Engine running terrible, throwing Cam Position Sensor Codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Engine running terrible, throwing Cam Position Sensor Codes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Help!!!! I'm having problems with the 2005 STS with N*. Throwing codes for Cam Position Sensor. (P0341, P0342, P0345, P0346). ...
    ABQDon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Engine running terrible, throwing Cam Position Sensor Codes

Help!!!!

I'm having problems with the 2005 STS with N*.

Throwing codes for Cam Position Sensor. (P0341, P0342, P0345, P0346). Different codes a varying times. One time even threw all four at once.

When the engine is cold, it seems to run fine. As the engine heats up, then begins to run rough. Replaced Intake Cam Position Sensor on Right side. Worked fine until engine heated up, then same problem.

When I say running terrible, I really mean it, knocking sound, exhaust smells terrible. Feel that whatever is causing this problem is throwing the timing out so far and causing it to run extremely rich.

Feel it's an electrical problem. On several occasions, running terrible, stop engine and restart and it runs fine. At one point during testing, was idling fine then the knocking would begin at 2000 RPM then disappear when dropping below 2000 RPM. Other times, problem persists all the way down to idle. When it is in the state of running terrible, tries to stall when transmission is trying to downshift into 1st.

I'm at a total loss and ready to pull my hair out over this problem. About a year ago, similar symptoms just before the timing chain broke. You could imagine what that cost!!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Cam actuator seals have failed and its fouling the cam sensors. Pull them. Ill bet they are soaked in oil....

jasonjsimon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Engine running terrible, throwing Cam Position Sensor Codes

Wow, can't believe how many of the same problems I'm having with my car as others posting today. This is the 4th problem posted today that I have in common.
    Anyway, I'm getting the P0345 and P0346 codes pretty regularly. I've noticed that at times my engine is very sluggish and gets bad gas mileage and other times when everything is fine. Can you direct us to a tutorial or explain where the cam sensors and cam actuator seals are? Any help would be appreciated.

Unless you know what your doing you can't. They must be aligned properly. Thank you VVT...

Thank BadCad for the quick response. If they are not aligned properly, will they fail over time? I'm assuming that the actuators would have to be replaced if a leak developed? What kind of cost would be associated with the alignment (i.e. will the front part of the engine have to be torn down or is everything external)?

Quote Originally Posted by ABQDon
    Thank BadCad for the quick response. If they are not aligned properly, will they fail over time? I'm assuming that the actuators would have to be replaced if a leak developed? What kind of cost would be associated with the alignment (i.e. will the front part of the engine have to be torn down or is everything external)?
    The car won't run. If it does it will run like crap or at the very least continue to oil foul the sensor.

My response was more of, what's involved in the repair and how much would it typically cost? Does replacing the actuator seal involve tearing the front of the engine apart?

SSN652 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

My STS is currently throwing P2090 code. (P2090 B Camshaft Pos Actuator Ctrl Circ Low Bank1)
    The dealership says this.
    They recommend replacing all cam shaft magnets, and a few other smaller components, at one time.
    Cost 1600 $$$$$
    This will also include resealing valve covers as they say they have to remove them. Also requires taking "front" of engine plate off. This exposes the timing chains. Probably a good time to add those in since it will all be apart and not have to pay double labor later on.
    Money is tight here!!
    If the magnets create the oil leak, allowing oil to penetrate connectors and send low voltage signals, why cant just the magnets be replaced with
    in the cam sensor housing?
    I am beside myself thinking the dealer is taking me for a ride, however some of what they say does make sense.
    Would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed from a qualified sub sailor......
    Thanks,
    SSN652(ss)

Theres the right way to do it and then the cheap way... They are never the same.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

Temp fix. Take connectors off then spray electronic contact cleaner on pigtails and sensor then blow both dry. Pop back on then enjoy life. I check mine every now and then and only a couple of drops so I repeat this cleaning.

jasonjsimon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warren View Post
    Temp fix. Take connectors off then spray electronic contact cleaner on pigtails and sensor then blow both dry. Pop back on then enjoy life. I check mine every now and then and only a couple of drops so I repeat this cleaning.
    I haven't been able to find a good diagram that helps to describe where these connectors\sensors are. Does anyone have one?

Thanks

SSN652 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Will try this, worth a few bucks....
    If it works will the warning indicator light clear?

achavez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 4.6ltr 1SE

I know the engines are nothing alike but I replaced the intake cam sensor on a friends v6 cts. it was very gunked up but even once replaced; the code would still come back. after a little research it turns out the car was very low on oil and that sometimes throws the cam sensor codes.

Thanks for the feedback, it's well worth a try and report back my results.

Eventually, though, I would like to get the problem fixed. From BadCad's post he stated that the Actuator seal has failed. How far does the engine have to be torn down to replace this seal? With the vehicle only about 6 mo. post repair for broken timing chain (replacement of MANY parts including sprockets and right head), I'm very concerned that this may be a recurring problem or is it just bad luck?

There was oil in the connectors as BadCad predicted. I cleaned out with contact cleaner and blew dry.

Afterwards, the vehicle ran well until it warms up. Once it warms up the same condition exists. I feel that the problem is electrical in nature as when it starts running rough at idle, I can turn the engine off and restart it and it runs fine. I appears that whatever the problem is then is cleared and doesn't reappear until RPM goes above 2000 RPM.

I'm getting very tired of this problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.