Headlight Condensation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Headlight Condensation in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Several weeks ago we got a few days of rain which left moisture in both of my headlights. Since then ...
    dnett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, N*, 1SF

Headlight Condensation

Several weeks ago we got a few days of rain which left moisture in both of my headlights. Since then one of the lights dried out while the other retained the water. So yesterday I went to the trouble of trying to dry the one out and to silicon both of them to (hopefully!) prevent it from happening again. Doing this, I noticed that the headlight that had dried out had two weep holes - one facing forward and the other facing down - both on the side of the light towards the center of the car. The other headlight did not have these holes.

Was this assembly with the holes a replacement light? The holes don't look like they were drilled by the previous owner - look to be factory drilled.

The car is an '06 N* that I bought 10 months ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    They have vents not holes. If there's a hole someone drilled or poked them.

Re: Headlight Condensation

That's the thing - only one of them had the vents and it dried out on its own. The one without the vents held the moisture in.

They all have vents. They are on the back of te assembly. The holes you speak of are not oem.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Both your lights will have vents. If the black vent tube with the 90 bend is missing, look for a D shaped hole on the back/ top of the head light.
    My driver side light had this problem after driving in a heavy rain. Just wouldn't dry out. When I went to replace the small bulb in the corner, I noticed that the gasket was not put back in properly by the last person who changed it.
    What I also noticed was that it was more than just moisture on the inside lens. The assembly had about an inch of water sitting at the bottom that cant be seen from the lens.
    I blew as much of it out as I could with the compressor and put the gasket back in to make a good seal. Took about a week but it is now dry. I have driven in heavy rain since then and it is still dry.

Both of mine had the vents in the back with the 90 degree elbow. The holes I'm talking about are on the front. One is thru the clear front cover in the corner below the small peanut bulb. The other is in the bottom of the unit right in the same area. I'm guessing this assembly is aftermarket, not OEM?

Again someone added those. There is no aftermarket option for these lamps and oem does not have them!

OK, thanks. Didn't know there is no aftermarket option. Whoever did it did a good job - and it works. That headlight dried out. But, of course the holes could have let the moisture in to begin with. If my silicon work doesn't fix my problem I might consider doing the same thing on the other side versus having to remove the front bumper again.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

I was real close to drilling a hole in mine until I noticed the gasket on the side cover was not in properly.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    I bought one off eBay a while back to use for dissection. It was from a 2005 w/ HIDs it had about a dozen 1/16th inch holes drilled in the lens cover.
    Whoever did that made a poor decision.

james6speed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 STS 1SG ~ '13 Sonic RS Turbo ~ '87 944 Turbo

Okay, I have a lot of condensation in my pass. headlight. I have seen the video on how to replace headlights on youtube. The thing I noticed is it appears the light assembly has some sort of clips at the top front.

Does this mean the headlight assembly itself is two different chambers front and rear? If so, can the front portion be removed once the headlight is removed... I have a trick up my sleeve if it does... even better if there is a gasket around the front portion if it can be removed.

Does anyone have any pictures of the headlight and the front section if it's removable? Any advice?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.