Bad battery?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AllWheelEric
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Bad battery? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Over the weekend I killed my battery with the radio(battery is 22 months old). Ever since I got the car ...
    DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL

Bad battery?

Over the weekend I killed my battery with the radio(battery is 22 months old). Ever since I got the car running again it makes weird noise in the dash(kind of sounds like actuators) but the real problem I have is...I can fully charge the battery and the car will start but if I leave it sitting for around 2 hours the car will not start like the battery has died. Has anybody experienced this and if so what was the fix?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Bad battery?

Do a load test on the battery with a battery load tester. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...690_0006384105
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    Do a load test on the battery with a battery load tester. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...690_0006384105
    I took the battery into autozone and it tested bad so they replaced it. Everything is working fine at this point but I'm worried that something was causing the draw on it, do you know how many amps the car draws when it's turned off?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

It varies. I think there was an engineer from the original design team that was a member back in the early years who posted details. I think it was around 200 mA for the first few hours and then it tapered off after awhile by scanning for fobs less frequently, lowering sampling rates and otherwise conserving power.

streamofthought is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS

I had the exact same problem about a month ago. I took the battery to Autozone and they ran the test and said that my battery was good. They ran a test with the battery inside the car and the test came back that the battery was charging, but the battery continued to die over the next couple of days. I took it to a dealership, got charged $300 for a check and battery replacement...not happy. I was told by the mechanic that if my voltage falls beneath 14 then that's a problem. Currently, my battery has been reading in the 13s so I'm afraid that there's a larger issue at hand.

AllWheelEric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by streamofthought View Post
    I was told by the mechanic that if my voltage falls beneath 14 then that's a problem. Currently, my battery has been reading in the 13s so I'm afraid that there's a larger issue at hand.
    Your mechanic is the problem. That's normal.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The charging system in the STS is more advanced than the typical car.
    You should expect to see this fluctuate.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Yes, some people don't seem to understand that the charging system backs off the voltage when the battery is charged. Otherwise the battery will be overcharged and boil over.

You should see a higher voltage when you first start driving and then it will lower after you drive for a while. I like having the volt meter on the DIC, but so many people misinterpret what they see.

You might see it run as low as 12.something sometimes and that is totally normal.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

yes...dropping down to 12.8 or 12.9 volts is pretty normal...has something to do with the "Electrical Power Management (EPM)"...have a look here...:

Post #6 :
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-13-0-a.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.