Coolant flush and change...Would you?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Coolant flush and change...Would you? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2006 STS V8 Northstar. I want to get the coolant changed. Can a Sears Automotive or any ...
    golfin0304 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006sts v8

Coolant flush and change...Would you?

I have a 2006 STS V8 Northstar. I want to get the coolant changed. Can a Sears Automotive or any other car repair shop do it or should I take it to the Caddy dealership?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Re: Coolant flush and change...Would you?

It all depends. If the price difference was marginal, I'd take it to the Dealership.

Even if the cost for the service was greatly different, sometimes "ya get what ya pay for!"

In the nearly four years I've owned my sts, only the dealership has serviced it. With that said, at one point in time, the dealership was my last choice.

Sometimes..... things change.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I just had mine done at a dealership yesterday. They add a cleaning additive, bring the car to temp and then do the flush (I'm now good to a measured -48 degrees Celsius). I'm not sure if this is standard at all shops. I know some just drain as much as they can, refill it and call it good. Like malatu says, often "ya get what ya pay for!".

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Your coolant flush will most likely be done by an apprentice or part timer anyways.
    And it is standard procedure to f&f the way ddalder said.
    Only way you would see me at dealership is if I am visiting a friend that works there to borrow some of his tools.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Some tasks are certainly put on the plates of less experienced and/or apprentice technicians, but I do think it's possible to get both very good and very bad service at dealerships and small private shops alike. I was directly involved in a case at a small shop that did some brake work. They replaced an 'O' ring in a brake line, but only had a replacement that was very close but not exact. The technician, most definitely not junior felt it would work. Fortunately, the vehicle did eventually come to a complete stop on the highway without any impact once that 'O' ring blew out, along with much of the brake fluid. This same shop that "specializes" in electrical work has seen vehicles repeatedly return because repairs were not completed correctly (cases I was directly involved with). Since moving service to a dealership, repeat visits for work completed incorrectly are almost non-existent. Having said this, I have had some disaster experiences with my own vehicles at some dealerships.

I have found that developing a good relationship with one service writer and appropriately but clearly outlining expectations have helped a great deal. Service writers take the brunt of grief from disgruntled customers. I've found that if you develop this relationship, they have some ability to make sure your car will go to someone who won't cause you to come back at them in an unhappy state of mind. Also, don't take in a disgusting pile of junk. No one likes to work on these. If a car is clean, tidy and generally well maintained, this will show the technician the owner is conscientious, cares and is likely to be very aware of questionable work. I get that we are the "customer", but if the customer doesn't care, often the technician won't either.

The clear benefit of a dealership is that they have access to resources that other shops don't readily have. Much of the time this isn't an issue, but with many of the more technical problems in advanced vehicles on the road now, this becomes very important.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Some tasks are certainly put on the plates of less experienced and/or apprentice technicians, but I do think it's possible to get both very good and very bad service at dealerships and small private shops alike. I was directly involved in a case at a small shop that did some brake work. They replaced an 'O' ring in a brake line, but only had a replacement that was very close but not exact. The technician, most definitely not junior felt it would work. Fortunately, the vehicle did eventually come to a complete stop on the highway without any impact once that 'O' ring blew out, along with much of the brake fluid. This same shop that "specializes" in electrical work has seen vehicles repeatedly return because repairs were not completed correctly (cases I was directly involved with). Since moving service to a dealership, repeat visits for work completed incorrectly are almost non-existent. Having said this, I have had some disaster experiences with my own vehicles at some dealerships.

I have found that developing a good relationship with one service writer and appropriately but clearly outlining expectations have helped a great deal. Service writers take the brunt of grief from disgruntled customers. I've found that if you develop this relationship, they have some ability to make sure your car will go to someone who won't cause you to come back at them in an unhappy state of mind. Also, don't take in a disgusting pile of junk. No one likes to work on these. If a car is clean, tidy and generally well maintained, this will show the technician the owner is conscientious, cares and is likely to be very aware of questionable work. I get that we are the "customer", but if the customer doesn't care, often the technician won't either.

The clear benefit of a dealership is that they have access to resources that other shops don't readily have. Much of the time this isn't an issue, but with many of the more technical problems in advanced vehicles on the road now, this becomes very important.

Well said

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Fun fact: -40F = -40C

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Sears did coolant flush few years back to my Deville, they use "green" coolant not Dexcool, I personally prefer Dexcool, and I know I know what they say "only fool use dexcool" but I prefer junk that can be flushed vs acid that eats my radiator/otherparts.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

I've read that the Dexcool issue was solved as they tweaked the contents of the fluid. Of course ya can't believe everything you read, though its a good start!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There never was an issue with DEX-COOL. It doesn't, and never has caused any issue, in any cooling system, in any car..... Ever. there are plenty of myths, there is NO truth to them. The only difference is that it's silicate free.

That said, there's nothing special about it, and no reason whatsoever that GM vehicles NEED to use it.

Drain it and use "the green stuff" if you'd like. Just use one that states it's mixable with DEX, so there's no chance it will react with whatever's left after draining.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k
    Contents in fluid and the materials used in the gaskets. I've always used Dex, never had an issue.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    There never was an issue with DEX-COOL. It doesn't, and never has caused any issue, in any cooling system, in any car..... Ever. there are plenty of myths, there is NO truth to them. The only difference is that it's silicate free.

That said, there's nothing special about it, and no reason whatsoever that GM vehicles NEED to use it.

Drain it and use "the green stuff" if you'd like. Just use one that states it's mixable with DEX, so there's no chance it will react with whatever's left after draining.
    Yup, I've had 12 GM vehicles that came with and ran with Dexcool (started in 94), not a problem in a single one and I did my own coolant flushes with them so I'd seen the inside of every cooling system. The only problem I'd ever heard of that was verified was by my GM mechanic friend. He did work on one system that experienced the gunking up of the system and passages but that was on a vehicle that had a long term cooling leak where air was continuously introduced into the system when the vehicle cooled down.

From what I remember the switch to the new Dexcool was to create an extended change interval of 5 years versus 2 years with the green stuff.

As to the original poster's question about dealership versus someone else it all depends on the complexity of the work being performed. I don't mind using an independent unless there are special procedures that I worry they may be unfamiliar with. For instance, if there is a special drain, refill, and air bleeding procedure and they probably haven't seen many of (more Chevy Malibus out there than Caddy STSs) then I go to the dealer if I can't get to it myself.

The original point of DEX was indeed for it to be a long life coolant. However, many green coolants are rated for the same 5 years/100K miles, even 10 years ago this was true.

AND, regardless of what the bottle says, 5 years is a lot to ask of any coolant. Most would recommend a drain and fill every 2-3 years. And a flush is not necessary. The point of changing the coolant is to replenish the anticorrosive additives. A drain and fill served that purpose just fine, even if draining leaves a small amount of old fluid in the system.
    mjcaddy and Guy.Seminerio like this.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

Change it yourself. Its easy and if your car was in need it will run better. Prestone rad cleaner and a good radio and stopwatch is all you need

Changing the coolant will NOT make the engine run any better.

Coolant system cleaner is only needed in SEVERELY neglected systems. And in the case of aluminum engines, pretty much never. There's no chance of rust forming sludge and coating anything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.