Sunroof drains clogged
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Sunroof drains clogged in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Ariel Segarra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 2008

Question Sunroof drains clogged

Sunroof drain clogged

My STS have the sunroof drains clogged and I try to clean with thin cable. Now itís linking under the dash
    How I can fix this problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Sunroof drains clogged

This is really bad news. It is not going to be an easy fix at all, but needs to be done. I'll try to find some pictures to post, but I'd put money on the fact that your dash is going to have to come out. This is a lot of work (I've had mine out for other reasons). There is never any guarantee the drain won't separate, but the preferred method is to shoot some compressed air down the line instead of using a wire.

Which side is leaking?

----------

There are a couple of possibilities. The exploded view shows each drain as a single piece. This may or may not be the case. GM may service this as an "assembly", in which case it may be a rigid upper drain tube with an attached flexible tube toward the bottom where it will ultimately exit the side of the vehicle. If this is the case, the two pieces have likely come apart in which case your dash will need to come out.

If this is in fact a single drain, it may have come apart at the connection where it exits the side of the vehicle. If this occurred, you may be able to pull the drain out from the side of the car to (hopefully) reattach the connection without removing the dash. I wouldn't hold my breath on this option, however.

Is there any sign of leaking into the headliner? It is conceivable that the drain detached from the sunroof assembly and water is running down the headliner, pillar and to the floor. I don't think this is likely the cause either, but it's possible. You would see signs of water leaking into the headliner. By removing the 'A' and 'B' pillar trim, the grab handles and pulling the door opening weather strip down, you should be able to gently pull the headliner down enough to see if this is the case and to visualize the drain connections.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Id bet its your HVAC drain clogged and NOT your sunroof.

That drain is accessible just to the right of the gas pedal behind the carpet. Its a rubber 90 deg elbow. Squeeze it a few times and see if water comes pouring out.

I will verify
    Thanks

Sorry, I got the impression that it had not started leaking inside until after you cleaned the drains with wire. Also, you still have not mentioned which side the water leak is on.

The leaking in both sides of the dash. This morning I supply some water through the drains with a bottle an the leaking start again. Now I need to rich the drains connection. Did someone Know or have a repair manual for this model. BTW the wire was not sharp its had a lope. It may disconnect the house from the base.

There are a couple of options for a service manual. The first, which many seem to use, is www.alldata.com. You can subscribe (fee unknown) to a specific vehicle for a period of one year (if I recall correctly). Alternatively, you can also subscribe to the same Service Information system that GM dealerships use at www.acdelcotds.com. There are different options, but for $20 you can subscribe for three days. This system covers all GM vehicles and you are not limited to just one during your subscription period.

The news is not good. Like I mentioned, I've had my dash out twice now (second time was far easier), but this isn't going to be a two or three hour fix. I looked at the procedure to replace the drains (you may not need to actually replace them, so not all of the steps may be required), but if they are, GM specifically notes that you must remove the front doors to properly access the drains in the door jambs. Again, depending on what you find, this step may not be required.

Best of luck with this.

Thanks for the information I have a ? if take out the Pillar A & B the airbag will not explode?
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    There are a couple of options for a service manual. The first, which many seem to use, is www.alldata.com. You can subscribe (fee unknown) to a specific vehicle for a period of one year (if I recall correctly). Alternatively, you can also subscribe to the same Service Information system that GM dealerships use at www.acdelcotds.com. There are different options, but for $20 you can subscribe for three days. This system covers all GM vehicles and you are not limited to just one during your subscription period.

The news is not good. Like I mentioned, I've had my dash out twice now (second time was far easier), but this isn't going to be a two or three hour fix. I looked at the procedure to replace the drains (you may not need to actually replace them, so not all of the steps may be required), but if they are, GM specifically notes that you must remove the front doors to properly access the drains in the door jambs. Again, depending on what you find, this step may not be required.

Best of luck with this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    ALWAYS disable the SIR system when working near any if the airbags.

As Moist says, be sure to disable the Supplemental Restraint System first. You can do this by removing the fuse and letting the car sit for 1 minute. The specific disable/enable procedure is in the GM Service Information, and I assume it will be on the AllData site as well. I only ever use the GM information myself. Hopefully all goes well for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.