2008 STS4 V6 Using Oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1BadCadSTS
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 STS4 V6 Using Oil in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm getting worried about my STS4. I have the 3.6 and I do about 85% of highway driving. I go ...
    salvie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4

2008 STS4 V6 Using Oil

I'm getting worried about my STS4. I have the 3.6 and I do about 85% of highway driving. I go between 5-7K miles before changes. I've noticed it's been losing oil...the other day I went to check it because it was getting close to changing it. The dip stick had NO OIL ON IT! I panicked! No oil drips on the garage floor...nothing leaking. Any ideas? Oh, and i dont want to hear about the oil life indicator on the DIC. It's telling me I have 40% oil life. It's on 7000 miles since the last change and nothing is on the dip stick and I have 40% life left...what a joke!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Oil LIFE has nothing to do with oil LOSS. 3.6 oil consumption is a common problem and is well documented. Running it low and long duration between changes (like paying attention to the olm) increase the problem. Install a catch can change to 3-5k mile oil changes and monitor it. Nothing you can do unless you want to tear it down install new valve guides and re-ring and hone the block.

As the saying goes... Coulda had a V8...
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Re: 2008 STS4 V6 Using Oil

There is a modification you can make to the PCV system as well as adding a catch can. There is tons of info about this in the 1st gen CTS forum as it is a VERY common problem with the 3.6L engines.

When I owned my '04 CTS 3.6L I religiously changed the oil every 5k and kept up on the oil level but it still developed timing chain slack, hence the move to the V8 STS...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Good info in the 2 posts above. There is several things going on causing this, and some may improve after installing the catchcan (and not just any one, only a few catch all, or nearly all the oil....most still let a good deal pass through) and doing a good upper induction cleaning.

But a result of the oil ingestion via the intake air charge is the deposits/gumming of the ringlands. This causes the rings to stick and not move freely allowing more oil to be sucked past the rings from the crankcase during the intake stroke. After installing a good can (we manufacture the RX can) and doing an upper induction cleaning, usually these deposits will clean up some and allow the rings to seal properly again.

If you need more details, feel free to PM me.

www.RevXtreme.com
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I thought it was the older (pre-DI) 3.6s that could have oil issues. Same with the newer ones?

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts
    i thought it was the older (pre-di) 3.6s that could have oil issues. Same with the newer ones?
    any 3.6

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

All modern DI engines from most any manufacturer are having issues, the LLT that you have is very common for consumption issues, but not alone. V8's if broken in easy will as well.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Could you explain more? Is there something about DI engines that make them more susceptible to oil consumption?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.