Power Steering
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Power Steering in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; power steering goes out, does not work at idle. I take off or rev up rpm's while parked works just ...
    JAYRAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS V8

Power Steering

power steering goes out, does not work at idle. I take off or rev up rpm's while parked works just fine. pump going out? no
    whining noises, no leaks. Is there a filter? fluid was dark color, siphoned out from reservoir and filled it up until fluid was coming out clear. No change in with fluid flush? any advise out there 2007 STS 4.6 86,000 miles. is it safe to keep driving.
    Cadzilla8 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Power Steering

Pump going out? Probably, yes. Common in all but the ZF-equipped models. Not rare, even then.

Good luck.

easy fix you think? i am mechanically inclined but no expert. or should i let dealership fix? i.e......special tools, tricks to make it easier. ZF-equip? thanks
    EChas3 for your time.
    Cadzilla8 likes this.

zlgibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldorado ETC
    I had the the same issue with my 05 sts v6 didnt wine untill it completely went out, my power steering lines also had metal shavings in it which can cause rack and pinon problems so I took it to the dealer the pump is not to bad about 400 bucks but if the lines are bad looking at roughly 900 bucks total.

Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8

Having exact same issues right now. I ordered pump and it's coming tomorrow. Not sure what I should do, dealer quoted me 900$ just to get pump and change it. Figured I could do myself so ordered pump read up more on it and seems like this is definitely a job for the dealer. Should I bother asking the dealer if they will install the pump if I supply the part or would a regular shop be able to do it?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

You don't take your own eggs to the restaurant or your own parts to the garage. There are two hitches to the job; getting the output hose fitting loose from the pump which requires a modified crow's foot wrench and getting the pulley off and back on which requires a special tool that you might be able to rent from the auto parts store.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I ALWAYS take my own parts to the shop, dealer included.

I think I'm going to leave this job to the professionals. Already bought the part so going to go to a friendly shop hopefully he can do the job and not make it a bigger ordeal than it already is. Anything I should warn him about before he jumps in?

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS..just got back from the shop with mine ...thought it was the pump...turned to be the high pressure hose coming in at $500 bucks installed....and the only thing on the damn car thats not under warranty!!!

The morning after I order tires and brakes my pump fails... just my luck.
    Can anyone who has changed the pump (themself or had dealer do it) please describe if it was an easy fix or if i should take my car to cadillac or could a third party shop be able to handle this? Sorta ruled out doing it myself

jdm23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts

Same here, 07 sts power steering is gone

i called GM dealer told them i was having power-steering pump problem they ordered one for me, quoted $600 parts and labor, so i am leaving it to the certified mechanics. my uncle is a retired GM certified master mechanic he recommended i take it to the dealer for warranty work and it does take special tools. He said it would not seize up. He stated once the fluid starts looking dark and kinda thick (and it was) some thing is wrong or gonna go wrong. I hope its not the hoses instead of pump. i will post results when they fix car, which is one day job. see what they say the appointment is monday the 21 so standby

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by JAYRAT View Post
    power steering goes out, does not work at idle. I take off or rev up rpm's while parked works just fine. pump going out? no
    whining noises, no leaks. Is there a filter? fluid was dark color, siphoned out from reservoir and filled it up until fluid was coming out clear. No change in with fluid flush? any advise out there 2007 STS 4.6 86,000 miles. is it safe to keep driving.
    Hello JAYRAT,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your STS losing power steering. I am glad to hear that the dealership ordered you the part and are addressing this issue for you. Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions or concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadzilla8 View Post
    The morning after I order tires and brakes my pump fails... just my luck.
    Can anyone who has changed the pump (themself or had dealer do it) please describe if it was an easy fix or if i should take my car to cadillac or could a third party shop be able to handle this? Sorta ruled out doing it myself
    Hello Cadzilla,

I apologize that your pump failed after you ordered tires and brakes as well. If you need any assistance setting up an appointment with the dealership, if you plan on taking your vehicle there, I would be more than happy to assist you. You can private message me if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07 View Post
    WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS..just got back from the shop with mine ...thought it was the pump...turned to be the high pressure hose coming in at $500 bucks installed....and the only thing on the damn car thats not under warranty!!!
    Hello BlueAngel#07,

I apologize that your concern ended up being the high pressure hose and that it was not covered under warranty. I know how frustrating out of pocket expenses can be. Please let me know if there is anything that I can look into for you.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

zlgibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldorado ETC
    Like I said I took mine to the dealer cost 900 bucks. Yes any shop could do it but most of the ones I asked quoted me higher then the dealer

Well last night was just checking out what the job would entail under the hood and I had new pump... One thing lead to another and 3 and a half hours later new pump in and power steering is back!!! No specialty tools but did use torch to help get pulley off and used washers and long put pulley back on all in all it was a tough job but not impossible. Happy I did it myself and saved a nice chunk of change.
    dkozloski and BlueAngel#07 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.