Throttle Body Cleaning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Throttle Body Cleaning in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just spraying some stuff, or wrapping a rag around my finger and opening the Throttle and wiping it from the ...
    Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Cool Throttle Body Cleaning

Just spraying some stuff, or wrapping a rag around my finger and opening the Throttle and wiping it from the outside, does NOT seem professional, I have NEVER done one, but have done carburetors. Should I pull it and clean it, will Anti Freeze come out ? Do I need a New gasket, and/or gasket sealer ? Is there help for a Throttle Body dummy ? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: Throttle Body Cleaning

I frequent another forum for my Saab 9-7x, think Envoy or Trailblazer, and the recommendation is to remove the throttle body to clean and disconnect the battery for
    a couple of hours to relearn throttle position. Seems the PCM compensates as the throttle body acquires crud. The throttle body is usually dirtier on the back side. I have no idea if this is the same procedure with our Cadillacs.

Doug

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

This does make sense. It also makes sense to do it regularly, even if one uses Top Tier fuel and Techron once in a while. If there is any contact between the throttle plate & body at all, deposits seem more likely to act as an abrasive than a lubricant. Once a groove forms, anything short of a new throttle body is a hack.

There was a point with my 2006 that the throttle seemed a bit touchy when leaving a stop. I'd either launch or leave slower than intended and then have a bit of a surge. After a TB cleaning, I had a lot better control and with the TCM programming in the 1SG, throttle control is big part of driving fun.

Actually, I'm overdue!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I must be the lucky one. My '06 STS AWD V8 has about 60k miles and the throttle body is still as slick and clean as the day the car was delivered. I've had it apart several times for other projects and have never found deposits of any kind in or around the throttle body or intake system.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

So If i Pull it, is there Coolant that runs thru it, Do I need a NEW gasket ?
    Appreciate you help. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.