Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Backup Camera Interface

17K views 102 replies 25 participants last post by  1BadCadSTS 
#1 ·
I have someone who will make them if we get enough interest. It would work by hijacking the stock nav screen. As soon as you put it in reverse it would default to the camera image and return to normal once back in drive.

PLEASE POST IF INTERESTED!

#14 ·
Have you happened to disassemble the nav unit before?
I'd like to see some high resolution shots of each side of each circuit board I was thinking about it the other day and it's possible that there might be a serial (rs-232/uart/ttl) interface or a jtag interface that was used in manufacturing diagnostics a lot of devices have them still on the circuit board and just have no headers connected to them. If this is present it's possible to connect to it via a computer and possibly gain access to the hardware. This is commonly done in home wifi routers to run dd-wrt firmware instead of the factory firmware and the xbox, etc. chances are slim but it is possible that it may be present.

Depending on how this current hijacking of the nav display pans out for the rear camera we will likely have to do some disassembly of the nav unit anyways and I guess I'll have a chance to dig into it then.

(My car is at the dealer, yet again, this time for broken lumbar support that they cannot seem to fix properly so I cannot tear into my own nav unit at this time to look into it.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
Which is very readily available on aliexpress.com and the only clean way to add the camera making it feel very factory.

This would / could also make it technically possible to integrate a FLIR camera (aka nightvision) and have it display on the nav screen while moving forward if you setup a manual trigger method (which makes some assumptions about it's inherent design)

#20 ·
targetSTS said:
yeah it possible to buy the camera, but it doesn't fit STS directly, cause they change the hole size in the trunk where backup camera and license plate lights located. So to install it same way as OEM you need to buy SLS trunk lid too :)
09 should fit. The 10+ is different more round mounting.

----------

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ight-vision-wide-viewing-angle/793266787.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/car-camera-CADILLAC-2010-SLS/441255337.html

#23 ·
targetSTS said:
Oh no :tisk:

both are 5$ crap. not oem. Even SLS haven't had oem backup camera until 2010

I'm talking about oem camera.
OEM is $ due to increased functionality. It will not show parking grid with lines and turn with the wheel like newer cars cuz we aren't programmed for it.
For $20 it will be fine. I bought it and honestly who would notice the lack of chrome vs the other trim. I bought one ill post up how it looks when I'm done.

#29 ·
You would either have to design the delay into the unit or have a time delay relay. Ideally it would keep the backup camera active for about 5 seconds after you change gears too like oem does so you can move forward and back without dealing with waiting for display lag.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
^^^ I HATE THIS APP!!!!!
You cannot disable this signature even using the PAID app.
Tapatalk was so much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.