Cadillac Owners Forum banner

About to Purchase 2008 STS, Anything I Should Look For or Beware Of?

6K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  cadillacmike68 
#1 ·
I'm about to purchase a 2008 STS V8 4.6L. It has 61,000 miles on it, a clear title and clean CarFax (in fact, the CarFax indicates the the previous owner had it regularly maintained at a local Cadillac dealership). I'm buying it from an independent dealer (not Cadillac). The car has the wood trim and DVD-based Navigation system. The car is very nice and I'm looking forward to owning it.

Is there anything I should look out for?

Also, I'd like to get the build sheet, if possible.

#31 ·
Those are the SAME 17" wheels that my wife's 2005 CTS had. Typical Avis rental fleet purchase. They are all nearly identical. Nice, usually well maintained, and if not abused, very good buys.

#32 ·
Yeah the Cadillac dealer I worked at here would buy mass quantities of the Hertz rental cars and some were quite nice and the others were abused pieces of crap. I'm talking about year old cars with tons of swirls and dings, broken interior trim and disgusting carpets. I was the detail guy so I noticed all the flaws and vowed to never buy a previous rental car. Then I bought my Deville and that kinda changed things lol.

Anyways as far as Seville STS vs STS goes I could never warm up to the RWD model. I mean it handled quite a bit better and was more solid but it lacked the magic ride of the FWD model and the styling is so elegant... something the newer model doesn't pull off. Still a very nice car and much more reliable. Good luck with it!

#39 ·
Basically the wood trim. If you look at the picture The 1SB has the most wood trim. Even the cupholder in the back has it. Around the start button and to the left of the steering wheel around air vent. B19 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE AND IP

----------

Yes, W21 is the platinum model option package. However, not one of the cars in this thread are actually Platinum models. And the Cardomain link is a 2005 model that is posing as a V series model when it is almost the most basic model STS you can get. Not to mention that the V series didn't start with the STS until 2006 Model Year.
Ya I see he even put a V logo on the back of the car. I was only referring to the interior wood trim as u don't see many with that package.

#38 ·
Yes, W21 is the platinum model option package. However, not one of the cars in this thread are actually Platinum models. And the Cardomain link is a 2005 model that is posing as a V series model when it is almost the most basic model STS you can get. Not to mention that the V series didn't start with the STS until 2006 Model Year.

#40 ·
brandon2005 said:
Basically the wood trim. If you look at the picture The 1SB has the most wood trim. Even the cupholder in the back has it. Around the start button and to the left of the steering wheel around air vent. B19 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE AND IP

----------

Ya I see he even put a V logo on the back of the car. I was only referring to the interior wood trim as u don't see many with that package.
ROFL! That's an aftermarket sticker kit. Not even close to OEM.

#42 · (Edited)
brandon2005 said:
B19 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE AND IP
Oem not aftermarket at all that's what it comes with. I just bought my car from an 89 year old lady who bought it brand new, and she definitely wasn't buying any kits. That's what the 1SB comes with. look it up!
My STS has that rpo too so does any STS above a trim level 1SA. All that wood gave you was an ash tray and radio bezel of wood. Additional wood package you could get was a wood wheel and shift nob. 1SF 1SG and 1SC has wood on the door panels.

The wood around the starter button your talking and in the picture you provided about is an aftermarket kit. Google B&I. Period. End of subject. There's a reason why it looks cheap like you can peel it right off because its a STICKER...

Right from my build sheet

B20 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE,IP, SHIFT KNOB, DOOR TRIM AND STRG WHEEL

RPO 1SG

1SG - 1SG PREMIUM LUX PERFORMANCE PKG *PREMIUM TUSCANY LEATHER SEATS *MULTI-DRIVER MEMORY SETTINGS *POWER ADJUSTABLE LUMBAR *HEATED/VENTILATED FRONT SEATS *HEATED REAR OUTBOARD SEATS *HEATED, WOOD STEERING WHEEL *EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE, IP, SHIFT KNOB, DOOR TRIM AND STRG WHEEL *BOSE 5.1 STUDIO SURROUND SOUND WITH IN DASH 6 DISC DVD CHANGER AND ADVANCED DVD NAVIGATION *XM SATELLITE RADIO - OVER 130 CHNLS OF DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT SERVICE FEE EXTRA 1ST 3MO. INC *RAINSENSE WIPERS *HOMELINK GARAGE DOOR OPENER *AUTO DIMMING ISRV MIRROR (REPLACES STD ISRV MIRROR) *HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS *INTELLIBEAM AUTO HIGH BEAM CONTROL *HEADLAMP WASHERS *18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS *MICHELIN P235/50R18 FRONT P255/45R18 REAR W-RATED TIRES *TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR *MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL *EXPRESS OPEN/CLOSE SUNROOF *REAR SPOILER *TRUNK CONVENIENCE NET PERFORMANCE FEATURES: *LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (N/A WITH ALL WHEEL DRIVE) *4-WHL. PERFORMANCE DISC BRAKES WITH ABS *PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE *PREMIUM ZF STEERING GEAR

#43 ·
My STS has that rpo too so does any STS above a trim level 1SA. All that wood gave you was an ash tray and radio bezel of wood. Additional wood package you could get was a wood wheel and shift nob. 1SF 1SG and 1SC has wood on the door panels.

The wood around the starter button your talking and in the picture you provided about is an aftermarket kit. Google B&I. Period. End of subject. There's a reason why it looks cheap like you can peel it right off because its a STICKER...
I'm not going to say anymore. Not a sticker this is factory. Look it up! besides 80 year old woman don't go out and buy kits.

#45 ·
brandon2005 said:
I'm not going to say anymore. Not a sticker this is factory. Look it up! besides 80 year old woman don't go out and buy kits.
Apparently she did.... Or the dealer installed it as an add on. It's a B&I sticker wood kit. No one can be that blind to look at it and not tell its not a sticker on the cup holder on the steering wheel controls etc... What do you think they made the radio and hvac out of wood too?

curtc said:
WINNER!

#46 ·
Apparently she did.... Or the dealer installed it as an add on. It's a B&I sticker wood kit. No one can be that blind to look at it and not tell its not a sticker on the cup holder on the steering wheel controls etc... What do you think they made the radio and hvac out of wood too?

WINNER!
Dealer probably buys them then this is not the only place u can get it. Besides all of the trim is cheap factory or no factory who doesn't know that. None of its real wood trim if that's what you two guys are trying to say.

I'm Winning, if you think you have real wood in your car.

#47 ·
brandon2005 said:
Dealer probably buys them then this is not the only place u can get it. Besides all of the trim is cheap factory or no factory who doesn't know that. None of its real wood trim if that's what you two guys are trying to say.

I'm Winning, if you think you have real wood in your car.
Wrong again kiddo. The wood used in the STS FROM THE FACTORY is real wood.

Realize the fact you're wrong accept it and move on.

#49 ·
brandon2005 said:
Come on its so thin its barely real. It's paper thin veneers over a solid substrate and covered with a heavy protetive clear coat like a polyurethane varnish. To my point its still all cheap. But anything from the stealer, and they will make you pay big bucks.
... point is its still real. More real than thinking a sticker kit is some super rare interior option lol. Give up. Admit your wrong and move on.

#51 ·
brandon2005 said:
Either way, It still came from the dealer with it.
You don't know that. You don't know anything. For all you know the little old lady could of bought it. A few posts ago you insist it's a super rare interior option. Then you list your BASE rpo code as proof. Then you claim there's no real wood in the STS which is wrong. You have no clue about the car you're driving. Now be smart. Go quietly into the night and accept the fact you're wrong. You've been wrong from the start and you haven't provided one bit of actual factual useful information to this thread in the least. Instead you've clogged it up with arrogant ramblings of nonsense and fiction. GOODNIGHT!

#56 ·
They might have changed the wood type from 2005-6 to 7-8. My 09 Platinum has option B18 Oilve Ash wood trim (replaces Sapele wood trim), so there was definitely a change by 2009. It looks pretty much like Jamie's post, but might be a little lighter in color. There's plenty of it in my STS, and my wife's CTS as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.