About to Purchase 2008 STS, Anything I Should Look For or Beware Of? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, About to Purchase 2008 STS, Anything I Should Look For or Beware Of? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by fly187 Have them throw in new lower control arms, you're gonna need them in about 20k miles ...
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by fly187
    Have them throw in new lower control arms, you're gonna need them in about 20k miles
    *Front* lcas.

Alert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS, 2008 SRX V6

Re: About to Purchase 2008 STS, Anything I Should Look For or Beware Of?

Thanks all for your input.

I told the dealership that I'd like my long-time mechanic to inspect the car before I purchased it. I've had him look at every car I purchased for twenty years and I think he's saved me from a few big headaches.

The salesman said "there's really no need but if you insist that's fine, we'll call him, set up a time and bring it to him."

I'll mention the front lower control arms to him.

james6speed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 STS 1SG ~ '13 Sonic RS Turbo ~ '87 944 Turbo

The Salesman should have said "No worries, please feel free to look the car over". I don't know about his response IMO.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The 1 good thing about getting a fleet / rental version of the STS is that you typically get the lower gear ratio final drive to give even better gas mileage at a small sacrifice of performance off the line.

On an unrelated note ...
    James6speed - any plans to try and turbo the STS? (as your other two are turbo'd already)

Not planning on any FI for the car. Maybe that Madtuning. As long as it doesn't hurt drivability and gas mileage, I may go for it. I need to read more about it.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by james6speed View Post
    Maybe that Madtuning. As long as it doesn't hurt drivability and gas mileage, I may go for it. I need to read more about it.
    There are a couple of threads around regarding Madtuner that you'll want to check out.
    1BadCadSTS was effectively the test mule for it so if you have any questions i'm sure he can field some of / all of them if not madtuner directly (he is a member on the site).
    I'd really like to get a tune just to tweak how the transmission behaves... just not sure if madtuner is the best for the 08 STS4 or not.
    There was rumors about him also doing some tuning to the suspension control unit, not sure how far that panned out.

OP did you buy that car?

Not yet.

The dealer is bringing it to my mechanic. I'll proceed after I hear what he has to say.

My mechanic inspected the car and said it's very good. He could find just one item: transmission line is leaking. Dealer said they'll take care of it.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Do a good, long test drive. Tell them you want to take it home to show the wifey... or to see if it'll fit in your garage. If that doesn't make them let you have it for at least a full day, go for the test drive late on Saturday and they'll probably tell you to bring it back Monday morning. Be sure to do a lot of driving with the radio off. Make sure you take it on the highway and "floor it" through the gears to the highest speed you can mentally and financially tolerate.

Check that all the options and accessories work, the seats, the windows, the ash tray, the flashers, all the lights including the peanuts in the headlight capsule... (it would be perfect if you know someone that has an STS) and make yourself a check list of everything you want to check before you drive it, just like they suggest you write down your questions before visiting your doctor. Then put it through the paces. Remember, it's a 6 year old car and after all, it was a rental.

Just because your mechanic checked it doesn't mean you shouldn't do your due diligence. He may have missed something small while looking at the big stuff.

Don't fall in love with the first girl you see. There may be prettier and more desirable girls around the corner. I've been shopping for a STS-V and fell in love with one until my test drive and I took a deeper look. They had cleaned her up and put a lot of make-up on her so she looked really nice but after I test drove her I found out she was a really a nasty, broken piece of crap. Over 12 items had serious issues, serious like no AC, non-functioning outside mirrors, missing air deflectors, 1 rear window was non-functioning, the hood would close unless you slammed the be-jesus out of it, and on and on.

So, that's my MO.

Good luck and happy shopping.

I took it out for a long test drive today and was very pleased with the ride and performance.

I then sat with car for about an hour going over everything I saw and could think of (I had brought some notes). All lights work, including the peanuts. All seats warmers, power windows and outside mirrors work. Radio and CDs play loud and clear. I brought my iPod Touch and my line level-to-RCA jack and connected it to the RCA jacks in the center console and my iPod played loud and clear over the audio system. All speakers work. I couldn't test the Navigation system as the dealer takes the navigation DVDs out of the cars; but they assured me that they have it, they'll give it to me and that it works.

The body is in excellent condition, there's not a ding on it.

Here's what I found:
    Minor: faceplate on backseat ashtray came off. The flip lid on the passenger side visor/vanity mirror is broken and the mirror light doesn't go on. The weather seal strip along the floor of the drivers side door is worn (all other doors are fine).

Oddest of all -- the "STS" logo on the trunk appears to be upside down (looks like it says "SIS").

Major: The drivers side heat won't blow hot. The passengers side will blow hot and/or cold normally. The backseat heat doesn't blow at all. As an STS owner (1999 and previously 1993) I'm all too familiar with replacing "blend door actuators" (in fact, when they brought the car over to the mechanic and showed him the problem with the heat he said out loud and to no one in particular "blend door actuator...").

I brought all this to the attention of the dealership. He was very agreeable to fixing everything before the purchase (he wrote down everything as I pointed them out). I told him that the heating issue was the most serious and that there will be no sale if the heating system was not fully operable by the time of purchase (I also ran the A/C on the passenger side and it blew cold).

If the dealership addresses these issues to my satisfaction, I'll purchase the car.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Excellent! All of that will save you money on repairs down the road! Hope my advise helped.

good luck. off topic. how do I connect my Sony walkman to RCA jack to make it work?

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but to get my iPod to work I hooked it up via the RCA jacks in the center console and selected "Video" on the Nav unit.

Thanks, that is what I was asking. just need the correct cable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.