2005 STS Nav Touchscreen hosed. Anyone done an audio DOWNGRADE?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1BadCadSTS
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Nav Touchscreen hosed. Anyone done an audio DOWNGRADE? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi STS owners, I have an 05 STS4 with N* and factory Nav. The touchscreen crapped out on me. Radio ...
    burpee is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2005 STS Nav Touchscreen hosed. Anyone done an audio DOWNGRADE?

Hi STS owners,

I have an 05 STS4 with N* and factory Nav. The touchscreen crapped out on me. Radio still works, and I can see the screen, but it does not respond to touch except for one bottom left corner of the screen. I can't set the clock. Can't change driver memory settings. Nothing.

I tried the battery disconnect trick a few times with no luck. I've searched around here and elsewhere but nobody has a quick fix for this other than replacing the unit.
    Ebay shows used factory Nav between $350 - $800. Non nav radios $75 - 150.

Since the factory nav sucks anyway I'm thinking about simply downgrading to a non-nav so I can get my radio and driver settings back.

Thoughts? Anyone else do this?
    Any aftermarket options that will allow me to regain access of the driver settings?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Re: 2005 STS Nav Touchscreen hosed. Anyone done an audio DOWNGRADE?

That last thing you said there is obviously the issue. Being able to mess with the settings without the nav screen. I don't have answers to your questions but I strongly doubt there is anything aftermarket that will allow you to retain the ability to access settings. If there was, it would probably end up being around the price of replacing the nav anyway. If anything you'd possibly be able to switch from the nav setup to the non nav setup but that's probably going to be expensive and complicated. Just replace the nav.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

do you know if you have had the firmware upgrade yet?
    perhaps you could get that done and maybe it will reset the touch screen calibration settings during the reflash.

It sounds to me like you (or someone with access to the car) was in the diagnostics menu and messed with the touchscreen calibrations.
    If that doesn't work it will be very likely that replacing the NAV with an eBay unit will be the most cost effective.
    Unless you don't want to access any of the cars personalization settings again, then go aftermarket.
    Just keep in mind for the seat temp control w/ remote start that setting isn't retained after a battery pull.

Nope. I'm not that clever - or interested - in playing with diag settings. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    It sounds to me like you (or someone with access to the car) was in the diagnostics menu and messed with the touchscreen calibrations.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Setting a your setting on the non nav radio sucks. If you want I have an OEM Nav for 200 bucks. Works fine. GM replaced it for only because when you shut off the car an restart the cd would not pick up from where it left off.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Setting a your setting on the non nav radio sucks. If you want I have an OEM Nav for 200 bucks. Works fine. GM replaced it for only because when you shut off the car an restart the cd would not pick up from where it left off.
    Mine does that too! I just thought it was just the way it was...Not shelling out the dough for something so small though, I just don't care THAT much about it.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by curtc

Mine does that too! I just thought it was just the way it was...Not shelling out the dough for something so small though, I just don't care THAT much about it.
    Yup there's a tsb on it. Aftermarket warranty took care of it.

Settings on the touch screen are pretty bad too.
    I will PM you abt your nav unit.

This guy was able to factory upgrade, so I'm thinking I can probably downgrade. The dealer wants $95/ hr to program a new yq4. I may just take a gamble on a yq1 or yq2 if I can find one cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post

You'll lose Bluetooth and the aux in. And no go play with an sts without touchscreen and modify the settings. The nav is a cake walk to adjust things by comparison. Also if you have magnetic ride there is no way to adjust the suspension setting without nav.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Don't do it!!

james6speed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 STS 1SG ~ '13 Sonic RS Turbo ~ '87 944 Turbo

Sound like there is just too much tied in to this NAV system to make a downgrade a worthwhile choice, especially if you have the FE3 suspension, use Bluetooth and such.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.