UPDATE: Coolant Smell/Losing Coolant Slowly/No Oil-Sludge in Coolant, No Obvious Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, UPDATE: Coolant Smell/Losing Coolant Slowly/No Oil-Sludge in Coolant, No Obvious Leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Guys I have an odd situation at hand... about a week ago I went out to start my car ...
    tking5830 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6

06 STS 3.6L Coolant Smell, Low Coolant Light on Cold Starts, No Leaks/Loss of coolant

Hey Guys

I have an odd situation at hand...

about a week ago I went out to start my car in the morning and I had a "check coolant level" warning... I drove the car about 50 feet, turned it off, and restarted it... no warning light... so i drove to work

The next morning, same thing. The check coolant level came on during the first start of the day, and then didnt appear again.

The pattern has become very easy to follow... it only shows a low coolant warning on cold starts... its always the first start in the morning, or after the car has been sitting for 7-8 hours when Im at the office.

The car has had a coolant smell since i bought it (about 10 weeks ago)... the car stays at normal operating temperature at all times, the needle doesnt even budge. I have done all sorts of driving with it, including a long 2.5 hour drive up north last weekend... and turned around that night and did the same drive back home, and it didnt overheat at all...

I am not losing coolant, the coolant level is at the same level as when I purchased the car, and I see no leak anywhere under the hood or below the vehicle...

What could be going on? I am super confused

BTW: I have no check engine light, no codes thrown, just a smell of coolant, and a low coolant level on cold starts

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

06WhiteDiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V
    I have been having the exact same issue you describe with my 06 3.6L.

It's happnened three times now and the coolant was slightly low so I simply topped off the coolant reservoir which stopped the light from coming back on.

In your case it may just be the sensor action up which I believe is pretty common, although in my case I actually had to add coolant.

Re: 06 STS 3.6L Coolant Smell, Low Coolant Light on Cold Starts, No Leaks/Loss of coo

I may be losing a very very small amount of coolant, very slowly... but i dont think so to be honest...

The fact that I can smell coolant is what really concerns me

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Yeah, if you smell it, it's coming out somewhere. It only takes a small amount to cause a smell.

Is the level where it should be when cold? Not just where it's been.

Probably a very small leak that doesn't even make it to the ground.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 06 STS 3.6L Coolant Smell, Low Coolant Light on Cold Starts, No Leaks/Loss of coo

If you can''t spot the leak you might try the coolant tabs that used to be SOP in the Northstar V8. You can still get them from NAPA under the BalKamp label.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

UPDATE: Coolant Smell/Losing Coolant Slowly/No Oil-Sludge in Coolant, No Obvious Leak

Hey guys

I am losing coolant very slowly, and I can smell coolant from under my hood.

I have no obvious leaks under the car, and the coolant itself looks perfect (no oil/sludge, perfect color)

I also checked my oil level, it has not raised at all (i read to check if the oil level was rising)

Is it possible I have a very very small coolant leak under the hood (not visible)... and its just not reaching the ground? I searched for a leak under the hood, I couldnt find one...

Everything seems to check out Ok as far as anything serious...
    -coolant looks great
    -oil level isnt rising
    -exhaust pipes smells fine
    -car isnt overheating at all (just drove 300 miles in one day, climbing mountains, etc...)

Could there be a really small leak that I just can't see??

I just posted another thread that gives a brief update... so i am losing coolant, very slowly... and i can smell it for sure... so if it was internal i wouldnt be able to smell it???? I have lost about 1/4-1/2 inch over about 10 weeks

----------

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    If you can''t spot the leak you might try the coolant tabs that used to be SOP in the Northstar V8. You can still get them from NAPA under the BalKamp label.
    what exactly are coolant tabs? not familiar with them, and i used to own a northstar from the early 2000's... i thought i knew of everything for those things LOL

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: UPDATE: Coolant Smell/Losing Coolant Slowly/No Oil-Sludge in Coolant, No Obvious

Multiple posts on the same subject are highly frowned upon.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Re: UPDATE: Coolant Smell/Losing Coolant Slowly/No Oil-Sludge in Coolant, No Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Multiple posts on the same subject are highly frowned upon.

I know, I was trying to edit my original post but i couldnt figure out how to do it... and in the first post i said i wasnt losing coolant, and turns out I am losing coolant, just very slowly. Sorry Binky Bear ;-)

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by tking5830 View Post
    Hey guys

I am losing coolant very slowly, and I can smell coolant from under my hood.

I have no obvious leaks under the car, and the coolant itself looks perfect (no oil/sludge, perfect color)

I also checked my oil level, it has not raised at all (i read to check if the oil level was rising)

Is it possible I have a very very small coolant leak under the hood (not visible)... and its just not reaching the ground? I searched for a leak under the hood, I couldnt find one...

Everything seems to check out Ok as far as anything serious...
    -coolant looks great
    -oil level isnt rising
    -exhaust pipes smells fine
    -car isnt overheating at all (just drove 300 miles in one day, climbing mountains, etc...)

Could there be a really small leak that I just can't see??
    Hello tking5830,

I am sorry to hear that you are leaking a small amount of coolant in your STS. If you are interested in taking your STS to the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up that appointment and working with them to look into this concern. Please feel free to private message me if you would like my assistance. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteDiamond View Post
    I have been having the exact same issue you describe with my 06 3.6L.

It's happnened three times now and the coolant was slightly low so I simply topped off the coolant reservoir which stopped the light from coming back on.

In your case it may just be the sensor action up which I believe is pretty common, although in my case I actually had to add coolant.
    Hello 06WhiteDiamond,

I apologize that you are experiencing a similar issue with your STS as well. If you would like any assistance from the dealership to look into this concern, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message so we can further discuss this concern. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

B1n2fra is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    I had the same issue with my northstar. It turned out to be my water pump. Was leaking very slowly and burning off before it hit the ground. You should go to a shop and have them pressure test the system to find any leaks. That what I did to find my leak. Mines was leaking slowly at first so I sat on it thinking I had some time to fix it until one day it just started leaking like a water fountain and I was almost stuck downtown Chicago. So check it out asap

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    :thumbup:

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by B1n2fra View Post
    I had the same issue with my northstar. It turned out to be my water pump. Was leaking very slowly and burning off before it hit the ground. You should go to a shop and have them pressure test the system to find any leaks. That what I did to find my leak. Mines was leaking slowly at first so I sat on it thinking I had some time to fix it until one day it just started leaking like a water fountain and I was almost stuck downtown Chicago. So check it out asap
    Hello B1n2fra,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I hope your advice helps if they are experiencing the same issue you were. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message if you experience any further concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

A water pump failure is not all that rare. Models with the V03 Performance Cooling Package have 2 water pumps.

I had one replaced under warranty but paid for flush & fill because air & Dexcool aren't friends.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    You might be parking the car on an angle at night then in the am you get the message? At least that's what mine does when I park on an angle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.