Where the bleep is the NAV fuse??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carter's_sts
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Where the bleep is the NAV fuse?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well unfortunately my problem below has started again......depressing. It was fine for quite a while. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d.php?t=345137 It must be that ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Where the bleep is the NAV fuse??

Well unfortunately my problem below has started again......depressing. It was fine for quite a while.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d.php?t=345137

It must be that the NAV has gotten more flaky because the battery is not bad and it's too new.

I do still believe the problem happens when the voltage drops while the car is cranking and the NAV is booting. It only happens sometimes, but is such a pain when it does, because the only way to fix it is to remove power from the NAV and cause a clean boot.

If I knew what fuse to pull I wouldn't have to disconnect the battery, but I see nothing in the manual that shows which fuse is for the NAV main power. Anyone know?

I think I have a workaround. I turn on accessory before starting the car, let the NAV boot up, then start the car. The screen goes off briefly, but comes right back on. It doesn't do a full boot. So it is not trying to boot while the car is cranking.

What a stupid problem that will need a better long term fix.

Hopefully it's not my lockpick, but I don't think so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Where the bleep is the NAV fuse??

Power for the radio is supplied by a 10A fuse in the right rear fuse block and is labelled "RADIO/ONSTAR". The amplifier power is supplied by a 30A fuse in the left rear fuse block labelled "AMP". Whether you have the standard radio, or navigation radio, the fuse is the same.

Thanks D. So I should be able to pull the fuse under the hood that supplies the power to the back right fuse block and that's at least a little easier than disconnecting the battery.

I thought about putting in a switch that would let me cycle the power when the problem happens, but that's pretty lame. So I ordered a new NAV from eBay.

Hopefully I got the right one. There are a bunch of part numbers on eBay, but I matched it with a part number from a parts Web site that said it was for the 05-07. The eBay people seem to just make up which years they will work with.

Do you know if it's brand new, will the dealer still have to unlock the VIN? Also I don't know if it will need the firmware update. I hope those guys still have those discs.

I'll have to look at the schematics, but I'm quite certain there are no "Master" fuses under hood to supply each of the rear fuse blocks. I'm pretty sure you are going to have to lift the seat and pull the fuse for the radio.

As for the navigation radio, if it is new and has never been installed in a vehicle, you should not need to have it unlocked. I have only ever had to unlock radios that were purchased used from an auto wrecker or eBay. New ones have never been a problem. If you matched the part number with the one you have, you should be fine. As you said, there's no guarantee that the firmware upgrade will have been done.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    I'll have to look at the schematics, but I'm quite certain there are no "Master" fuses under hood to supply each of the rear fuse blocks. I'm pretty sure you are going to have to lift the seat and pull the fuse for the radio.
    Underhood Fuse Block...well...there are 4 fuses...:
    Fuses "R REAR" (Passenger’s Side Rear Fuse Block) x2 and "L REAR" (Driver’s Side Rear Fuse Block) x2

PDF Owner Manual 2006 STS, page 5-106 to 5-109 (here: 106 and 107)

Very good, I did not know that. I haven't seen this type of architecture in other GM vehicles I've been exposed to with multiple electrical centers.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'd still suspect a weak battery before a bad Nav. Type 101 Delco's are notorious.

Did you ever try the reset procedure by disconnecting the battery cables & touching them together?

Yes, and it did it again. I think we are both right. I think the battery has aged a little and the voltage is dropping a little lower during cranking, but I also think the NAV unit is hyper-sensitive to the voltage drop, which I think now is just normal.

I have been testing the battery (just in the car), monitoring the voltage and starting it a bunch of times, leaving the lights on for a while, etc.. I get no indication that the battery is bad. My old one was for sure, but this one is practically brand new.

Anyway, I'm getting a new NAV shipped. If it ends up not being that, I guess I'll have a NAV for sale for cheap.....ha ha.

Neither of the navigation radios I've had in my car ever acted up, even when I had a poor battery and had to charge it before the car would start. Your radio may be a little sensitive, but I'm not really convinced this is a battery issue. I guess time will tell...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Call it an exercise; name all the things that might cause increased voltage drop when starting:

1. Battery
    2. Any loose or corroded connections in the high-current loop
    3. Starter & its mechanical alignment to minimize drag
    4. Starter relay/solinoid
    5. Other?

True. The problem is I don't really know for sure if there is now an increased voltage drop during cranking or if the NAV issue just progressed to a worse state.

All I really know is that it's highly intermittent and highly annoying. I'll update the thread as I progress. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow (coincidentally) for them to see if they can see the dye they put in the oil leaking out.

I think I'll take the lockpick out and tell them about the problem. I'm sure that's the first thing they would want to try anyway.

Then if it doesn't happen for them, I'll leave out the lockpick and see what happens. I suspect it still will happen, but only one way to prove it.

So I decided to take the more methodical approach. I cancelled my purchase of a new NAV and took out the Lockpick today. Now I'm going to see if it fails with the Lockpick out. I should eliminate that first.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.