Backup Camera Interface - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Backup Camera Interface in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...could be interesting...if this will work with the export nav/radio, too...? (hmm...should also source the china cadillac sls backup camera... ...
    PontiacV8 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Re: Backup Camera Interface

...could be interesting...if this will work with the export nav/radio, too...? (hmm...should also source the china cadillac sls backup camera... )

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacV8 View Post
    ...could be interesting...if this will work with the export nav/radio, too...? (hmm...should also source the china cadillac sls backup camera... )
    Which is very readily available on aliexpress.com and the only clean way to add the camera making it feel very factory.

This would / could also make it technically possible to integrate a FLIR camera (aka nightvision) and have it display on the nav screen while moving forward if you setup a manual trigger method (which makes some assumptions about it's inherent design)

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Already ordered one!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Which is very readily available on aliexpress.com and the only clean way to add the camera making it feel very factory.

This would / could also make it technically possible to integrate a FLIR camera (aka nightvision) and have it display on the nav screen while moving forward if you setup a manual trigger method (which makes some assumptions about it's inherent design)
    why cant you just use the AUX input for that?

Technically we can for the reverse cam but i prefer for it to default to it automatically when putting in reverse. To install night-vision you should just run the AUX so you can have access to it any time...

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG

yeah it possible to buy the camera, but it doesn't fit STS directly, cause they change the hole size in the trunk where backup camera and license plate lights located. So to install it same way as OEM you need to buy SLS trunk lid too

Quote Originally Posted by targetSTS
    yeah it possible to buy the camera, but it doesn't fit STS directly, cause they change the hole size in the trunk where backup camera and license plate lights located. So to install it same way as OEM you need to buy SLS trunk lid too
    09 should fit. The 10+ is different more round mounting.

----------

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...793266787.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/car-c...441255337.html

Oh no

both are 5$ crap. not oem. Even SLS haven't had oem backup camera until 2010

I'm talking about oem camera.

PontiacV8 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by targetSTS View Post
    cause they change the hole size in the trunk where backup camera and license plate lights located. So to install it same way as OEM you need to buy SLS trunk lid too
    ...really...?...a complete trunk lid? ...if...this will be...ouch... ...ok...no OEM install...

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post

...yeah...I know...

...but...the "2010" part as shown is not just another design...this is the "center" part, for the trunk switch/touch pad, not the lh license plate lamp/housing...(for SLS with backup camera they changed and "shortened" the switch to place the camera)

...so you will also need an original 2010-up SLS trunk switch/touch pad to use this chromed "center" part with camera...alieexpress only sells the cromed part with camera...it doesn't contain the trunk switch...

...the part shown in the first link is the lh license plate light, which might be the easier install...unfortunately it is black, not chromed...

Quote Originally Posted by targetSTS
    Oh no

both are 5$ crap. not oem. Even SLS haven't had oem backup camera until 2010

I'm talking about oem camera.
    OEM is $ due to increased functionality. It will not show parking grid with lines and turn with the wheel like newer cars cuz we aren't programmed for it.
    For $20 it will be fine. I bought it and honestly who would notice the lack of chrome vs the other trim. I bought one ill post up how it looks when I'm done.

why cant you just use the AUX input for that?
    Technically we can for the reverse cam but i prefer for it to default to it automatically when putting in reverse. To install night-vision you should just run the AUX so you can have access to it any time...
    This is assuming you also have a lockpick installed...
    I haven't had my lockpick or audio input device (iSimple audio gateway) installed for months due to the dealer's blaming them for my speed limited to 120mph ongoing issue.

If this device will use the LAN to determine if it is in reverse then that would be ideal but I feel that it would need a trigger wire of some kind like is used on aftermarket backup camera additions that basically turn on when the backup lamps are on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Likely it will use a relay trigger. Reverse lights activate wire which trips relay which forces nav to camera mode.

OEM is $ due to increased functionality. It will not show parking grid with lines and turn with the wheel like newer cars cuz we aren't programmed for it.
    For $20 it will be fine. I bought it and honestly who would notice the lack of chrome vs the other trim. I bought one ill post up how it looks when I'm done.
    I tested some of them, working so-so, better than nothing, but it has cheap matrix and lens as result mediocre image quality.
    oem camera should be much better. Going to try it later.....not now

raiders4u2nv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V Silver/ 2007 Escalade Silver/ 94 Corvette vert

Plasti dip all three and they will look good.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Likely it will use a relay trigger. Reverse lights activate wire which trips relay which forces nav to camera mode.
    So when you shift from drive to park and vice versa and your reverse lights cut on for that split second, the nav will be forced into backup camera mode? Hopefully there's some kind of a delay built into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    So when you shift from drive to park and vice versa and your reverse lights cut on for that split second, the nav will be forced into backup camera mode? Hopefully there's some kind of a delay built into it.
    You would either have to design the delay into the unit or have a time delay relay. Ideally it would keep the backup camera active for about 5 seconds after you change gears too like oem does so you can move forward and back without dealing with waiting for display lag.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    ^^^ I HATE THIS APP!!!!!
    You cannot disable this signature even using the PAID app.
    Tapatalk was so much better.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Yep forgot about a delay to keep it on when it's put back into drive.

I just use safari on my iPhone when doing the forums.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.