05 STS Key Fob spare... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS Key Fob spare... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I believe a #3 fob will not utilize personalized settings and won't remote start car....
    ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: 05 STS Key Fob spare...

I believe a #3 fob will not utilize personalized settings and won't remote start car.

moochiek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Yes, Method 1:

The vehicle must be OFF.
    Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
    Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
    The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
    Place the replacement key fob in the console fob pocket with the buttons facing forward.
    A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or MAX FOBS LEARNED.

The fob will do everything except as posted after my post, it will not remote start the car, haven't tried setting up a new driver with it either.

Dino1SG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgm
    I believe a #3 fob will not utilize personalized settings and won't remote start car.
    I'm pretty sure you can program up to 4 remote start transmitters or "fobs" and all the functions will work from the remote (on all GM vehicle equipped with factory remote start capability; AP8, etc). Now, as for memory/personalization presets, you are correct - only fob one and fob two.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

There's a chance someone might be able to match fob's as 1 & 2 for a Canadian car. Since the programming sequence begins with the mechanical key, this would require an assistant to get started.

Stand with both fob's over 35 feet away from the car and have your assistant start the procedure and do the Canadian Fob Ritual. If your assistant tells you 'Waiting For FOB 1', you are on your way. If not, toss in your new one and get ready to try again sometime.

----------

The remote functions (Lock, Unlock, Start, Trunk) work up to 300 feet away. Use phones

REALTORBENJAMIN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 RWD

Ok, I put the key in the door cylinder and turned it to the right once then hit the lock button on the remote twice (horn honks) and repeated that I think 5 times. The DIC then showed READY FOR FOB 3. I then put the Key fob 2 that I bought off eBay in the pocket and it then showed READY FOR FOB 4. Success?

Fob 2 doesn't do anything though. Could be the battery is dead?

I did the process again to see if I screwed up the process but it says READY FOR FOB 4 this time, so I figured it accepted it.

Did you follow the programming procedure exactly, including pressing the Lock button on the remote to lock it in?

From the above, it sounds like you added a fob as #3 but may not have followed the manual (or in the post(s) linked in the 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum, it's easy to miss a step. To match a new (lost) #2, start with all the fobs out-of-range and the DIC will ask for #1.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    Did you follow the programming procedure exactly, including pressing the Lock button on the remote to lock it in? From the above, it sounds like you added a fob as #3 but may not have followed the manual (or in the post(s) linked in the 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum, it's easy to miss a step. To match a new (lost) #2, start with all the fobs out-of-range and the DIC will ask for #1.
    I just did the procedure where you put the physical key in the door, turn it (cycle) then hit lock on the remote twice. And repeat that set 5X.

That asked for Fob 3. I put my spare fob #2 in the pocket in the console then it asked for Fob 4. I hit the ACC button to turn the power in the car off.

After removing a fob from the pocket, my 2006 Manual says to:

Remove the keyless access transmitter and press
    the unlock button twice to initialize it.

The procedure linked from the 'sticky' just says to activate the fob, so I don't if it varies. Resetting all the fobs (starts with #1) adds another set of double-locks at the end before all old fobs are permanently 'locked out'. (Although some memory of its pairing appears to persist.

If you don't have an owners manual, you can download a pdf version around here somewhere. A paper one is nice to have in the glovebox (even if not much else will fit. Cheap from Helm.com.

|

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    After removing a fob from the pocket, my 2006 Manual says to: Remove the keyless access transmitter and press the unlock button twice to initialize it. The procedure linked from the 'sticky' just says to activate the fob, so I don't if it varies. Resetting all the fobs (starts with #1) adds another set of double-locks at the end before all old fobs are permanently 'locked out'. (Although some memory of its pairing appears to persist. If you don't have an owners manual, you can download a pdf version around here somewhere. A paper one is nice to have in the glovebox (even if not much else will fit. Cheap from Helm.com. |
    Ok I'll try that.

I'm scared of starting from scratch and programming all of them in case something doesn't work and I have no key to start the car lol.

Can't show up to work showing houses on a bicycle.... Orrrrr can I...

Is there a way to deprogram a remote so that I can try the procedure again?

Dino1SG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Using the Tech2 scan tool, all fobs can be invalidated, so you can start fresh.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by REALTORBENJAMIN View Post
    Ok I'll try that.

I'm scared of starting from scratch and programming all of them in case something doesn't work and I have no key to start the car lol.

Can't show up to work showing houses on a bicycle.... Orrrrr can I...
    You an't start the car with the key. No fob, no start.

Read your manual or the thread linked at the top of the forum. If you start the fob matching procedure with all fobs out of sensing range, it starts with #1. No big deal. I did it a few times when trying to find a way to match a single fob to two cars (nope, not possible.)
    REALTORBENJAMIN likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.