Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Backup Camera Interface

17K views 102 replies 25 participants last post by  1BadCadSTS 
#1 ·
I have someone who will make them if we get enough interest. It would work by hijacking the stock nav screen. As soon as you put it in reverse it would default to the camera image and return to normal once back in drive.

PLEASE POST IF INTERESTED!

#41 ·
I was just driving a 2014 Cadillac ATS and it has this particular option. But I couldn't find out where the camera was. I think is hidden in the XM radio receiver on the roof.

Seems there's no easy way to accomplish this on our vehicles. It also uses the BT to play my music from my iPhone. It connects the same way pairing the phone does in my STS. But MY car somehow doesn't like playing the audio thru the car via BT. Sucks!!!! Gotta use the audio jacks in the console and choose video. Sucks really bad. But if U don't have a lockpick, U have the ghetto-rig everything. Sucks....

#42 ·
Well at least when you do play music, the sound system doesn't... suck.

And what do you mean about the lockpick comment? You can't watch video on CUE while the car is in gear..
The car is almost 10 years newer than yours.. needless to say it's going to have some better technology in it. But I'm with you man. When I got out of my 79 coupe Deville and got in the STS, I was absolutely livid that the CDV didn't have nav. :stirpot:

#44 ·
Hands down. Carter (carter's sts) mentioned in a thread on the STS-V forum that he's nervous that a future car he buys won't have as good a sound system as what he has. And I agree. I believe they're upgrading the ATS premium sound from 10 to 13 speakers. Hopefully they bump the CTS from 13. I've never heard the CTS's premium sound system but hopefully it blows me away.

#45 · (Edited)
The ATS was a rental. And I was stating the truth. And who cares if the video doesn't play while driving? I didn't watch a video anyways. But my daughters's 2004 Honda Element had an aux 1/8 jack tht you could plug directly in. The STS has a WAY better sound quality than the ATS. My comment wasn't abiout video at all. It was that it sucks that I have to go thru the audio RCA lines to play my iPhone music. And unlike GUY, I didn't replace my older car with the STS. I drove the newer rental while MY older car was getting repairs. Trust me, if I wanted and XTS or ATS, I would walk right in and drive it off the fricken floor... And have no monthly payments. Now, I love my car, it's sound system, and everything else. But I wish it had some conveniences I like, and usually there may be a way to achieve this. And most replies here are helpful. Most of them. I just hoped there would be a way to make the BT work between my phone and the audio system without buying a whole new head unit. That was all. My older car happened to be a 2003 Seville (last of the old body style) STS that DID have NAV. And the older before that was a 2000, and before that, my 99 STS. I'm on my 4th STS.

#46 ·
Well the only reason I made the comment about watching video is because you made the comment "But if U don't have a lockpick, U have the ghetto-rig everything." I guess I'm not so sure where you were going with that. By the way I've rented an xts. Drove it from NC to upstate NY and back. Great car but I was so happy to be back in my car when it was over.

----------

So your daughter's 2004 Honda doesn't have an RCA jack then...

#49 ·
There are tiny Bluetooth receivers that you could leave plugged into the RCA jacks to get automatic connection & playback. You wouldn't be able to also have the phone connect to the car as a headset, though. Amazon & their partners have almost a dozen different brands & styles.

#51 ·
I was trying to find the camera location for the ATS. When in reverse, it looks like it's peering down from the *** of the window. I can see the top of the trunk fin. But when I go. Ack there, it's not easily seen. I thought it may be inf the XM receiver on the roof possibly. But doesn't look like it. It's very convenient. Although, my STS4 beeps when I get close. The ATS doesn't. But the display in the head unit gives. Lear markings for the distance. Green, yellow, and red.

#54 ·
*bump*
Start driving that STS again 1BadCadSTS and you'll want this ... I feel its more elegant of a solution for a backup cam than your modified lockpick is.

Everyone send Pac-audio an email to sales asking for them to make it.
http://www.pac-audio.com/contact.aspx

Here is what I sent them via their website to "Sales":

Are there any plans for creating a product like the VCI-GM3 (available for the 2006-2011 Cadillac DTS) for the (2005 - 2011) Cadillac STS Navigation system?
I'm specifically looking at the 2008 model year.
The STS uses a navigation system that is similar to the Escalade "SuperNav" if that matters, perhaps it could be used for both the STS and Escalade (2007 - 2014).

The reasoning behind this request is that GM never offered a 'rear camera / backup camera' for the STS and the lockpick (NU-STS) that is available doesn't work while the car is in Reverse (only works while in forward gears) so you cannot use the car's built in AUX-input as a backup camera option. Adding this input method would make a rear camera option available for the STS.

#57 ·
I got a reply today.
Hopefully with more interest / email flood from us potential customers it may change.
I was surprised to even see a reply.

Date: October 9, 2014 at 12:08:03 PM CDT
Subject: RE: Sales Request from PAC

Hello,
At this time there is not plans for that device to be built and I have not heard anything in the works currently to build one yet either. Sorry

Thank you,

Scott Thornsburg
Technical Support Advisor
AAMP of America

#65 ·
Would love to know if anyone has been able to install a backup camera. I didn't realize that the nav unlock only worked in forward gears, and have already purchase a camera and connectors to feed the signal to the RCA jack in the console. Fortunately, I haven't drilled the hole required to mount the camera !

#69 ·
Not sure if there is an 'easy' way but even if you do connect to it you can't display video in reverse so its rather useless as a backup camera.
You'd need the lockpick for the 05-07 STS that is modified to enable / disable using a toggle switch instead of holding the source button for a few seconds or quad tapping mute (depending on version).

Alternatively you could send your Nav unit into NavTool and they could make an interface adapter to take over the main display to show whatever you want.

#70 ·
Maybe we can all put in $5 into some account over paypal or something. Eventually it will reach a few hundred, enough to get a refurb from ebay. Yes? No? But if PAC already builds STS integration for various applications, wouldn't you think they already have a head unit in their testing lab? http://www.pac-audio.com/productSea...37&Model=STS&ModelId=1704&Year=2008&YearId=19

----------

Quick search returned this link... Thoughts?
http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/CarSpecificCameraSystems/Cadillac-Backup-Camera-System

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.