Air vent problems.
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Air vent problems. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have noticed that since it has gotten cold outside that when i turn my heat on high and manually ...
  1. #1
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107

    Air vent problems.

    I have noticed that since it has gotten cold outside that when i turn my heat on high and manually turn the fan all the way up and have it set on just the vents at eye level that the two driver side ones are significantly lower temperature then the passenger side. Its to a point where i close the ones on my side and open the other two towards me because it gets really cold. Its like the warm air isnt getting to my side for some reason.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    91

    Re: Air vent problems.

    It's the mix actuator for your side. I had the same exact problem a few weeks ago, and it's still not totally fixed. If you pull the lower dash panel off under the steering wheel, and the black plastic panel that continues forward to the firewall, you will have access to the actuator. I think there are two visible from the driver's side, and one of them is for the rear seat controls. Just lay under there and move the rear control temperature and mode switches to identify which is which. You may be able to simply start by moving the temp knob on your side from 60 to 90 and look for the one trying to move. If it's like mine, it will be completely jammed. I had to pry out on the arm pretty hard, heard a "pop", and it suddenly started working. Unfortunately, although I now have hot and cold, I have no intermediate adjustment. At about 81 degrees, it will shift from completely cold to completely hot. Good luck.

  4. #3
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107

    Re: Air vent problems.

    I just went out and looked at it and both of the ones under the steering wheel moved fine with moving the front and rear knobs. So that part appears to be working. Any other thoughts.

  5. #4
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    91

    Re: Air vent problems.

    I'm willing to bet it's still related to the actuator. Are you sure it has a full range of movement? Do you have ANY perceptible change in temperature when going from 60 to 90 while in manual fan speed mode? I mention manual fan speed because (I believe) the threshold for the actuator is dynamic when in auto mode, where in manual it should always allow a full range of motion.

  6. #5
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107

    Re: Air vent problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by mkosharkii View Post
    I'm willing to bet it's still related to the actuator. Are you sure it has a full range of movement? Do you have ANY perceptible change in temperature when going from 60 to 90 while in manual fan speed mode? I mention manual fan speed because (I believe) the threshold for the actuator is dynamic when in auto mode, where in manual it should always allow a full range of motion.
    Im not sure what the heck is going on with it. Like yesterday it was only the vent to the right of the steering wheel that had cold air. the others were hot. Then after about an hour of driving i turned it to 80 and it had warm air coming out again. but then this morning it was back to both on the left not blowing hot air. But yes the actuators are moving freely and completely.

  7. #6
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107

    Re: Air vent problems.

    Ok so an update on this. Hopefully someone on here can help me out with what to try next.

    I got under the dash after taking everything off and the actuator moves completely freely to all three positions and is connected properly. But just for S&G i went ahead and bought a new one to see if something weird was going on. (BTW it is a PITA to change) So low and behold the new one didnt fix the problem.

    So basically the whole drivers side of the car in the front doesn't get hot. That is including the windshield defrost, dash, and floor vents. The right side all works correctly and the back works properly.

    So can anyone here help me out with what might be the issue that i can resolve it?

    Thank You. (Yes i took it to the dealer and all they said was that it needed the actuator changed which i already did with no fix)

  8. #7
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,638
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfur7
    Ok so an update on this. Hopefully someone on here can help me out with what to try next.

    I got under the dash after taking everything off and the actuator moves completely freely to all three positions and is connected properly. But just for S&G i went ahead and bought a new one to see if something weird was going on. (BTW it is a PITA to change) So low and behold the new one didnt fix the problem.

    So basically the whole drivers side of the car in the front doesn't get hot. That is including the windshield defrost, dash, and floor vents. The right side all works correctly and the back works properly.

    So can anyone here help me out with what might be the issue that i can resolve it?

    Thank You. (Yes i took it to the dealer and all they said was that it needed the actuator changed which i already did with no fix)
    Are you sure you changed the RIGHT one?

  9. #8
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107

    Re: Air vent problems.

    Absolutely sure. Its the only one that moves when you change the front temperature. The other one moves when you change the rear temperature.

  10. #9
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,638
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfur7
    Absolutely sure. Its the only one that moves when you change the front temperature. The other one moves when you change the rear temperature.
    There's more than 2 actuators on these cars. There's 5 I believe.

  11. #10
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107
    Anybody else know. I only seen the two on the drivers side. One of them moves when you change the rear termp and the other moves when you change the front temp.

  12. #11
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,638
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfur7
    Anybody else know. I only seen the two on the drivers side. One of them moves when you change the rear termp and the other moves when you change the front temp.
    Pass side. There's one down low and the other one requires removing the whole dash to replace.

  13. #12
    shortfur7's Avatar
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    107
    What do those two control? I looked at the parts fiche and coudnt find them but I did find a actuator that looks like its under the hood right by the cabin filter

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting