2006 STS Catalytic Converter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS Catalytic Converter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The service engine light came on today. Hooked up my CanOBD2 diagnostic Tool and have a P0430 code. Talked with ...
    bbjorklund99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

2006 STS Catalytic Converter

The service engine light came on today. Hooked up my CanOBD2 diagnostic Tool and have a P0430 code. Talked with the dealer today and sounds like I will need a Catalytic Converter but apparently my warranty on the emissions expired in August. I can't believe a car with 81,301 miles needs a repair like this. Not happy that I have a huge bill coming on a car in which I already spent major bucks to replace a torque converter on at 60,000 miles. Are these kinds of repairs normal for these cars? Very disappointed with the service on an expensive car such as this. Anyone else have this issue at this mileage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Re: 2006 Cadillac STS Catalytic Converter

Im not sure if yours is the same issue that i had with mine but i got mine on my 05 STS with 152000 miles replaced under warranty because there is a extended warranty for certain codes that is extended to 12 years 200000 miles. Someone else might be able to elaborate a little better on what the codes are but i know i got mine replaced for free.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    06 does not apply to the extended coverage.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

and it's total BS, same damn issue with the 06 model year, I'm in the same boat.

8 year/80k is the factory emissions warranty so the OP just barely missed the mark.

I've found aftermarket manifolds (the cat is attached/included) for less than $400, not sure how much labor is involved in the R&R process but I too need to do it at some point.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

bbjorklund99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

Guys thanks for the replies. I normally don't complain about spending money on my cars because I expect to have some unforeseen issues because cars are mechanical. I have owned a lot of GM cars and this one is by far the most expensive from a maintenance standpoint. I expected a few things due to the amount of electronic. I have had almost no problems with the things I expected to have problem with and problems with things I didn't expect to see. I am meticulous in how I service and take care of my cars so I normally do not have mechanical issues. This car has been a bit of a disappointment from the maintenance side. Do the V8's have the same issues or are the torque converters and the Catalytic Converters just a V6 problem?

V8's are in the same boat...But hey, at least the V8 doesn't guzzle oil and snap timing chains
    Past Cadillac's

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bbjorklund99 View Post
    The service engine light came on today. Hooked up my CanOBD2 diagnostic Tool and have a P0430 code. Talked with the dealer today and sounds like I will need a Catalytic Converter but apparently my warranty on the emissions expired in August. I can't believe a car with 81,301 miles needs a repair like this. Not happy that I have a huge bill coming on a car in which I already spent major bucks to replace a torque converter on at 60,000 miles. Are these kinds of repairs normal for these cars? Very disappointed with the service on an expensive car such as this. Anyone else have this issue at this mileage?
    Hello bbjorklund99,

I apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your catalytic converter. I cannot guarantee any assistance would be available, but I would be more than happy to look into your situation for you after a diagnosis is done at a Cadillac dealership. Please feel free to private message me if you would like to further discuss this concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by bbjorklund99
    Guys thanks for the replies. I normally don't complain about spending money on my cars because I expect to have some unforeseen issues because cars are mechanical. I have owned a lot of GM cars and this one is by far the most expensive from a maintenance standpoint. I expected a few things due to the amount of electronic. I have had almost no problems with the things I expected to have problem with and problems with things I didn't expect to see. I am meticulous in how I service and take care of my cars so I normally do not have mechanical issues. This car has been a bit of a disappointment from the maintenance side. Do the V8's have the same issues or are the torque converters and the Catalytic Converters just a V6 problem?
    Tq and cat converters are a v8 problem. Not common v6 one...

lucky.dee@cox.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8 4.6

My check eng. light came on today, I took it to nearest Dealer (Chevy) and they did diagnostic and found both c/converters defective. They then informed me of a Tech bulletin stating that Cadillac had extended the warranty
    on 2004-2005 STS and SRX's with v8 Engines. (LH2)

This special coverage covers the converters for a period of 12 years or 200,000 mi. which ever comes first. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer regardless of ownership history.

Document ID: 2551149

Needless to say i was pleasantly surprised. I am taking it to a Cadillac Dealer first thing tomorrow. Thought I would pass this along in case someone else may need to know.

Now, if only GM would do the same for the 2006 V8's, not holding my breath.
    Past Cadillac's

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by lucky.dee@cox.net View Post
    My check eng. light came on today, I took it to nearest Dealer (Chevy) and they did diagnostic and found both c/converters defective. They then informed me of a Tech bulletin stating that Cadillac had extended the warranty
    on 2004-2005 STS and SRX's with v8 Engines. (LH2)

This special coverage covers the converters for a period of 12 years or 200,000 mi. which ever comes first. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer regardless of ownership history.

Document ID: 2551149

Needless to say i was pleasantly surprised. I am taking it to a Cadillac Dealer first thing tomorrow. Thought I would pass this along in case someone else may need to know.
    Did you get your cat's replaced? I am getting P0420 and PO430 on my 2005 at 105,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Onalaska View Post
    Did you get your cat's replaced? I am getting P0420 and PO430 on my 2005 at 105,000 miles.
    Bring it into a Cadillac or GM dealer, they'll get replaced free of charge. Personally, I'd take it to an exclusive Cadillac dealer if there's one somewhat close to you. That way you get yourself a sweet loaner while yours is being repaired.
    Past Cadillac's

Quote Originally Posted by curtc

Bring it into a Cadillac or GM dealer, they'll get replaced free of charge. Personally, I'd take it to an exclusive Cadillac dealer if there's one somewhat close to you. That way you get yourself a sweet loaner while yours is being repaired.
    Extended coverage does not quality for loaners. Loaners are provided by the dealers for warranty coverage. Doesn't mean a dealer CAN'T provide one but its not REQUIRED.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post

Extended coverage does not quality for loaners. Loaners are provided by the dealers for warranty coverage. Doesn't mean a dealer CAN'T provide one but its not REQUIRED.
    Well I'd be pretty upset if I brought my Caddy to a dealer for work, paid or not, and wasn't provided a loaner. I had my starter replaced at Key Cadillac under my third party warranty and I drove a 2012 SRX for 2 days, I guess they did me a favor. Granted they have the BEST customer service of any dealer I've EVER dealt with. The car was basically detailed when I picked it up.
    Past Cadillac's

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: 2006 STS Catalytic Converter

Where is Key Cadillac at? I've had basically terrible service everywhere I go... Caddy dealers included...
    It may be a bit longer of a drive but I'm tired of getting econo-box loaners and more importantly the constant run-around of dealers not knowing a damn thing about the STS.

Edit: what is the name of the service advisor you are using? Might make my life easier...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.