replacing shift solenoid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddalder
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, replacing shift solenoid in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 05 STS shift solenoid is not working I am engaging out of park with the help of a screwdriver ...
    sjs05sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Question replacing shift solenoid

My 05 STS shift solenoid is not working I am engaging out of park with the help of a screwdriver I went to my local dealer and purchased a new solenoid to $80 has anyone replaced this part yet and if so how is it done?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: replacing shift solenoid

I don't think I've ever heard of one going bad, not that it isn't possible. What diagnostic steps did you take to confirm it is the solenoid and not either wiring or the controlling module?

I recently had some work done at the dealer so I was able to have the dealer confirm that it appears to be the solenoid after he hooked up the computer to diagnose to problem I was quoted $500 to repair the problem. Today I attempted to install the solenoid but was unable to remove the center console due to fear of breaking it so does anyone know how to remove the console correctly.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

The console is actually quite easy to get out. Mine has been out on a few occasions. There are eight bolts that hold the console in. You must pull the carpet down from along the sides of the console to access these. There are four on each side, two at the front and two at the rear. If this has never been done, the carpet may be quite stiff. You'll need to move the seats fully forward to access the rear bolts. As for the carpet, I'd start pulling it down at the front and then move rearward.

You can see in the photo below, there is a black bracket toward the rear of the console. There are little tangs which can catch if you're trying to lift it up. You may need to slide a screwdriver in to pry this slightly outward. I'm assuming that you haven't had any difficulty removing the other necessary trim around the shifter...

Guy.Seminerio likes this.

BarrySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS NS

My neighbor has a newer type Impala and the shifter solenoid stopped working. I fixed it for her and it was a broken wire going to the solenoid, right at the connector going into the solenoid. If I remember correctly, the Impala solenoid "rides" with the shifter so the wire is flexed constantly.

Be sure to check the wiring as well.

Great thanks this helps a lot I will give it a try maybe this weekend I am still using a screwdriver to get out of park I will let you know if I get it...yes I remove the wood grain parts around the shifter no problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.