05 STS Key Fob spare...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS Key Fob spare... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My car came with the #1 fob, no #2. Wondering if there is a supplier that you guys recommend getting ...
    REALTORBENJAMIN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 RWD

05 STS Key Fob spare...

My car came with the #1 fob, no #2.

Wondering if there is a supplier that you guys recommend getting one from? I don't want to wait until I lose this one before I get a backup.

There's a few on ebay (some new some used).

Local dealership quoted me between 80-200 bucks depending on the remote.

PS Is it fairly "easy" to program?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: 05 STS Key Fob spare...

Yes easy to program. Just get one on eBay or something. Make sure you type in 2005 sts key fob and make sure you get the right one - remote start? Also make sure the Cadillac logo is on the front. They sell ones without the logo.

----------

Oh crap just saw you're in Vancouver. That changes things. If you have a canada car (do you?) you need to have 2 fobs paired to your car in order to add a 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    Yes easy to program. Just get one on eBay or something. Make sure you type in 2005 sts key fob and make sure you get the right one - remote start? Also make sure the Cadillac logo is on the front. They sell ones without the logo. ---------- Oh crap just saw you're in Vancouver. That changes things. If you have a canada car (do you?) you need to have 2 fobs paired to your car in order to add a 3rd.
    Yeah Canadian car.

I only need a 2nd one so that works for me.

Do I have to get a remote "2" or is that only for if there was a 2nd driver that has their own settings under driver 2?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

IIRC the FOBs are identical internally (at least for 2008+) and the numbering is just for the end-user's convenience to know who is driver 1 and driver 2.
    I would assume that GM doesn't make different FOB internals for #1/#2 for any of their line.

Might be time to see about upgrading to the 2008+ FOBs since you are looking to buy one anyways, might as well just get two and have a better pair of FOBs.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    IIRC the FOBs are identical internally (at least for 2008+) and the numbering is just for the end-user's convenience to know who is driver 1 and driver 2.
    I would assume that GM doesn't make different FOB internals for #1/#2 for any of their line.
    Correct. The car "remembers" the first one paired as the driver 1 fob, and the second one paired as the driver 2 fob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    IIRC the FOBs are identical internally (at least for 2008+) and the numbering is just for the end-user's convenience to know who is driver 1 and driver 2. I would assume that GM doesn't make different FOB internals for #1/#2 for any of their line. Might be time to see about upgrading to the 2008+ FOBs since you are looking to buy one anyways, might as well just get two and have a better pair of FOBs.
    I recall reading a post in this forum stating that the newer fobs needed to be modified to work with the 2005. Im looking for more of a plug and play solution.

Newer fob looks way better so if I'm mistaken, and it is fairly straightforward to program, I'm in.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I do not believe any modifications are required other than physically to affix a 2005-7 key to fit inside the 2008 & later fob. I know there are none for 2006 & 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Yes easy to program. Just get one on eBay or something. Make sure you type in 2005 sts key fob and make sure you get the right one - remote start? Also make sure the Cadillac logo is on the front. They sell ones without the logo.

----------

Oh crap just saw you're in Vancouver. That changes things. If you have a canada car (do you?) you need to have 2 fobs paired to your car in order to add a 3rd.
    reviving this thread from the dead. finally got some time to try and program the key fob i got on ebay, and the procedure with turning the key in the door isn't working. you mentioned i need 2 fobs paired to the car in order to add the 3rd? does that mean i am out of luck adding the 2nd?

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

A dealer can do this for you. Danny

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest View Post
    A dealer can do this for you. Danny
    booked at the dealer to go in today. $67.00 + tax for half hour labour charge to do it. Cock.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

REALTORBENJAMIN, I was having problem trying to move fob #3 to #1 position due to I lost #1. Ended up buying a new fob from a GMC/Buick dealer. $130. and that there was no charge for programing. If I could have used my old fob the cost would be $30. Danny

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest
    REALTORBENJAMIN, I was having problem trying to move fob #3 to #1 position due to I lost #1. Ended up buying a new fob from a GMC/Buick dealer. $130. and that there was no charge for programing. If I could have used my old fob the cost would be $30. Danny
    I guess I can't complain, yet. Bought the fob for 45 bucks on eBay. They ran out of time yesterday, despite my appointment so I have to reschedule. Said there's a chance it won't work if the remote isn't authentic, which it looks like.

Also I hear BMW keys are $300.00 not including programming.

moochiek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

If you are in Canada, you can still program second fob for free. I just bought a 2005 STS V8 with NAV etc and it came with only one fob. I bought an OEM one (with Cadillac logo) on ebay and tried Method 3. It didn't work because they did something to the door that it takes like 2 seconds for each cycle so you can't do 5 in 5 seconds.
    Next I tried cycling the key. in the door and pushing door lock button but there seems to be delay on that one too.

So I figured I will use the one working fob and I did - key cycle and 2 pushes on 'closed lock' on the remote, repeated fast five times.

It worked, it displayed: READY FOR FOB 3 and once inserted in the slot, it was programed in a second. I tested it and works fine.

The limitation of this free programming is that you end up with fob 1 and fob 3 but who cares? It's free!

moochiek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

2005 Cadillac STS V8 with NAV

There is a way to program a second fob for free in Canada. You have to use Method one where one working fob and key is present. Since they put some kind of delay on the door, the 5 cycles can never be done in time. But, I found a way to get an OEM fob (with logo) to program as fob #3. Here is how:

I inserted the key in the door and started first cycle, right after I pressed 'close lock' twice on the remote and repeated 5 times as quick as I could, a message 'READY FOR FOB 3' displayed and when OEM fob inserted in the console fob pocket it was instantly programmed.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Good morning, Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct information and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?
    REALTORBENJAMIN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moochiek
    2005 Cadillac STS V8 with NAV There is a way to program a second fob for free in Canada. You have to use Method one where one working fob and key is present. Since they put some kind of delay on the door, the 5 cycles can never be done in time. But, I found a way to get an OEM fob (with logo) to program as fob #3. Here is how: I inserted the key in the door and started first cycle, right after I pressed 'close lock' twice on the remote and repeated 5 times as quick as I could, a message 'READY FOR FOB 3' displayed and when OEM fob inserted in the console fob pocket it was instantly programmed. __________________________________________________ _____________ Good morning, Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct information and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?
    I'll have to try this today... What steps did you take to program it? Is it the one where you turn the key in the door like 5 times or whatever..

Feels like some sort of shaman ritual. I wouldn't be surprised if the sky's open and frogs start raining down if it's done correctly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.