How do I determine if I have "active" steering?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JimD
  • 1 Post By Guy.Seminerio
  • 1 Post By ddalder
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, How do I determine if I have "active" steering? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2009 STS with Northstar V8. Gives the occasional warning "Service Steering SIS", and the power assist goes away until the ...
    KTKelly is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do I determine if I have "active" steering?

2009 STS with Northstar V8.

Gives the occasional warning "Service Steering SIS", and the power assist goes away until the car is turned off and re-started.

No label in the trunk area, or anywhere else for that matter, so I'm not able to check if this car has the active steering option or not (or any other options ).

Any other way for me to determine what set up it has?

Will a VIN check help determine how it's equipped?

Thanks,
    KT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: How do I determine if I have "active" steering?

The label is on the underside of the spare tire cover. There is a sensor mounted on the steering shaft to supply a signal to the stability control system. The "Service Steering System" message usually indicates a failure of that sensor. The dealer should be able to confirm by reading the codes. That said, I have never heard of active steering... You can get a VIN readout of the car at www.compnine.com but you will have to pay for it. One of the dealers on the forum might hook you up, however.

Edit: I looked up the active steering. I was only available on the AWD V8...it's possible if your car is one.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Somewhere in the vehicle there will be an RPO decal listing assembly codes for that car.

In your case, perhaps a decal on the bottom surface of the spare tire cover?
    Subsailor613 likes this.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Cool Re: How do I determine if I have "active" steering?

Your's being a 2005, I would get it checked by someone who can fix it UNDER WARRANTY.
    I had a 2005, and the Steering went OUT, left it overnight,
    and they replaced a whole bunch of stuff.
    However, LOST ALL the fluid FIRST !
    Happy Motoring

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by KTKelly View Post
    2009 STS with Northstar V8.

Gives the occasional warning "Service Steering SIS", and the power assist goes away until the car is turned off and re-started.

No label in the trunk area, or anywhere else for that matter, so I'm not able to check if this car has the active steering option or not (or any other options ).

Any other way for me to determine what set up it has?

Will a VIN check help determine how it's equipped?

Thanks,
    KT
    Hello KTKelly,

If you would like to private message me your VIN, or send it to me via email at socialmedia@gm.com if you cannot private message, I would be more than happy to give you a list of your RPO codes. Please include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. I am also sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your STS. If you would like any assistance working with a dealership to look into this, I would be happy to assist you with that as well. Thank you very much for your time, I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

KTKelly is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So,

It's finally figured out by the small independent "tire & auto repair shop" that I've used for several years.

The power steering pump is going out. Since it doesn't maintain enough pressure, the electronic module interrupts the power assist, and send the "service steering system" message.

The car DOES have active steering, even though there is no option label anywhere on the car, and no one could seem to determine the options from the VIN. Local dealer wouldn't even bother checking. But rather stated I would have to bring the car in for a service call.

In return for the lousy treatment, my local Cadillac dealer and GM, has lost a customer.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Are you listening GM? It's clear not all your dealers can be trusted to operate independently. You need to excersise more control or you will continue to lose customers because of these bad eggs.

Kelly, I'll say that the substandard level of service you got from that dealer is in the minority and that if you go on to the next dealer, it's likely you'll do a lot better. But I'll also say that I completely understand if your experience with them has turned you off to GM. Can't blame you.
    mkosharkii likes this.

STS-REAPER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I second that, cant deal with the stealerships anymore, i can never get a good deal! Had them run diagnostics recently and they failed to even quote me a price on the repairs, they just did not care at all since i wasn't purchasing a new vehicle. Maybe that wouldn't have made a difference either and if GM really cared their would be an official Cadillac forum through their site rather than snooping this forum...just sayin this is the stuff that lead up to their Ch.7...

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by KTKelly View Post
    The car DOES have active steering, even though there is no option label anywhere on the car, and no one could seem to determine the options from the VIN.
    How did you end up determining this? Active steering was a very uncommon option. Sometimes people mistake 'Active Steering' (which is actually part of Enhanced StabiliTrak) for variable effort steering which is entirely different.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Yea, sometimes I get the feeling there the personnel at the dealership put on airs of "days gone by". Sometimes they just don't get it.

Ya gotta take advantage of opportunities to earn the business of new customers and keep existing customers.

I haven't experienced this kind of behavior with my dealership's service department. My tech rep is a hard working soul who is very efficient and treats me with respect. But I often sense a feeling of superiority reeking from the sales staff. It can be laughable!

Quote Originally Posted by STS-REAPER View Post
    I second that, cant deal with the stealerships anymore, i can never get a good deal! Had them run diagnostics recently and they failed to even quote me a price on the repairs, they just did not care at all since i wasn't purchasing a new vehicle. Maybe that wouldn't have made a difference either and if GM really cared their would be an official Cadillac forum through their site rather than snooping this forum...just sayin this is the stuff that lead up to their Ch.7...

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    What is your RPO list?
    On the navigation config screen what does it say near the touring and performance suspension modes?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.