Forward Exterior lighting improvements
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ludacrisvp
  • 1 Post By Ludacrisvp
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Forward Exterior lighting improvements in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Forward Exterior lighting improvements

I've been planning to 1-up the current intellibeam we have for a while now
    I've mostly completed the first phase of this with a bi-xeon HID retrofit into the fog housing to replace the fogs with the Morimoto Mini H1 from TRS.

I plan to make the following improvements as well as time / money allows.
    Replace the D1S low beams with these lamps that are 5000k and produce 3200 lumens per lamp which I believe is more lumens than our xenstart phillips lamps.
    D1S: OSRAM XENARC 66144 CBI
    Then replace the 9005 halogen high beam lamps with 9011 HiR lamps from amazon they just require a little trimming of the tab to be used in our lamps.
    Some figures about the 9011 and 9005 bulbs.
    9005's (high beam bulb) DOT light output spec is 1700 lumens, +/- 12% at 12.8v, maximum 70 watts.
    9011's (high beam bulb) DOT light output spec is 2300 lumens, +/- 15% at 12.8v, maximum 70 watts.
    What this means is that the DOT guidelines for bulbs states that a 9005 bulb has to put out between 1496 and 1904 lumens, the 9011 has to put out between 1955 and 2645 lumens. So the 9011 will always put out at least 500 lumens more than 9005 if they are meeting spec at all and up to about 1100 more lumens at the extremes of spec.

The 9011 lamps are about $40 for the pair from amazon and the new D1S lamps are $200 from TRS, I considered just doing the 9011 lamps now but I don't want to take the bumper off to do one then the other again later, I also have to replace the peanut lamps with some decent LEDs but haven't located a good set so far.

Lens cover removed (heated in oven for about 7 mins @ 250°F to weaken the rubber seal)

Back of reflector housing:

Mounting equipment for the stock H3 projector:

Comparing the 2 projectors:

Cleaned up the excess rubber to allow me to reseal the housing with butyl glue instead:

Modified the projector holder to hold the new projector:

Another Angle:

Another angle:

Fitting new projector into mounting:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Forward Exterior lighting improvements

Projector lined up horizontally:

Another angle:

Test fitting:

Another angle:

Another angle:

Unable to close the lens cover due to extended size of projector lens, trimming needed on the reflector to allow this to fit.

Material trimmed from reflector:

Comparison of modified to non modified:

New projector poking out in the housing:

Completed:

testing output of projector:

original Fog light output only:

Lows and fogs:

New fogs only (iphone camera changed exposure a lot between testing, these are deceptive photos):

New Fogs and lows:

I still need to make some height adjustments as they are a bit too low right now and I still have to integrate the High beam feature of the fog lamps but have been having some wiring difficulties.
    PontiacV8 likes this.

After some discussion with ddalder about the Auto highbeam relay I decided to tap into the highbeams at the driver side headlight harness.
    The Auto Highbeam relay is apparently in the dashboard between the radio and your right knee in the center console area, this sends the power to the highbeams through the firewall and into a connector under the relay center that I probably could have tapped into but it wasn't easy to locate the wire harness and I didn't want to open a can of worms electrically by removing the relay center to access this harness.
    So I pulled out the Airbox instead and tapped the Highbeam +12v power source to provide the trigger for the solenoids and did a chassis ground to complete the circuit.

Now when the halogen highs are triggered the solenoid is activated and the bi-xeon lights drop their shield to provide additional highbeam coverage.
    Intellibeam still works as expected, however it seems to turn off more frequently when passing street signage due to the extra light from the car reflecting back.
    When the lights are dimmed on, there is a slight delay (almost undetectable) before the solenoids are activated (likely due to voltage ramping up) when it turns off the highs they deactivate instantly.
    I feel this really helps provide a more even coverage of light at night.

Lows:

Highs:

Lows:

Highs:

Highs:

Lows:

Highs:

Various exposure settings on the camera:
    Lows:

Lows:

Highs:

Highs:

Lows:

Lows:

Lamp color:
    PontiacV8 likes this.

While I was messing around with things I noted that my car uses a 3rd style of HID ballast for the OEM D1S lows.
    There is a thick Phillips XenDrive which was in the 2005 assembly I bought from eBay a year or so ago, there was talk of a round ballast being used in some years of the STS and mine has a very thin Phillips XenDrive ballast.

Thin ballast:

Thin ballast:

Thin ballast:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.