HELP Remove Rear Wheel Bearings 2005 STS V8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, HELP Remove Rear Wheel Bearings 2005 STS V8 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Group - Hi all. I hope someone can help me as I have done extensive searching and have yet to ...
    bigbillsfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

HELP Remove Rear Wheel Bearings 2005 STS V8

Group -

Hi all. I hope someone can help me as I have done extensive searching and have yet to find the answer to this question. I have a 2005 Cadillac STS with the V8 Engine. My rear wheel bearings are bad and I am trying to replace them. The problem I am running into is that I cannot get any type of wrench or socket around the big CV housing and onto any of the 3 Bearing holding bolts. I removed the ball joint nut/bolt, but that only helped a little bit. I have seen this question posted a couple of times on this board, but I have been unable to find any definitive answers. Most of the responses pointed to the CTS version, which appears to be much easier to remove than the STS version (figures). It almost appears that I have to remove the entire wheel housing.. and I even tried that except I could not get the Sway Bar link off... Hopefully somebody has done this on an STS before and wouldn't mind providing some guidance to me. If not, does anyone know of anybody who has the Service Manual for this car. The only STS Service Manual I can find is a 2007/2008 Manual on EBay

Thanks so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: HELP Remove Rear Wheel Bearings 2005 STS V8

Some members think highly of Alldata. When I had a bad rear bearing, the dealer replace the hub assembly. The part lists for around $300 and I'll bet Chris at Rippy's would get it to you for less, GM warranty & all.

Bump.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

36mm iirc

----------

oh the 3 bolts holding it. put car in neutral and rotate it and youll be able to. i caught hell with them but got em out

Thanks so much. I am going back to try this again in a few weeks

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

no problem.

walkieman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Were you able to take off the hub on your 05 STS? How did you get to the bolts that hold the hub on? Did you have to take of the CV boot? I can see how to rotate it, but that just rotates the CV and does not help to get to the bottom hub bolt.

Oh, it is so close to being off!! I may have to remove the CV... please let me know if you figured it out! Thanks!

mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    I just did my left rear. I have the 5 lug hubs.
    Top two bolts were easy. Bottom was relatively easy as well, and I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a standard depth socket and a 10" wobble extension. The ratchet head was sort of cradled by the lip on the bottom edge of the lower control arm (LCA), which actually made it more stable and easy to turn.
    Come to think if it, I used a 1/2" drive socket and wobble extension when I had to torque the new hub down, and had no difficulty there either. The wobble extension may be the key here.
    The only problem I ran in to during the whole process was disconnecting the upper control arm (UCA) from the knuckle to access the hub bolt it blocks. The remedy (for me) was putting a second jack under the LCA just outside of the spring seat and lifting it up a bit. You should be able to find a sweet spot that relieves the lateral pressure and allows you to tap the UCA up and out.
    Feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions.
    Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

P.S.
    I recommend you get a Timken hub if you don't want to do this one again in the near future. Don't buy the cheapest one on eBay.

scotty2109 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

If you haven't completed the job yet and are still struggling, here is how I did it.
    I did the rear drivers side the weekend, now I have replaced all 4.

with the car on a jack stand.............

remove 36mm axle nut

give axle a couple soft taps with hammer till you see it more (SOFT TAPS)

remove caliper and set it aside (no need to disconnect the brake line), I remove the pads and slip it onto one of the sway links.
    remove rotor
    remove hand brake pad (that one is going to be a pain to get back on, it was the longest part for me. that damn spring...........)

remove all handbrake bits from dust shield. (this is so you can at least see that pesky bottom bolt)

put a jack under the lower control arm just under the spring.
    jack it up just a touch to take the load off the knuckle.
    make sure that the jack is secure and you don't hit it while working. that spring is extremely strong and you really don't want it coming out at you because the jack fell.
    remove the lower control arm bold that is holding the knuckle.

grab the knuckle and pull it out just enough to slip the bolt back into the hole on the lower control arm so it is behind the knuckle. this is so the knuckle does not slip back into place while you are working,

reach behind and grip the CV axle and push away from you while softly taping the nut side with a hammer.
    once it stops moving you are good to go with the hub!!!!!

now you should have enough room to remove the 3 hub bolts 18mm easily.

when putting it back together
    18mm bolts for the hub at 96 ftlbs
    36mm axle bolt is 118 ftlbs

maybe someone here can give an easy way to putting back the handbrake pad, that damn spring is a pain. lots of fiddling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.