2005 STS with AWD and MRC Shock Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS with AWD and MRC Shock Replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I thought I'd start a new thread as there isn't much on this that I could find... My shocks are ...
    stevenriz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8 1SG

2005 STS with AWD and MRC Shock Replacement

I thought I'd start a new thread as there isn't much on this that I could find...

My shocks are leaking, more in the rear. I see drops all over the wheels. Are the rears difficult for an amateur to install? What is the procedure? Jack it up enough to drop the wheels just enough to take pressure off the shock itself and then R&R... ? Does anyone know torque specifications? I will ask a friend that works at the local Ford dealer and hope he is able to assist...

Any help would be appreciated. I need to determine if this heap is worth keeping up. Barely a mark on it so I'd like to think so but don't want it to become a money pit more than it already is...

thanks all!
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

Re: 2005 STS with AWD and MRC Shock Replacement

An 8 year old $60,000 luxury car won't be cheap to maintain unfortunately. I dumped thousands into my 2001 STS in the 5+ years I owned her from 2006-2011, sold her with 233k on the clock.

If you like the car she's worth keeping up on, that is, IF you can afford it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some answers for you, I don't have any experience replacing shocks/struts so not sure what is all involved.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Hey all. Here is an update... The dealer just told me all 4 shocks are leaking and the compressor is gone because the air bags (I don't know what you call them) do not hold air anymore. I asked them if the compressor and the air bags are a single unit. She wasn't sure if the MRC shocks had the air reservoir within them or the air suspension was a separate part. Does anyone know here? I will know more what I need when the dealer calls me back and what parts I need. I can then make a better decision on what to do... Repair or replace. I am also thinking that if I replace, I will just get maybe a 2013 LTZ Lumina (I know I know, no comparison WHATSOEVER but it is a roomy comfy car) and pay off a few bills then when debt free, get another Caddy...

They still make Lumina's, do you mean Impala? Cannot repair leaking MRC shocks, they need to be replaced....As far as the self leveling in the rear is concerned, the air bladders are built into the rear shocks and the compressor is a separate piece.
    Past Cadillac's

yes I meant Impala sorry. I had a 1998 Lumina LTZ and was reminising haha...

That is good, well, better news the shock actually contains the air bladders within. Question. Would I get a message saying the compressor or something is bad? I hear is, well I used to hear it each time I started the car. I will check next time I start and walk to the back and wait. It used to run for a few seconds.

Thanks CURTC

You won't get a message for leaky air bladders, I would think you'd get a trouble code for a compressor that's shot though. It should run after you start the car for a few seconds. You can also test it by starting the car and then opening the trunk and sitting on the lip. After a bit the compressor should kick in and raise the rear to compensate for the added weight. If you feel it start to go back down the bladder's are most definitely leaking.
    Past Cadillac's

will do. thanks man!

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

I'm thinking replacing the shocks is going to be a lot cheaper than buying a new car.

What if the car doesn't raise up in the first place? That could be a bigger leak. Bad compressor too, but we're assuming the car would tell him if the compressor was bad.

good point Guy. Just spoke with the dealer. $5320 for 4 shocks, compressor and alignment. I will weigh that with a local repair guy if I buy the parts from Rippy or Rock against the Impala... UGH!

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    Rear shocks are easy to replace. I've replace mine in about thirty mins in my drive way. Two screws in the trunk and one big long bolt at the bottom. Remove the air hose and off it comes

hm that's pretty cool. Do you have to jack the car up or anything or just do it on the ground? I suppose jack it up enough to get underneath. I also need a compressor. Is that easy to get to?

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    You can do it on the ground but jacking it up and taking the tire off just makes it easier. Plus when removing the shock of the car is on the ground you would have to compress the shock a little more to remove it and to compress it takes a lot of strength. So like I said jacking it up makes it easier

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by stevenriz View Post
    good point Guy. Just spoke with the dealer. $5320 for 4 shocks, compressor and alignment. I will weigh that with a local repair guy if I buy the parts from Rippy or Rock against the Impala... UGH!
    YIKES!!

how many miles are on the car?

I have a 2005 V8 AWD 1SG as well...and I think I might want to have an exit strategy for it if there is a general mileage point where this is typical

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.