 3-4 years just as easy. Try you favorite search engine if you you really want it like, "Cadillac forums sts 2005 leveling threaded rod".

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    Rumor has it that MRC-equipped cars can be lowered a bit just by shortening the metering rods. There was a post about 10 months ago where a member wrote about replacing the ride-height metering rods with threaded rods & matched ends. He claimed he could trim his car to about a quarter-inch.

Or I'm dreaming...

It could have been 3-4 years just as easy. Try you favorite search engine if you you really want it like, "Cadillac forums sts 2005 leveling threaded rod".
    Better get it aligned after that. Camber would be way off. Alignment is set with the rear suspension at ride height. Which also has always had me curious if those with nivomat shocks are set right. For them to pump up you need to drive the car when it sits they lower. Most alignment shops don't take the car right from you to the rack, it sits outside before they get to it.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Rumor has it that MRC-equipped cars can be lowered a bit just by shortening the metering rods.
    Does this actually work?
    I'd wonder if you could increase the length to make the car a bit higher in winter and reduce it in summer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Good point; but perhaps not quite as applicable to the rears?

I presume factory specs are designed to a 'sweet spot', where variations in ride height cause the smallest variations in all three axis. When the front wheels are turned more from center, the geometry alters dramatically.

According to GM Document ID 2017478, the 2006 AWD settings & tolerance are:

Specification--Setting--Tolerance--Cross Tolerance (in degrees)
    Front Camber -0.50 +/- 0.60 +/- 0.60
    Front Caster 5.50 +/- 0.60 +/- 0.60
    Total Toe 0.20 +/- 0.20
    Steering Wheel Angle 0 +/- 3.0
    Trust Angle - N/A

Rear Camber -0.90 +/- 0.60 +/- 0.75
    Rear Caster - N/A
    Rear Toe 0.20 +/- 0.20 (Individual toe -- 0.00 +/- 0.1)
    Thrust Angle 0 +/- 0.20

The only difference for the RWD is the front caster is 5.85. Please note this applies to 2006 models. Others may be different.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.