New to me STS, lots to discuss (to include HUD, seats, HVAC, Navigation etc)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, New to me STS, lots to discuss (to include HUD, seats, HVAC, Navigation etc) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I picked up a 2005 Black/Black 1SG AWD about 2 months ago. It has 124k. I figured I ...
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4

New to me STS, lots to discuss (to include HUD, seats, HVAC, Navigation etc)

Hey guys,

I picked up a 2005 Black/Black 1SG AWD about 2 months ago. It has 124k. I figured I would outline a few things I've tried to correct, and throw a few remaining problems out there for a little help!

I'm very happy with the car, and in terms of driving dynamics would slot it above my 2009 CTS (which had everything short of AWD and FE3 suspension.) Really, I think the Northstar alone makes the sigma car really wake up.

Anyway, I've resolved / improved some issues to include:

-Blurry HUD
    Partially removed dash and pulled out HUD unit. Disassembled, cleaned, tried to replace clear polycarbonate lens/cover (new one caused distortion). I ended up peeling it off and operating with no lens. Great improvement, but it's still a little odd. I've had a 1994 Cutlass and a 2005 Vette with HUD, so I know what it should look like. I've noticed that if I tilt my head a bit to the right, it's perfectly clear. Also, since the lens is removed, if I push down on the right lower corner of the adjustment mirror, the display is corrected. I'm not sure if a component has warped, may dash has warped, or what. I'm guessing the adjustment mirror is a little off. I have verified the windshield is HUD compatible.

-Bad micro switches on driver's side
    Replaced inner handle unit

-Burned out little marker lamps in headlight
    Replaced with LED. Also removed / resealed driver's side lens.

-Headlight lens discoloration
    Fixed. Lots of sandpaper.

-NAV firmware was old version with ridiculous location for MRC selection and driver memory presets.
    Typical story. Back and forth with Rick Hendrick Cadillac Norfolk for over a month, basically arguing the existence of the update, even with TSB in hand. Two weeks ago after the parts guy had "researched" ordering the update discs, he told me that the service department would need to download it on to their TECH 2 Finally was able to acquire the discs from Chris at Rippy. THANKS CHRIS, YOU RULE! Went back to dealer and was told minimum $125 to perform update. Went next door to Rick Hendrick Chevy dealer, $125. (Note that this update should be free, as 2010? and up NAV discs wont work until update is performed, so $200 paperweight until you shell out $125 to make it work. STUPID.) Called NAVTEQ from Chevy parking lot, got transferred to regional GM representative, relayed entire story with dealer info. He understood the fact that the firmware is supposed to be complimentary, warranty or not. Once our conversation ended, I called the next closest Caddy dealer, Duke Cadillac in Suffolk. Service manager ended up being a previous contact from Rick Hendrick Caddy who had been promoted. He was somewhat familiar with the update, said it was not a problem at all and to come in Monday. Update was performed free of charge. I thanked him profusely, and now all my service (that I don't do myself) will be done at Duke, even though they're 35 miles away vice 7 for Hendrick. Got a 2012 NAV disc, works great. Changing MRC modes on the fly is great too. Bluetooth seems to have improved.

Those are the more or less resolved issues, but I have a few remaining. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-HVAC Mode, passenger temperature, and driver temperature actuators are ALL going bad! I get the impression there is a way to calibrate these without a TECH 2, but have found nothing specific to our cars. I have used white lithium grease to no avail.
    MODE actuator is making the clicking noise of death, and fails to fully engage in most positions. Lower position results in somewhere between 50-80% of the air going down, with the rest still coming out the upper vents.
    PASS TEMP actuator seems to be calibrated pretty well, as small increments of temperature selection cause it to move lightly in the appropriate direction. It just hunts (clicks quietly) about 75% of the time.
    DRIVER TEMP actuator is about to get torn out in an angry fit of rage. Heck, the MODE one while I'm at it because it will undoubtedly click away, mocking me. Anyway, the DRIVER TEMP was stuck in the full cold position until last week. I pried out on a section of linkage, there was a loud "POP", and it started moving. It now stays in the full cold position from about 60-80 degrees (in manual mode) and then shifts abrubtly to full hot position from 81-90. There is no in between. I suspect calibration may resolve this?
    In summary my main things here are:
    Any tips on MODE actuator replacement short of pulling dash / dash carrier? Regardless, has anyone done it or found an alternative fix?
    Any tips / threads detailing replacement of either of the TEMP actuators?
    Anyone successfully performed calibration and seen improvement?

-Driver's seat cushion front UP/DOWN switch. Has anyone had an issue with the switch being goofy? The UP/DOWN portion has no spring action, and seems to only move UP, and the seat is already all the way up. I cannot adjust down. UPDATE: I just fixed this. The individual switch for that function was not aligned with the switch operator (the part you grab).
    -Driver's side lumbar can be heard doing something in all switch positions, but no effect on the seat. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given! If you guys have any questions about what I've managed to fix, please feel free to ask!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Re: New to me STS, lots to discuss (to include HUD, seats, HVAC, Navigation etc)

I posted a few pics of my replacement of the passenger side actuator here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post11021257

I don't think there's calibration, I think the resistive surface wears off and you have to replace the module. The passenger one was hard to reach mainly due to a screw without much clearance (and being up in the dash, much easier to remove the glove box, but it's still kind of way up there.

Re: New to me STS, lots to discuss (to include HUD, seats, HVAC, Navigation etc)

Thanks Midnight. I had previously come across your post. It's the most detailed one on the topic I've been able to find so far. Did you follow any particular procedure when replacing, or just "plug and play"?

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Is there any kind of tint on the windshield? Or any type of layer out on the windshield to provide uv prevention or reduction of heat in the interior without necessarily even having a visible tint?

If there is, it was applied very well. Tint is factory, and I have seen nothing indicating other films or coatings of any sort.

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG

Do you have OEM (GM) windshield or not? Gm use some sort of film inside the glass to see projected pics, windshield for HUD has different part number from non-HUD windshield. So check it.

I have already checked the windshield. It is the same brand installed from the factory, and it actually has a line that says "HUD". I am reasonably certain that my problem is not from the windshield.

Well you seem like you know what to look for to see if you have tints. But a good way to check is to look at the dot matrix that surrounds the edges of the windshield. The edges of the windshield are solid black to cover up the adhesive that is used to attach it to the car. Between the solid black and the clear portions is a dotted portion which is meant for appearance/additional sun protection. The dots come up off the windshield on the inside portion so it's easy to see bubbling or portions of the tint that are not in direct contact with the windshield due to these dots. You can inspect those and see if that gets you anywhere.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Nice job getting the Nav upgrade 'comped'. Typically, it is not covered unless an STS is under warranty. Although it can be done in less than an hour, most shops do have a 1-hour minimum. They keep the two disks, so a charge for those is not appropriate (and each dealer's first set was free, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Well you seem like you know what to look for to see if you have tints. But a good way to check is to look at the dot matrix that surrounds the edges of the windshield. The edges of the windshield are solid black to cover up the adhesive that is used to attach it to the car. Between the solid black and the clear portions is a dotted portion which is meant for appearance/additional sun protection. The dots come up off the windshield on the inside portion so it's easy to see bubbling or portions of the tint that are not in direct contact with the windshield due to these dots. You can inspect those and see if that gets you anywhere.
    Great idea. I'll take a look at that. The only suspect thing to me (without having checked your suggestion out yet) is the condition of the windshield. It has almost certainly been replaced, as it's practically devoid of any road rash. Has anyone ever had an OEM HUD windshield with a slightly double reflection?

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Nice job getting the Nav upgrade 'comped'. Typically, it is not covered unless an STS is under warranty. Although it can be done in less than an hour, most shops do have a 1-hour minimum. They keep the two disks, so a charge for those is not appropriate (and each dealer's first set was free, anyway.
    Oh believe me, I know all about it. I scoured these threads and was pretty pissed off when they were going to still charge me $125 when I had produced the discs for them. If they had been helpful from the start and ordered the discs (or found their old copy provided they ever had them), I would have been happy to shell out the $125. Their loss. And now I won't have any service performed there.

Not sure what you mean by double reflection but I got a tint on my windshield, Llumar's Air 80 Blue. There's basically no tint (actually a slight blue hue) but it keeps the car cool and protects the interior from UV radiation. At the same time I got Llumar's F1 Pinnacle Series Ceramic tint on the rest of the windows. Top notch stuff. You need to contact Llumar and see what tint shop is the nearest to you that carries the F1. The shops require special training, etc. Anyway, great tint but the windshield gives off a distorted look, especially when it gets dark out and lights shine on it. Long story short, there was a bad LOT of the air 80 blue so I'm getting it redone under warranty. This slightly distorts the HUD. So you might either have a cheap tint, or a bad batch of a good tint, either of which could contribute to blurriness.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Not sure what you mean by double reflection but I got a tint on my windshield, Llumar's Air 80 Blue. There's basically no tint (actually a slight blue hue) but it keeps the car cool and protects the interior from UV radiation. At the same time I got Llumar's F1 Pinnacle Series Ceramic tint on the rest of the windows. Top notch stuff. You need to contact Llumar and see what tint shop is the nearest to you that carries the F1. The shops require special training, etc. Anyway, great tint but the windshield gives off a distorted look, especially when it gets dark out and lights shine on it. Long story short, there was a bad LOT of the air 80 blue so I'm getting it redone under warranty. This slightly distorts the HUD. So you might either have a cheap tint, or a bad batch of a good tint, either of which could contribute to blurriness.
    Well, it looks like I have no film of any sort applied, although I am now certain that the windshield was replaced.
    Just to reiterate, the image is not blurry, it is a weirdly offset double image, and only offset by a very small amount. Just enough to really mess with your eyes when you try to focus on the image. Again, if I tilt my head slightly to the right, the image is near perfect. If it tilt my head to the left, the effect gets worse. If I tilt to the right beyond the point at which it is "aligned", it becomes double again. Try doing this in your car, and see if you have the same effect, or is there no difference in image quality regardless of how you tilt your head.
    Also, in case it was missed previously. Since I have the clear cover removed from the HUD, I can actually touch the curved adjustment mirror. When applying light pressure to the bottom-right corner, the image aligns correctly.

Below is a picture of the stamp on the windshield. The giveaway is the lack of GM symbol, and although not visible in the picture, the spot where the GM symbol should be is slightly distorted, and the letters can just barely be made out. This is clearly an OEM (vice OE) replacement, which should be otherwise identical.
    Attachment 153673

For reference, here is the stamp on the driver's side window.
    Attachment 153681

End result is I either have a defective windshield, or my theory about the adjustment mirror being warped is correct. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I'll check tomorrow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.